PDA

View Full Version : Air Operator's Certificate

loachboy
28th Oct 2004, 23:55
As a new CPL (H) before getting on my trusty horse and heading off into the sunset in search of a job, I have had an idea for a Heli operation. (As most new guys do).
If I could find somebody to cross hire me a machine, how easy is it to operate under somebody elses AOC ?
Thought I might try you guys first before ringing the powers that be.

Thanks in advance and be gentle.

Loachboy

John Eacott
29th Oct 2004, 01:42
How easy? Lots of people seem to do it, only thing is that it is not permitted under the conditions of issue :rolleyes:

Civil Aviation Act 20.8 prohibits the transfer of an AOC. The use by an identity other than that to which the AOC is issued can also invalidate insurance; and any insurance company are likely to take a Get Out Of Jail card should they find the machine not being operated by the AOC holder :ooh:

WLM
29th Oct 2004, 02:05
Been there, done that, lost money...

The hurdles outweight any gains that you may think you can achieve. But if you wish to persist, here is the way I did it:

1/ Find a commercial operator willing to let you fly as a low time pilot in his/her machine ( better have minimum AUD300,000 collateral) as back up if you crash the machine (R44 as example)
2/ All advertising, revenue etc is done by his/her company, no deviation whatsoever, as John is correct about his statement.
3/ You are effectively employed as contract pilot in his/her books

Trust me, getting on your horse, and going looking for work is much easier and rewarding in the long run.

Regards
WLM:ugh:

belly tank
29th Oct 2004, 03:10
Also as John mentioned look at CAO 82.0 SECT 3 Use of borrowed certificates

Billywizz
2nd Nov 2004, 12:09
Would appreciate info on operating own Heli on someone's AOC.
Don't fancy getting bogged down in all the paperwork while trying to operate only one aircraft.

paco
2nd Nov 2004, 12:28
'seasy - just ring them up and ask if you can operate under their AOC. Since it cost them a lot of money to set up and they don't know you, aside from it being illegal, you will get a very short answer. However, if you so know someone *very* well, and have your own aircraft of the type they operate, they can check you out on their paperwork, pay you as a pilot, and give you a kickback on the contract hire of the machine, but you would be well advised to set up a separate company for that purpose.

Phil

Curtis E Carr
2nd Nov 2004, 17:26
paco

Why would it be illegal?

paco
3rd Nov 2004, 05:56
The AOC is issued to one entity with a particular set of directors who undertake not to let anyone else use it. Although there is a very good argument that the AOC system is unenforceable, for most purposes it is a legal document issued under the ANO which purports to apply criminal sanctions.

Phil

John Eacott
3rd Nov 2004, 06:31
The original question and answers relate to Australian AOC's, and specifically to the limitations of 20.8 of the (Australian) Civil Aviation Act which deem the transfer of an AOC illegal.

Still doesn't stop it happening, though :rolleyes:

paco
3rd Nov 2004, 13:18
Yes, of course! my answer was for the UK!

Phil