PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Props

Jamair
26th Oct 2004, 13:25
I have a requirement to replace both props on a Seneca 2 (don't ask!) and would like to hear from anyone who has actual experience to compare the standard 2-blader with the optional 3-blader, in terms of performance etc.

In general terms, I believe a 2-blade will usually give a better top-end TAS while a 3-blade will give better ground clearance and climb, but would like to hear from someone who knows the real story as it applies to Senecas.

PMs, postings or referrals to web sites all gratefully accepted- Cheers:ok:

DeRated
26th Oct 2004, 13:46
I've only flown the 3 bladed Seneca (1,000 odd hours) and that was 10 years ago, but would note:

Quieter
Less vibration

Agree with the ground clearance and hence less chips....
Agree with the better T/O and climb performance, but have never compared charts......

And it looks better.:D

Blue Line
26th Oct 2004, 21:02
I've flown both, most in the 3 Bladed. Both were Seneca 2's & found that the difference in TAS is not alot & at the end of the day its all pretty much the same in my opinion, but Id much rather have the quietness & reduced vibrations as DeRated says, makes ya day that much less painfull & you feel more refereshed

But it has been a few years since Ive had the pleasure :confused: of flying one too

DVDA
26th Oct 2004, 23:11
I have flown both alot. More in the 2 bladed than the 3. The difference in tas/performance is minimal. I found the 3 bladed ones go out of sync more than 2 bladed. It actually says in the flight manual that 3 bladed are about 5db louder than 2 bladed? Groundclearence is a big plus. But for the extra $$$ to change over to 3 bladed, I would say it would be a watse of time and cash. It does look cooler though!:ok:
DVDA

the wizard of auz
27th Oct 2004, 00:31
the three bladers have a higher TBO and less AD requirments from memory. could be a deciding factor. far quieter and smoother, looks better and better ground clearance. climb and cruise performance changes are hardly perceptable.

tinpis
27th Oct 2004, 00:38
:sad:

Many grape seasons ago was stuck with a then new Seneca one to do a big task.
As i recall it didnt have throttles just a volume control

What a total POS.