PDA

View Full Version : Public Transport: The Awful Truth.

ontrackfor
28th Oct 2004, 22:34
Stuck in traffic the other day a few cars back from a bus. Whenever this bus stopped to pick up/drop off, all the cars behind it ground to a halt. This got me thinking... If a bus blocks off a lane while it's picking up/dropping off then isn't it going to reach a stage where benefit to congestion of bussing will be offset by the delays they cause?

Feeton Terrafirma
28th Oct 2004, 23:36
The same happens with trams in Melbourne. They do more to create congestion than they do to relieve it.

I guess that most people who catch them do so because they dont have a car.

Wino
29th Oct 2004, 00:26
Shhhhhhhhh.
Its not politically correct to say such things.
Public transportation isn't about convienience or saving the envirnment. Its about CONTROLL. (and so for that matter are most of the arguements against)

Cheers
Wino

reynoldsno1
29th Oct 2004, 00:33
I have an idea - would probably work a treat in London. Design a two decker bus without doors so that people can get on/off really easily. Let the driver just drive, and have someone else inside issue/check tickets - then the bus only has to stop for a short period at the bus stops... Good idea?

BlueDiamond
29th Oct 2004, 01:05
Oh dear me, reynoldsno1, that's far too radical a concept!

:rolleyes:

Wino
29th Oct 2004, 01:32
If you are truly gonna make PUBLIC transport which by its definition is paid for by the public. how about making it FREE, so that there are NO delays for jumping on and off...

Cheers
Wino

pigboat
29th Oct 2004, 01:36
And it would be forbidden for the drivers and mechanics to go on strike.

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 01:39
Hey, I've got an idea.

Add extra lanes to major roads into and around London that will only be used by buses and taxi traffic. It'll work I tells you.

Wino
29th Oct 2004, 01:55
Nah,
instead they will take away existing lanes.... (especially on 1 lane roads) and make those for buses only.

Cheers
Wino

Elliot Moose
29th Oct 2004, 01:56
Do just about anything but design a right turn that first requires you to go to the left lane, wait until the light changes and then make a frantic dash across in order to make a right turn like they do in Melbourne!:}

reynoldsno1
29th Oct 2004, 02:27
Agggh, melbourne hook turns - it gives new meaning to the term "light entertainment".....:hmm:

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 02:56
The good old hook turn. Gotta go let to go right.

Keep a good look out for trams now (or the asswipe in a high powered car who tromps it from the lights) :E

ontrackfor
29th Oct 2004, 05:16
Whats wrong with 'tromping it' from the lights? at least you aren't subject to the inane habits/decisions of other drivers if you do.

[edited for seriousness]

The most frustrating part is that, due to de-regulation, the bus companies compete with the rail company on pretty much the same routes. Metro rail has been run into the ground by *not naming names* thusly we have a (in my opinion) severly under-utilised rail corridor. Anyone aware of a legal procedure that would allow co-ordinated public transport since everything has been privatised? or am I just living in a dud city?

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 15:39
Ontrack, you've obviously never been involved in the downton Melbourne hook turn circus. It only ends in tears (for visitors who aren't used to it!)

Ozzy
29th Oct 2004, 15:46
I do like the "right turn on red" they have over here. Basically, if the light's red you can still turn right if there's no traffic coming from the left. Keeps the traffic moving. Course, you'ld have to switch it round to "left turn on red" in the UK otherwise I can see problems.:E

Ozzy

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 15:49
I agree Ozzy. Very hand thing, except when dolts don't realise there is a left turn arrow from the opposite direction at an intersection. I've seen a couple of close calls where it's obvious the person turning right has only looked left.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Oct 2004, 16:01
We have "Gyratories" in the UK now. They're great for a thrill, nobody knows how to use them (just like most people at roundabouts), so you have a s**tload of traffic all speeding round this huge multiple exit island (usually with office buildings on it) and swerving off when they realise it's their turn off. Adrenalin ride !!

Cheers:ok:

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 16:07
When was the last time you got above 15 mph on the Hangar Lane gyratory? You are a hardcore adrenalin head. :E

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Oct 2004, 16:15
Oh yeah, I luv em. Hangar Lane is bad, but they have a few of them outside the smoke now, they are spreading like a rash. OAPs just hang on for grim death and go around in the slow lane, even if they are leaving at the last exit. Great fun !!

Grainger
29th Oct 2004, 16:24
No problem - just put your foot down, jockey for position, and whatever you do . . . don't make eye contact with anyone else !!!

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Oct 2004, 16:33
Eye contact is lethal. If that happens you've lost the initiative (psychology: you've acknowledged the existence, ergo the right of way, of the contactee).

Same thing at those mini roundabouts they paint on the tarmac at junctions to save money instead if installing traffic lights. No contact, just go for it and hope they miss your nearside wing.:cool:

simon brown
29th Oct 2004, 16:47
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

"We have "Gyratories" in the UK now....."

..Its called the M25 and has London on it now

Anyone had a go on the Swindon Roundabout ..manic

Has anyone ever the thought "oooh I do so want to have a go on that" whilst driving along side a buslane.

ontrackfor
29th Oct 2004, 16:54
No Gyratories here! we just have your standard uncontrolled roundabouts and no, none of them have office blocks in the centre.
We do however have the painted-on roundabouts in places and I've found a smoother ride is to be had towards the outside of this, typically single lane roundabout and at low speed. I would be more worried about blacking out from g rather than clipping a wing mirror not to mention road-holding.

Well seeing as the thread has been well and truly hyjacked and I am not going to get any replies from people who might have studied the disadvantages caused by buses I just thought I'd inform you of the most absurd law ever, the New Zealand Turning Right Off A Main Road rule (New Zealand drives on the UK side of the road). This rule means if you are a right-turning car off a main road, the left-turners into the same street give way to you. Fine if you are the driver but if you are a left and/or front seat passenger, you are exposed to the reaction time/driving habits of the other driver in that it's your door that gets slammed into.

Good for turning right and getting off the main road though as it tends to hold up the straight through traffic behind the giving-way left turners.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Oct 2004, 16:57
Simon,

If you re-read my previous thread I acknowledged that, and mentioned that London isn't the only place that has them. The main problem with gyratories in London (and the whole of the M25) is that as a slow paced country boy it always seems to me that everyone else knows where they are going and are in a hurry to get there. Hesitation/vacillation is seriously frowned on !!:ok:

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 18:48
As is staying in your lane.