PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Vs Piper

dude65
28th Oct 2004, 10:48
Hi all

I've just completed my GFPT in the mighty Tomahawk.

What I 'd like to ask is.

What type of aircraft is best for your cross country work if you are considering a move into GA in the future?

I know the school I'm with are going to tell me that the Tobago is the desired aircraft but I'm pretty sceptical of this. Seems most GA employers want Cessna/Piper time. I'm talking single engine here folks. Forget about twins-that's 350-550 hours away

In the big world of GA, is one particular make of aircraft favoured over another and what should be the ultimate goal. C210 endorsment etc.

Any suggestions

Capt Fathom
28th Oct 2004, 12:21
Cessna 172 or Piper Warrior/Archer is all you need for the PPL Navs. No reason why you can't do the Navs in the Tomahawk, but you will be able to cover a bit more territory and gain more experience in something a little faster. Once you get to the CPL stage you'll probably need Constant Speed/Retractable. You'll have a better idea yourself once you finish the PPL stage. That's your next goal, so don't get too far ahead of yourself and lose sight of what you need to do now!

Towering Q
28th Oct 2004, 14:01
I don't think there would be too many GA operators out there who would knock you back because you did your PPL in the Tobago.

It does become important, after completing the CPL, that you have time in aircraft that are used in the industry, ie. the C206/210 series.

How does the price compare between the Tobago and C172? That would be my main concern.

EngineOut
28th Oct 2004, 16:58
I would probably lean towards Cessna, as it is more than likely that your first job will be in a C206/7/10. That said, it doesn't really matter.

BTW, unless you are lucky, I wouldn't be expecting a twin job until you have a lot more than 400-600 hrs!!

Lodown
28th Oct 2004, 20:01
I can still remember spinning the Traumahawk when it was quite legit to do so. Wasn't a particularly comforting sight to turn around and watch the rudder fin swinging either side of centre and the elevator fin trying to fly off on its own.

dude65
28th Oct 2004, 22:11
Certainly leaning towards the 172 at this stage.

Done a bit of looking on the web regarding duel & solo rates.The 172/Warrior would seem to come in a bit cheaper than the Tobago. Would help if some of these schools keept their rates up to date. That differance is going to add up over 25-30 hours.

As far as twins, go I wasn't even considering going near one until I had 400-500 hours. I can't really see the point in getting endorsed on a aircraft type that I wouldn't be flying for at least 12-18 months after I start working.

Trying to formulate a bit of a plan here. Anyone else agree?

grrowler
28th Oct 2004, 23:45
I loved flying the warrior during my ppl training, but if you have the chance I think the 172 would be more practical, it would certainly make your transition to a 210 quite straight forward.

When I did my CPL training I came to the point where they were going to put me into an Arrow (CSU/ retract) for the last 20 hours or so before my test. I decided to do those hours in a Duchess as the hourly rate was not that different. This may have helped me a little, mainly with my MECIR and later in my GA career, but I reckon if you tried to get into a C210 at that point instead, you'd be laughing.

It's good to see you thinking ahead, because during your training is the most economical time to get some exposure to useful aircraft types, killing 2 birds with one stone rather than paying for it straightout later.:ok:

dude65
29th Oct 2004, 00:01
Growler mate

This is what I'm trying to do.

a) Save some cash (no Mum & Dad money here)

b) Make myself more employable than the next guy

Becaus I'm a bit older than most low hour pilots I am in no position to muck this up.

Thanks for your help folks

Astra driver
29th Oct 2004, 00:17
As far as time building in single engine aircraft, I don't think it really matters what you do it in as future employers will be more intersted in total time than anything else, so take the cheapest option.
That said, most low time S/E GA jobs are going to be in Cessna 172's, 182's, and 206's and possibly Piper products, so if you can get Cessna time for the same amount of cash or less, I would do that. Besides you get a much better view looking down during those cross country flights in a Cessna.

bushy
29th Oct 2004, 02:44
Dude
If you are genuine about doing useful work in GA , being a little older will be an advantage. You do not send a boy to do a man's job.It's the low standard operators who have a continual series of pimply faced youths flying their aeroplanes. They often have a high accident rate too.

grrowler
29th Oct 2004, 04:02
They often have a high accident rate too.

Mate that is a bit of a big call! Sure age can be an advantage in certain areas, but it has nothing to do with piloting ability.

McRippy
29th Oct 2004, 08:30
sure 172 to 182 or even 210/06 would proberly be easier like many have said but really its only 30 hours or so of nav training id be looking at the price. a planes a plane

apache
30th Oct 2004, 22:54
Why not both ?

I know that it MAY cost a little bit more, what with famil training etc. BUT.... if time is of the essence and the school ONLY has one of each type, at least you can book in each day knowing that an aircraft that you CAN fly will be available.....

It is also a good skill learnt early that all aircraft are different and familiarity with many a/c is not a bad thing. it also keeps the level of knowledge(hopefully) sharper so one doesn't get complacent with one type.

Speeds high
31st Oct 2004, 01:17
The best airplane for CPL nav exercise = slowest and cheapest!

If i had my time again i would do it all in a Piper Cub :ok: ;) :D

maxgrad
31st Oct 2004, 02:29
Dude
All the responses are great and show you he diversity of the industry. You need to have a very clear idea of what you want to be doing in the industry,(ie airline, regional, coastwatch or medivac, instructing...........)
Cost obviously a factor. My main piece of advice is not a/c but the instructing. Make damn certain you have a good instructor whom you trust and has experience in the industry.
I started late in my career and required to get where I am as soon as possible due finances.
If your instructor is good he/she will be a lot more benifit than choosing the perfect a/c. As others have said as you gain experience your own choices of a/c and inate industry knowneldge will expand.

For the record I went C172 then cutless for CPL. when it came time to fly a 200 series it wasn't such a big step.

PM me if you want a chat.
max

bush pelican
31st Oct 2004, 02:33
Most low wing pilots I've come across have had to be 're-done' in a Cessna if they have not had a go in one before. Cessnas handle very differently to Pipers in the TO and Lng config and inexperienced pilots not familiar get quite a suprise. Look at what operators are using for charter up north and you will answer your own question. For what it's worth, I would not run a low wing trainer.
bp

The Bullwinkle
31st Oct 2004, 08:55
I did many hours of cross-country in a Tomahawk due to the fact that it was the cheapest, and to date, not a single employer has ever asked me what aircraft type my training was conducted in.

I also was a late starter who self-funded my training, and I would suggest that you spend the least amount as possible.

I can remember flying a Tomahawk, and being overtaken by a coal train!!!!......

Now that's slow........

BW