PDA

View Full Version : November 25 Amendments

alidad
27th Oct 2004, 13:03
Received the guff today from Air Services. I wish to give them a pat on the back for the quality and clarity of the information; in particular the Class E boundaries and frequency depiction on the Low Chart.

WELL DONE!

Binoculars
27th Oct 2004, 15:20
Quite. Almost impossible to believe such quality documentation was produced at such short notice, isn't it? :rolleyes:

DirtyPierre
28th Oct 2004, 00:23
As one of the ATC instructors for the Nov 25 airspace, I'd just like to encourage all vfr pilots to put in a flight plan if they think they need a clearance thru the revised airspace.

By putting in a flight plan, the dreaded words, "Clearance not available, remain OCTA" will shortly be followed by "Squawk Code xxxx, and standby for clearance". Having the details in the system will mean that the controller will not have to manually enter your details, a time consuming task for any controller regardless of their typing skills.

Also, if you're not sure if you need a clearance or not.....ask! Better than the dreaded "Unidentified VFR aircraft at unverified Axxx at position xxxx, you are about to enter controlled airspace".

ATC hate the paper work just as much as you do.

DP

Icarus2001
28th Oct 2004, 01:45
I agree Dirty Pierre and that is how we have been teaching pilots for at least ten years! Somehow the prevailling argument has become " I am here so let me in" even with no details in the system. Now on most occasions I find ATC do accomodate that (hearing what goes on) but it comes down to pilots doing their part to make the system work. I would also surmise that many (not all) of these "pop up" pilots are the ones who do no flight planning (as distinct to flight notification) and do not keep a fuel liog as required by the CAR. It all comes down to self discipline!

Alidad I also think that AsA have done an excellent job on the education material. It is in stark contrast to what was promulgated when Mr Smith & Smith were running the show.

Amazing how the professionals can do such a good job without help from an amateur.:ok:

Capn Bloggs
28th Oct 2004, 05:23
I don't like my short fat ERSA. My navbag now has 3 inches of space above the ERSA but now pokes out further. I realise the new one is A5, but the old taller, skinnier one was more space-efficient.

Nice maps: did you Jepp users get a free ERC Lo from AsA?

Capt Claret
28th Oct 2004, 07:37
Bloggs

I did! :ok:

CaptainMidnight
28th Oct 2004, 07:41
Airservices - top job on the education material, and glad to see sense and the industry's desire for option 3 prevailing.

Not so good job with ERSA. Was this run past any industry groups? What the customer wants, you know. Funny - that applied to FIA boundaries on the charts, but someone overrode that want for a while.

AerocatS2A
28th Oct 2004, 11:51
Everyone, Jepp users included, get an enroute chart applicable to their area (based on their postal address I assume).

Sunfish
28th Oct 2004, 20:22
The material is simple enough for even a mug like me to understand it.

I'm stuffed if I can imagine why you wouldn't want to file a flight plan and get a clearance.

karrank
29th Oct 2004, 07:02
"Clearance not available, remain OCTA"

Had a good look DP, the words are no longer there in the book, so nobody should hear them.

"EXPECT CLEARANCE AT [blah]"

I think this may have changed a while ago...

All the stuff looks pretty usable in my area. I think there would be some advantage to making all the green lines the same as the dotted brown ones. Easy to say but hard to do.