PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth Airport Ops

phil_2405
28th Oct 2004, 11:52
What airlines (charter or scheduled) regularly operate out of BOH? Apart from the Thomsonfly routes from 2005, are there any prospects of further route/airline expansion in the future?

Wycombe
28th Oct 2004, 12:05
From memory:

Ryanair - Dublin, Prestwick & Gerona
Aurigny - Jersey & Guernsey
Rockhopper - ditto plus Alderney

Only charters I can think of at the moment are European (various European dests under the Palmair banner), Euroatlantic to Faro (arrives via SOU) and Eurocypria to Larnaca.

Not very much really.

MARKEYD
28th Oct 2004, 13:10
Bournemouth Airport is one of those airports that has all the potential to do really well but needs to anchor some airlines to the airport in order for this to happen

With Thomsonfly starting in March hopefully this will encourage more airlines to try it out !

In reference to airlines etc operating out of Bournemouth a lot of ad hoc charters and one off s happen as well for example

British Airways 777 to New York

European 747 to Las Vegas and New York

Britannia 767 2 x month in winter to Barbados

Other more regular charter work in the summer and winter includes

Spanair A321 Tenerife Palma
Lauda B737 Innsbruck
FlyBe 146 Chambery
Futura 737 Palma
Verona 737 Europe Air Post
Zurich F100 Germanair
Larnaca 737 EuroCypria

Plus a based Palmair 737 and European 737 operating all the usual med charters

CargoOne
28th Oct 2004, 14:56
I thought that BOH rwy is too short for 747 (apart from ferry flights)?

Groundloop
28th Oct 2004, 15:08
European have operated 747s from BOH to JFK in the past for Xmas shopping flights.

FLYboh
28th Oct 2004, 15:10
The 747's stop at either shannon or Gander to refuel. I think this is only on the way out though.

ClickRich
29th Oct 2004, 11:12
I often wonder how BOH and the surrounding area is marketed around Europe. Anybody know?

There will always be a greater understanding of the needs of the domestic market. However, even accounting for this and excluding the 'commuter' and 'popping to meet friends and family' routes, the tourism focus seems to be on where people want to go to from Bournemouth rather than why would people want to come to Bournemouth. I don't know though. Would this be a rich seam to explore?

I'm simply thinking that what with Hardy country, the Jurrasic coastline, the New Forest, stag/hen central and the English Riviera and all that, it must be worth the attention of some of our Scandanavian or German friends?

LTN certainly couldn't compete! Play to your strengths ;)

I don't mean to suggest that BOH and Manchester Airport Group's marketers and route development people aren't covering this off already- I'm sure they're doing a fine job. No harm in me suggesting what may be a new idea. If it isn't, they can always ignore me of course.

Also, what kind of support do Bournemouth's many hotels offer BOH's marketing dept? There are more hotels in B'mouth than any town or city in the UK except for London. Could it be that the local hospitality industry is too fragmented to pull together and provide assistance?

eurostar builder
1st Nov 2004, 15:46
I have been told the BA 777 has been replaced by Britaninia767.

Also belive that one of the 747 flights did fly direct to USA

Once we where told that a 747 would NEVER land at Bournemouth by the Ex managment and now they have had upto 5 at one time.

Also heard that the Local Bus Company are to Start an Hourly run from Bournemouth Airport to Bournemouth Town Centre.
There might be a rush on the cash machine for the fares.

All good news does any body know when the ThomsonFly routes are being announced (Nov or Jan)

loveJet
1st Nov 2004, 16:02
December 16th routes will be announced