PDA

View Full Version : Living In Oman

bluepacific
27th Oct 2004, 01:06
Hi,
Anyone with info on how much things cost in Oman ie utilities(electricity, water), education for kids( primary school) cost of cars and cost of housing.
Thanks.
BP

Fox3snapshot
30th Oct 2004, 08:32
Howdy, I left there a year ago now however made the odd visit back and things haven't changed too much.

Oman is one of the more expensive Gulf states but the offset to that is it is the most beautiful and the locals are wonderful people.

During summer your eectricity bills with 4 wall unit A/C's will be in the order of 60-80 Rials ($US 150-200). Winter is at least half or less than that.

The telephone company (as with many in this region) is a state run monopoly so is quite expensive, however they are deregulating so this will improve. Call to Australia ranges from 500 Baiza - 1 Rial a minute ($US1.30-2.60) for example.

Beers down the pub are on average $US5 for a pint (cheaper at the taxi bars but not the coolest place to hang out at!).

A night out with Wiffo and Kids at any of the premium hotels won't be cheap unless you go on a promotion night. A good night out for two adults with wines/beers etc. will cost in the order of 20-40 Rials ($US 50-100) depending on where you end up. If you just want some local nosh from down the corner shwarmer stand then you could feed the whole family for 10 bucks! A whole roaster chicken with extra's will cost about $3, cheaper than you can buy it frozen down at the expat supermarket!

I was in a brand new 3 bedroom apartment right in the middle of town for 300 Rials ($US800 approx) per month and all utilities (except power) never came to more than $US40 p/m. Villa's really depend on where you are in town. A three bedroom villa will range from 300-500 Rials ($US300-1300) in the outer areas and will increase in the premium locations.

If you want high speed internet the best at the moment is ISDN and only in certain areas. It is reasonably expensive but really worth it as the fixed line service is marginal to average at best depending on where you are in town. ADSL is becoming more available to the general public. Up until I left arranging any utility was a shambles to say the least...disconnecting was even worse! Hopefully things have improved.

Can't help you with schooling as I haven't owned up to any children at this stage!

Maybe Diving Duck can add to this??!
:p

Anyway hope that gets you started. Oman is a spectacular country and certainly the pick in the Middle East for a family, single social scene is a bit grim so I had to head west!

Good luck.

:ok:

bluepacific
30th Oct 2004, 21:54
Thanks so much for your info fox3, I talked to a friend who flew for Gulf Air who said to go for it, thanks for your contribution.
I hope you have found comfort in the west, as far as women go, cheers.
BP

AirNoServicesAustralia
31st Oct 2004, 04:51
Blue Pacific, you have to realise that when Fox3 gives you the cost for a night out, he is including the cost of 20 pints of lager and a new pair of eye glasses. Just a standard night out for him :E Oh and on some occasions, rare Kenyan sculptures need to be replaced due to his dancing style!:ok:

Fox3snapshot
31st Oct 2004, 07:15
I swear I will replace the genuine Masai Warrior Love Troll....I can't help it if I have rhythm and everything around me doesn't!
:ugh:

divingduck
3rd Nov 2004, 14:59
Hey Fox3...thanks for the intro

Blue Pacific (Bluey Green Indian around here)

If your school fees are paid for by the company, all I can say is Al Humdillillah!! several times.

If not, be prepared to pay around 1450 rials per kid per term (3 terms) at most of the Western Expat schools.

Too dopey to work it out..I'm just a dumb West Australian farm boy...mulitpy by 2.6 for Yankee bucks, 1.4 for Sterling, 3.6 for Aussie etc etc we do very well on the cross rates to Turkish Lira and Nepalese Rupees, but that is another story.

There are a few, the ABA (American British Academy), The British School, The American School in Muscat (TAISM), The Sultan School, and Muscat Private School. there is also a French School if you are that way inclined.

They are all much of a muchness with TAISM being the most expensive...about 10-15% more than the others.
:}

Good luck with it, as Foxy3 says..great place to live and work.

bluepacific
4th Nov 2004, 18:37
Hey thanks divingduck, would they be on the web ( British School
) ? So I could get more info for them, much appreciated for all your help.
BP:ok:

divingduck
5th Nov 2004, 04:58
Hey BP,
No worries, I'll see if I can scare one up.

BTW, the British School runs the Standard British Curriculum, ie GCSE's and A/AS levels, whereas the ABA runs Inernational Baccalaurete.

bluepacific
5th Nov 2004, 05:25
Hey Thanks divingduck,
I'm not at all familiar with the abbreviations you just wrote, I only know about NZ UE and Aust HSC those ones you mentioned is quite foreign , I feel like Manuel in Faulty Towers :confused:
Thanks though for your help, what do you know by way of vehicles in Oman ? I've been trying to look on the net but no real luck with any web page, also the suburbs in and around Muscat have been hard to try and locate , only so much out there,.... may be I'm doing it wrong, :O
Cheers

Quokka
5th Nov 2004, 06:24
"I'm just a dumb West Australian farm boy..."

Those dumb :mad: Sandgropers.... hopeless... :mad: hopeless... :E

bluepacific
5th Nov 2004, 07:00
quokka ??? Whats up ??
BP:confused:

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th Nov 2004, 08:49
Ok if you are coming from Oz or NZ the British curriculum is more suited to you than the American one. So if you are planning on taking the kids back to finish school in Oz or NZ later, then the British School is your best bet.

Quokka
5th Nov 2004, 14:02
blue pacific,

All is well.... diving duck and I are both West Australians and worked together.... a long, long time ago... twas having a joke with him... ;)

bluepacific
5th Nov 2004, 17:18
Thanks AirNo~, and thanks quokka wasn't too sure whether there was abit of friction there or what, thanks for all your help hope to catch up with you guys one day and have afew coldies.

divingduck
5th Nov 2004, 20:20
Hey BP,

The ABA website is www.aba-oman.com/

the British school is www.britishschool.edu.om

ANSA is correct about the differing corriculae...only thing is that the IB that is studied at ABA is not American Corriculum.

It is in fact farily similar to the Australian system, which is why I placed my two kids there instead of the British School.

As to cars...well....what do you want and how much do you want to pay for it? I'll give you a small hint...they are WAY cheaper than at home, so is the fuel, at present it's about 40c Aussie per litre (we pay more than up the road in UAE).

A for instance, a new Mitsubishi 4WD Nativa (I think it's a challenger in OZ) top of the range all the bells and whistles is about $30K OZ. Saloon cars are very cheap, and if you get a used one, you can pick up a good 4-5 year old 4WD for around 10-15K. A new Hummer is about 100K if you are that way inclined.

Where to live...big place, lots of choices. Look up Cluttons or Hamptons on the internet..they are serving the very top end of the market, so it will give you an idea of where and what everything costs if you have loads!
Very easy to be within a couple of minutes of a beach, or indeed live on the beach if you want to.
I live up near the mountains, looking down on the rest of the city, 120 degree views of the sea (about 5km to the beach I guess) 3 level villa, 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms etc etc..costs 400 rials a month, about $1400 OZ. fox3 can confirm that its a pretty swanky abode :ok:

Hey Quokka....(to the foreigners, its a short, fat, stumpy looking kangaroo that can (and was) mistaken for an oversized rat), be nice now...have they dragged you to Melbourne yet?

bluepacific
6th Nov 2004, 19:24
Thanks again for all the info divingduck, I have looked at the Both sites, just a small question you mentioned that the IB that is studied at the ABA school is not American, whats IB stand for ?(maybe I'm from western Australia as well and mum didn't tell me ?)
Thanks for the info on the cars and rentals.
BP:O

Quokka
9th Nov 2004, 23:10
divingduck... check your PM's ;)

divingduck
18th Nov 2004, 05:44
Hi BP,

Sorry about the delay in replying...been out camping in the mountains and doing the usual fishing/diving thing between days at the coal face.

IB stands for Inernational Baccalaurete, it's what all the posh schools go for these days
;)

It is very good academically, makes the students more rounded than A levels, as they have to do 6 subjects (3 at Higher level and 3 Standard level). The kids also have to do something known as CAS, which stands for Creative, Activity and Service. They have to complete 50 hours of each to complete the IB and also have to hand in an extended essay (4000 words I think, My daughter is doing hers at present on the differing systems fo government leading to the Peloppenisian War)

The A levels that the British School system go for has the students doing 3 subjects only...with none of the CAS stuff.
Many schools in Britain are moving towards the IB as in their opinion it gives a better all rounder that can cope more easily with university.

Right, have to get back to the coal face:ok:

Hope this helps