PDA

View Full Version : Advices Needed Please

Michael.Q
27th Oct 2004, 09:31
Hi there

I am a sixth form secondary school student and new to this forum.

I want to be a pilot when I leave school, so I am thinking about doing a 3 year course of Aviation Management at Massey University.

I am eventually aiming to fly for Air NZ or other big airlines, e.g. Cathay Pacific.

I am just very worried about the employment opportunities, it does cost a huge of amount of money to complete the course, around 70 thousand dollars.

Assuming I finish the course and graduate, am I likely to get a job in the big airlines or am I likely to get a job at all, I heard a lot of people who finish the course and struggling to find a job.

What are some alternative jobs if I can't get a job in the big airlines, is the job of a flying instructor easy to get, I am also willing to fly for small airlines for a start then try to move my way up.

So as you can see I need some advices.

Please give you honest oppinion.

Thanks a lot

Michael

redsnail
27th Oct 2004, 13:08
G'day Michael,
In NZ it is rare to go straight to the bigger airlines. In fact, unless you held a Qantas cadetship I don't think it is possible to from flight school to a big jet.
Most folks do what you described. They either get an instructor rating or head out to do some scenic work. (or single engine charter flying). There are many Kiwi's in Australia doing just that. You'll find the market is pretty competitive.
After folks have got some hours under their belt either instructing and/or charter work, they move to a twin piston job or if lucky, crack a regional airline job.
If the market is really moving, you can by-pass that step and go to Air NZ. I know Cathay Pacific like some good turbine time such as what you'll get flying for a regional.
It's a long hard road but make each goal a winner and you'll get there.
Unfortunately, what you really must bear in mind is that there are far more pilots than jobs going.

Good luck.
Feel free to read Dunnunda and Godzone for NZ & Aus specific info.

AIRWAY
27th Oct 2004, 13:21
G'day,

For an aviation job expect to go anywhere in the world for it, if you want to succeed, and try not to be picky in terms of airline of choice, ie: i would love to be a Qantas pilot ( me too actually ), sometimes you have to start from the bottom and work your way up.

Wishing you all the best.

AIRWAY