PDA

View Full Version : The Political Compass

Wedge
27th Oct 2004, 17:22
Take the test (http://www.politicalcompass.org/) to see where you fall.

It seems pretty well written to me. As it says, the old left/right definition is far too narrow to be representative.

I scored Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Which puts me in the left/libertarian quarter, but moderately so.

tony draper
27th Oct 2004, 18:05
Economic left/right 4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian 6.82

Cheeky bastige issued me with a summons to appear before the Nuremburg Judges next friday.
:rolleyes:

West Coast
27th Oct 2004, 18:39
Economic L/R 2.25

social libertarian/authoritarian 1.59

Caslance
27th Oct 2004, 18:47
Hmmmm......interesting.

Economic Left/Right -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -2.05

These "labels" are a wee bit slanted towards a "right-wing" stance IMHO but if I've understood the results properly that places me, rather like Wedge, on the libertarian left.

That seems pretty well spot-on to me, especially when compared with results of some notable fellow-Jet Blasters with.....ahem..... rather different attitudes. ;)

Techman
27th Oct 2004, 18:54
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

Just call me Nelson Lama.:p

West Coast
27th Oct 2004, 19:00
CAS

You needed this to figure out we have differing priorities?

Caslance
27th Oct 2004, 19:01
If the cap fits, dear boy.

If the cap fits....... :ok:

tony draper
27th Oct 2004, 19:04
Coal Scuttle Helmet in my case Mr C. :rolleyes:

Caslance
27th Oct 2004, 19:06
Did Attila The Hun actually wear one of those, Mr D? :}

West Coast
27th Oct 2004, 19:10
Wondering what type of cap for a bleeding heart?

A beret perhaps.

Caslance
27th Oct 2004, 19:13
"Bleeding heart"????

Oh, WC....those who actually know me would fall about in helpless laughter at the very idea. :E

Wino
27th Oct 2004, 19:18
Hmmmmm,

Economic LEFT/RIght -.25
Liberbertarian/Authoritarian +1.13.

I guess I really am the only moderate on this board. I pretty much scored bang in the middle.

I was expecting to be pegged somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun considering all the extreme answer and few middle of the road ones I had.

ALthough I noticed that WC, the only other American to take the test was much closer to the middle than our European test takers..

Cheers
Wino

West Coast
27th Oct 2004, 19:20
Cas

Who said I was talking about you?

I wish the test would allow you to skip a question or add another choice of no opinion to some. I think a more realistic assessment would follow.

Caslance
27th Oct 2004, 19:23
Touché, WC. :D

A good idea, too.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Oct 2004, 19:26
Economic left/right -.25

Libertarian/authoritarian +.52

Pretty much boring middle of the road....

Wino
27th Oct 2004, 19:29
Where you from Twotter?
Just curious.

Cheers
wino

reynoldsno1
27th Oct 2004, 19:32
E L/R-4.00
L/A -3.54
puts me close to Gandhi - guess I'll have to stop eating all those steaks...:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Oct 2004, 19:47
Wino

Check yer PMs.......:ok:

Flying Lawyer
27th Oct 2004, 20:30
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Bang in the middle. Thought I'd be slightly to the right.

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.20
Probably about accurate.
I've got some very right-wing views (eg same sex couples/children) and some very left (eg private health, private education and class system.)

I'd have used a neutral/no opinion option for some questions if that had been an option.

ORAC
27th Oct 2004, 21:48
Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59

Seem pretty much alone down here....

redsnail
27th Oct 2004, 21:57
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49

Capt.KAOS
27th Oct 2004, 22:03
Economic Left/Right: -2,05
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.52

Slightly hanging to the left, quite right, good test.

Wedge
27th Oct 2004, 22:14
FL, from the FAQ FYI......(enough initials there ;))

You should have a "don't know" option

This makes it too easy for people to duck difficult issues. By forcing people to take a positive or negative stance, the propositions make people really evaluate their feelings. Often people find they wanted to select 'don't know' mainly because they'd never really thought about the idea.

I think from the comments of a few here and my own result, the centre might be slanted a little to the right, but it's all subjective I suppose:

Some of the questions are slanted

Most of them are slanted ! Some right-wingers accuse us of a leftward slant. Some left-wingers accuse us of a rightward slant. But it's important to realise that this isn't a survey, and these aren't questions. They're propositions - an altogether different proposition. To question the logic of individual ones that irritate you is to miss the point. Some propositions are extreme, and some are more moderate. That's how we can show you whether you lean towards extremism or moderation on the Compass.

con-pilot
27th Oct 2004, 22:18
Hum, I guess that I am another middle American. (A little pun there)

Economic Left/right 1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian –0.62

All by myself in the left lower quadrant very close to the center.

Feeton Terrafirma
27th Oct 2004, 23:31
Seems to work for me......

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.03

I would have liked a DON'T CARE option on a few questions, ans its not because I haven't considered the situation, it's because I just dont care.

gatfield
27th Oct 2004, 23:45
Economic -4.88
Social -3.51

Yeah , I already knew I was a leftie.

Do you think it is a coincidence the red nav light is on the left wing?:p

46Driver
28th Oct 2004, 00:07
Economic 3.88
Social 3.28

Y'all are a bunch of tree huggin', sandal wearing hippies.....

I did have one of the local bubbas here take the test, he scored:
Economic 6.62
Social 3.85

In other words, I am a moderate here in Dixie....

West Coast
28th Oct 2004, 00:35
Funny 46 I would have pegged you for a more middle of the road type of guy, at least to the left of the usual US contributors.

I guess I'll go wash the peoples truck now.

46Driver
28th Oct 2004, 00:54
Good test - I posted the same thing over on www.flightinfo.com (an American pilot's website). That should be interesting to see the numbers that come out.

As some have speculated earlier, both the Democrats and Republican parties are coming close to fissure - I don't see how either party can maintain their coalitions much longer.

As for me, I've got to get back to both grad school (International Management) and the Naval War College courses. Life is rather hectic.

I did go and vote early - and was able to show one of my buds how to do the same even if he did cancel out my vote - the important thing is the democratic process. If Kerry wins, so be it - he is the Commander-in-Chief and the President. If Bush wins, I would expect the same.

Back to the books.....

maxalt
28th Oct 2004, 01:02
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49

Avtrician
28th Oct 2004, 01:20
Economic Left/Right: -2.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.82

Dont realy know what that means:hmm:

AntiCrash
28th Oct 2004, 01:31
Came out between Ghandi and Schostakovich. I'll be changing my name to Mahatma Coat!:uhoh:

allan907
28th Oct 2004, 01:57
Left/Right -0.62
Lib/Auth 0.05

I guess that puts me just about dead in the centre. Funny really when I recently put up for a right(ish) wing party for the State elections!

pigboat
28th Oct 2004, 02:04
Left/Right 0.88
Lib/Auth 0.77

That would make me a Canadian right wing wacko. :uhoh:

CoodaShooda
28th Oct 2004, 03:33
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Bluddy hell!!!!

All those years as a running dog lackey to a corrupt, rednecked, cowboy and indian-style right wing government and I find myself fitting somewhere between Nelson Mandela and Ghandi. :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :uhoh:

ontrackfor
28th Oct 2004, 04:20
L-R -5.25
A-L -1.59

Glad I do not believe in full classical libertarian collectivism of anarcho-syndicalism as I would always forget which order the words appear in.

Is the axis based on accepted definitions? Who actuelly determines what's what? It would be interesting to see L-R A-L based on the opinions and beliefs of the people who actuelly took the test. I believe this can be done without recording any identifyable infomation.

CoodaShooda
28th Oct 2004, 06:44
Just done it again after coming back from a 'difficult' meeting.

Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.21

Puts me in with Hitler, George W, Maggie T, Ariel Sharon, Tony Blair and Johnny Howard.

It would seem that the result depends on your state of mind at the time.

Lesson learned - Cooda's best kept in a good mood else he turns into a little sh*t :} :rolleyes:

Flip Flop Flyer
28th Oct 2004, 07:30
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pretty much what I expected. Would rather be on the side of Ghandi than Hitler & Thatcher (note: Not saying that Lady Thatcher is in any way comparable to Hitler!)

Home country: Denmark
Country of residence: Belgium

Kolibear
28th Oct 2004, 07:53
Economic L/R -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Which puts me into Left-wing Authoritarion quadrant, a bit of a surprise as I would have expected to be on the right wing side. But all my answers were simple agree/disagree so that may have damped down the result.

lasernigel
28th Oct 2004, 07:59
Left/Right 1.12
Lib/Auth 3.08

Fairly middle of the road with veering towards Maggie so that confirms a few things.
Seem to be a lot going to the left on this thread mind,which is worrying.IMHO:uhoh:

Flypuppy
28th Oct 2004, 08:36
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

So close to the middle of the road that everyone can hate me.

airship
28th Oct 2004, 12:04
Political Compass Lat -2.15 Long -2.62

All those falling into the lower-left quadrant are cordially invited for a piss-up in the UN Secretary-General's office, at your earliest convenience... ;)

tony draper
28th Oct 2004, 12:08
Bit optimistic int yer airship, the UN organising a piss up??
:rolleyes:

airship
28th Oct 2004, 12:18
Kofi has a lot of respect for Nelson. It's only a little unofficial gathering in remembrance of Gandhiji and Nehru - light refreshments only! You probably wouldn't want to come even if you'd been invited Tony! :p

X-QUORK
28th Oct 2004, 13:02
Economic Left/Right -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -3.85

My god!!! I'm more of a leftie than Airship, yet I'm not one of the anti-American crowd - I think I may be a little screwed up.

Flip Flop Flyer
28th Oct 2004, 13:09
Anbody else than me who would have loved to see how our dearly departed Captain Ed would have faired? :E Somewhere along +10/+10 perhaps? OCB would have been fun too.

airship
28th Oct 2004, 13:23
I never have been anti-American. I'm not even against the invasion of Iraq. However, I am against regimes who feel ok about lying to the people. Whose claims to a higher moral standard just don't stand up. :*

As a kid, I always wanted to be the cowboy. These days I'd choose the Injun's side to those childhood games. And put some effort into it! Little Annie would've made a damned fine squaw... :E ;)

WE Branch Fanatic
2nd Nov 2004, 21:40
Economic left/right; 0.00
Social libertarian/authoritarian: 0.51

Spotting Bad Guys
2nd Nov 2004, 22:00
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67

Interesting for someone in the Military! Perhaps I should go and hand in my jackboots...
:p

SBG

Send Clowns
3rd Nov 2004, 13:26
Economic -0.75 (which surprised me, although there were a lot of environmental and "big corporation" questions there, where I tend to agree with the soft left)
Social -0.72, not very surprising

I think the choice of issues is interesting. Choose something different and our "liberal" friends would be way up the top of the graph, into totalitarian territory.

djk
3rd Nov 2004, 21:10
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.97

under_exposed
4th Nov 2004, 07:39
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.18

Strange, I always thought I was middle of the road, what do the rest of you commie pinko liberals think?
:E