PDA

View Full Version : keeping it up for longer

noisy
27th Oct 2004, 19:01
....concentration, that is. Right now I am nearing the end of a two week training course at work on the thrilling world of analogue and digital signals. Today was the worst day yet - I nearly fell asleep three times. During three years at university I never found anything this dull, not even metallurgy.

What do ppruners do in these circumstances? I tried to imagine diving into the plunge pool at the bottom of a waterfall, sticking my head out of a car window at 70mph or wing walking. This brought about a momentary improvement in my level of concentration with the unfortunate side effect that I missed most of what the guy was saying for those few seconds.
Then I tried thinking about sex, but that didn't work either.
I couldn't help but think that a pair of those joke shop glasses with eyes painted on the lenses would have been handy. Sleep deprivation must be a really effective torture method.

If nothing else I will know when to stop for a break on a long car journey.

Foxy Loxy
27th Oct 2004, 19:34
Hmmmmm...... frustrating. Been there meself. Got caught napping, as it were.

Had a friend at school who was blessed with the gift of being able to sleep with her eyes open! :zzz: :zzz:

Foxy

montster
28th Oct 2004, 08:01
I can sleep with my eyes open too! I can also carry on writing while sleeping, but the letters get a bit squiggley :O

Like Noisy, I got through university with no problem at all, but boring training courses are a nightmare. No amount of Red Bull or coffee works for me. The fact that I can write and sleep means that taking notes doesn't keep me awake either. I like the plunge pool idea, maybe I'll try that next time. I think the only effective solution is a good night's sleep beforehand.

fishtits
28th Oct 2004, 09:23
Take deep breaths, providing your body with more oxygen

Smile

Eat (quietly)

Ask if you can open a window; it is harder to stay awake in a warm classroom

Remove one shoe only, which creates a temperature difference (make sure your feet are not minging - although this probably would keep you awake!)

Follow your professorís argument intently, even if itís confusing

Take copious notes constantly

Write questions to yourself in your notes about the material

TALK (you donít fall asleep talking usually, do you?)

Occasionally ask questions, if only to break the monotony of the professorís voice

Sit up straight, don't get too comfortable

Doodle

Change pens (use one with brighter ink)

Sit in the front of the class (makes you self conscious about nodding off)

Contribute to discussions

Try to stay well-rested

And my particular favourite - scratch your nuts

They all (particularly the last one) helped me through five years in uni with some of the most boring lecturers going....

Hope it helps!

FT

tall and tasty
28th Oct 2004, 10:18
Imagaine you are anywhere but there

Doddle

Wear something that others can fiddle with happened to me loads of times and worked didn't dare fall asleep

Oh have a friend that can shorthand so if you do miss notes can catch up later

Hope that helps

TnT

Jerricho
28th Oct 2004, 14:42
Fishtits (:ok: ), your post reminds me of the "Everybody's free to wear Sunscreen" thingie Baz Luhrmann did.

"And trust me on the nut-scratching".