PDA

View Full Version : Advice about SCEL Operations

FlareArmed
29th Oct 2004, 07:18
My company will be flying a corporate jet into Santiago in the next month or so and it is our first visit.

Prior to our departure, we will be doing some familiarisation in a simulator and I was wondering if any locals can put me in the picture about how we would expect to be tracked, descended and frequency managed from the oceanic (Pacific) routes

Any local knowledge, contacts or links would be greatly appreciated to assist in making the simulator exercise realistic.

crazy_max
29th Oct 2004, 10:51
I have flown into SCEL many times when I was with an airline before, and recently in my corporate jet. As recent as 3 weeks ago.
There is nothing to worry about, perfect ATC operations, cat III ils, it is really a first world operation.
I would suggest Aerocardal as your FBO and handler, first rate guys....Talk to Francisco Horn...
www.aerocardal.com
[email protected]

Don`t go overboard with preparations.

Best regards,

FlareArmed
29th Oct 2004, 13:20
Max,

Thanks for the reply.

The main things we are concerned about is the CFIT risk is high and the OEI escape procedures are particularly complex (RW17 has four turns if an engine fails).

Our normal area of operation is particularly benign and the first glance of the Jepps indicates that SCEL is not a routine type of destination for us (Very high terrain and Cat III). We have a fairly stringent risk management policy and this is driving the simulator preparation. The equivalent in an airline is a route qualification.

If you can recall any operational details that would contribute to a good sim prep, it would be appreciated.

Glonass
29th Oct 2004, 19:58
FlareArmed,

I’ll try to provide you with the information you may want. As I see from your profile, you’ll be coming in from Australia, therefore, using the UL 348. Radio frequency at that point would be 10024 (Santiago Radio) and 128.1 or 126.3 (Santiago Center) closer to the coast. From MORSA file the UT 101 to VTN (113.3 – Ventanas). Perhaps, you’ll want to request ROBIK direct to VTN and shorten you’re flight time a little. Maybe, depending on traffic that day, approaching VTN (have a glance to your right side to appreciate Valparaiso and Viña del Mar) you can expect radar vector towards TBN (113.9 – Tabon). Anyway the radar vector should be fairly similar to a low airway going form VTN to TBN (I can’t remember its MEA). At some point you’ll be transferred to 119.7 Santiago Approach). After VTN you’ll probably be higher than your targeted profile because ATC can’t clear you to FL 90 until abeam OLMUE (it’s a fix you’ll find in the Terminal Area Chart). The important thing to keep in mind, in order to plan a good descent profile, is to cross TBN at FL 90 and you may want to be established at your clean speed at that point (I have no idea what your aircraft is capable of but its pretty much the same anyway). After TBN, expect to be cleared to the straight-in ILS Rwy 17 approach. Unless an earthquake is forecasted for the next day, weather conditions are fair at this time of the year. If it’s CAVOK the standard reported visibility is 5000-7000 m even tough once you descend through FL 70 into the smog, you’ll note the visibility looks more like 4000 m. Nevertheless, in November the chances of shooting a CAT III are very remote. If you’re flying with Murphy the ILS could be down and be forced to fly the VOR Rwy 17 approach but then again the APEC meeting is taking place in Santiago in November so they’ll make sure the full approach is available and they’ll probably paint it fluorescent on the ground as well. Chances of shooting an approach to RWY 35 are very remote too so as I said expect the straight-in ILS after TBN. Once cleared to the approach or close to 5000 ft you’ll be transferred to 118.1 (Santiago Tower). The ILS Rwy 17 approach is quite simple. Make sure though that you are cleared to the straight-in approach otherwise the ATC will be expecting you to make the whole pattern which includes a “shuttle” over UE NDB (220 – Lo Castro). Transition level, either FL 60 or FL 65 will be available on the ATIS (132.1 – alternates between Spanish and English). If for any reason you go-around during the approach you’ll be radar vectored, (be assured) always respecting minimum radar altitudes, for a new approach towards a right downwind leg. If you don’t feel comfortable with that you may request a climb and vectors for a full VOR DME ILS Rwy 17. If you don’t go around you’ll be expected to vacate the runway via the next taxiway which should be B (as in Bravo). You’ll then be transferred to 122.2 (Santiago Ground) and most probably be provided with a Follow Me vehicle all the way to the FBO or wherever you want to go (if you need a Follow Me once downtown let me know ;) ).

Now, as for your departure: get the numbers through the ATIS and contact 121.7 (Santiago Clearance) 10 min prior to planned departure time. You’ll be provided with a Follow Me vehicle if leaving from the FBO all the way to taxiway A. Departure is pretty much standard since there are not many different ways to get to threshold. Unless weather conditions predicts otherwise i.e. wind, expect Rwy 17 for take-off. After take-off frequency will be either 119.7 or 121.1 (Santiago Radar). The SID will be Leyda towards SNO (113.7 – Santo Domingo) and UL 348 all the way west; presuming you’ll fly airways.

I’ll provide you with the Engine Out procedure we use in our Company which consists in: take off from Rwy 17 continue climbing to FL 70, at DESIT (AMB [116.1 – Santiago] R-173 DME 7) turn right towards TAL (240 – Talagante) from there proceed to SNO (113.7 – Santo Domingo). With that pattern you will be flying over a valley all the way to the Ocean and you live to tell your grandkids.

I hope this helps. Should you require additional information please do not hesitate to let me know or PM me... and enjoy Santiago.

I presumed from your comments you are coming to Santiago – Arturo Merino Benitez Intl (SCEL). If you are planning to land at Santiago – Los Cerrillos (SCTI), now that’s a totally different ball game.

As I mentioned before, the APEC meetings are taking place mainly from November 14th to 21st. During that period you can expect more traffic than usual therefore some delays. As well, if you plan to come during those dates, be sure to book well in advance a parking slot at the FBO otherwise you may faced with some unpleasant surprises.

Cheers :ok:

FlareArmed
5th Nov 2004, 23:05
Glonass,

Thanks for the detailed reply.