PDA

View Full Version : Gb Airways Abinitio Scheme Now Open

HORKA
28th Oct 2004, 09:47
GB Airways have now opened a scheme for ab initio cadet pilots from zero hours to A320 first officer .They send you on a full course at Jerez or Oxford then straight onto the Airbus with full first officer salary. The only restriction is you must have worked for them in some capacity for a year before getting on to the scheme.

tunneler
28th Oct 2004, 10:11
Before everyone inundates the company with applications and emails etc.

Please be aware that this scheme is for EXISTING EMPLOYEE'S ONLY. You have to have served for a full year with GB in some capacity before you can even get an application form.

I also believe the closing date for applications has passed anyway. Sorry folks.

HORKA
28th Oct 2004, 10:28
I have been told that this scheme will continue to run year on year .No time like now joining as cabin crew and getting that one year clock running down , beats working in MacDonalds.
I would think GB will get an increase in applications from hopeful
cadets.

tunneler
29th Oct 2004, 10:08
"Beats working in McDonalds"

Not sure if all of our crew would agree about that mate, cc at GB get worked bloody hard for not a lot of cash back. Its certainly a method of trying to get a sponsorship (which is actually just the company securing the training loan for you - the "cadet" will be liable for all £50,000 if they do not make the grade) but it'll most certainly involve a lot of hard graft!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Oct 2004, 12:52
Hmmm, interesting development. I've advised people many times that airlines have a legal obligation to advertise jobs internally first. Sometimes they don't but you would be within your rights to call the HR department and demand an interview if you meet the minimum requirments.

Hence taking a job in ops or cabin crew or similar is a viable strategy for the low time Frzn ATPL holder aspiring to driving.

Cheers

The Scarlet Pimpernel
29th Oct 2004, 16:15
The min requirement will include being employed by GB for at least 12 months. This scheme, I believe, is designed to give non flight deck employees a chance that does not come round very often. We have a lot of high quality people at the airline and this is a great opportunity for them, should they wish to apply.

Please also be aware that the selection will not be for the faint hearted as GB wants the very best candidates (as you would expect) irrespective of their present position in the company. Joining with a frozen ATPL and doing your 12 months' service will not guarantee you a position on the scheme.....indeed, you may well just waste 12 months of your life. A better idea would be to talk to personnel if you've already got a licence and they will tell you about the DEP situation.

redadair
29th Oct 2004, 16:37
sounds like a good employer to me anyway. Shows a fantastic attitude toward their staff. Went for interview with them a while ago, no joy though................:-( ...however..

Well done GB!

AJ
30th Oct 2004, 13:49
BA only last week advertised vacancies in the BA News (an internal paper) for self-sponsored pilots with frozen ATPLs that had graduated from an integrated course. Guess we're in the good times (for now).

Re-Heat
7th Nov 2004, 17:38
AJ - that has been advertised for a couple of years internally in BA now.