PDA

View Full Version : the where and the what ???

bluestack
28th Oct 2004, 12:35
Hey All,

Getting ready to part with some cash, and deciding on type and school....

I've been through the forums and am not looking to kick off another robbie v H300 debate..

What I am interested in getting a bit of a straw poll on, (as I haven't been able to find another thread on it), is what type of roles and on what types are there out there for the low time CPLer...

I can, and am prepared, and in fact like the idea of bouncing round the globe for a few years picking up some experience on the air and on the ground..

So what have some of you done/loved/hated to get those valuable hours in - and in what ????

Cheers,
Bluestack...

Delta Julliet Golf
28th Oct 2004, 14:15
Ofcourse, the hours are very important. But what could be sometimes more important is: Connections.

Get connected, a lot of Relation Management.

It was how I got my job, know the right people and make sure people remind you....

DJG

SASless
28th Oct 2004, 14:46
P51 Mustang.....or A1-E Skyraider.....Olympic Flight Museum

bluestack
28th Oct 2004, 15:24
thanks SASless, hope you did a full pre-flight, dust on control surfaces, polish on canopy etc etc

Bluestack:ok:

bluestack
29th Oct 2004, 12:31
thanks for the advice DJG, that's why I plan to do my training in the UK, as ultimately that's where I want to work.

Was just curious as to what others have done....

Thanks again,
Bluestack..

pa42
29th Oct 2004, 13:11
Vis a vis making contacts, (it's not what youknow it's who you know), an EXCELLENT non-mainstream employment book is What Color Is Your Parachute, by Nelson Bolles.

Published annually, focussed on the USA job market (but the techniques are applicable to the human race), it can be had used in USA for $10 (new $22?), paperback, 600? pages.

The how-to-choose-a-field chapter(s) may be irrelevant for a heli pilot, but the how-to-network-your-way-in-to-the-boss chapters are golden, and exist nowhere else. Forget resumes, worm your way in with the pilots/crew & create yourself a job.

Also should be on the bookshelf in case you lose medical and have to re-sort your skills and priorities.

bluestack
29th Oct 2004, 13:43
thanks for that tip pa42, although I'm a long way from networking myself into a job yet, here's hoping though..:D

I was also curious about what people have done after getting their CPL(H), what was that lucrative or not so lucrative first job and what was it like...

Cheers,
Bluestack..

Eyesout
29th Oct 2004, 19:20
Hi all,

Bluestack, I'm at the same stage and looking for similar advice. Someone surgested to me that doing the ATPL(H) theroy here in the uk first then going to Florida (HAI) to hour build from UK PPL level to FAA and UK CPL, CFI licenses would allow potentially the ability to work in the states and UK. I too like the idear of traveling to other countries to work and gain experiance. One question I have is how do uk employers view training and experiance gained from overseas. Don't wont to come back and not be able to find any work.

Should I, shouldn't I, I just don't know.

Regards Eyesout..

bluestack
30th Oct 2004, 14:55
Hi Eyesout,

yep, I've been going through the pro's and cons of HAI v UK.
Not that I'm in any position to offer advice, this is my thinking on it so far..

I always thought as I far as I know now, I'd come back to the UK, so the contacts gained would help, as posted above.

I looked at the costs at HAI and once you add on living expenses, and the extra hours to be gained on the R22 it's not as cheap, and I personally can work and get a lot of time off for flying here in the UK..although nothing appeals more than 2 years of sun and flying..

There was a post from pa42 on another thread about plank hours counting where he says :

"it seems to be a generality in USA that insurance requires 300 hrs heli before the school can use you as CFI. Building that extra 150 hrs in helis is very expensive ($30,000?)."

I'm like you and wanted to know what licence/aircraft type is best to get work (other than FI) abroad..I suspect it's R22, and HAI are S300 trained to avoid SFAR 73...although as I said I don't know enough about possible work out there myself - hence the post.....if you get any answers - let us know...

Thanks,
Bluestack..