Parapunter
26th Oct 2004, 13:12
That is bad news. Think I might have to get Teenage Kicks out one last time.:(

maninblack
26th Oct 2004, 13:13
Teenage Kicks is on radio 2 at this very moment...a sad loss

Dead_Heading
26th Oct 2004, 13:18
RIP John, he was a mainstay in my listening habits.

djk
26th Oct 2004, 13:18
:( a great man who without him lots of bands wouldn't have got their first big break or even been heard by the UK radio listeners.

:(

Duckbutt
26th Oct 2004, 13:31
Poor old John, or perhaps more relevantly, Sheila.

Seems only yesterday I used to listen to 'The Perfumed Garden' on Radio London.

X-QUORK
26th Oct 2004, 13:33
Gutted. John Peel has always been an inspiration to me. Have always found his modesty and self-depreciating humour to be a very attractive mix...someone I'd often wished I could have a pint with in a Suffolk pub.

I wouldn't normally join in with public expression of remorse, but I'm truely saddened and will miss this grumpy old man with his questionable taste in punk.

joe2812
26th Oct 2004, 13:35
Teenage Kicks on Radio 1 again at the moment...

As a huge Radio 1 fan is very sad to be without such an incredible DJ, a man who really put radio broadcasting into perspective and showed just how it should be done.

Will be sorely missed.

timmcat
26th Oct 2004, 13:39
That is such sad news - the guy did so much to introduce fringe music into mainstream.

WG774
26th Oct 2004, 13:43
I'm crying :{

To say he will be missed would be a gross understatement.

Peel constituted the antithesis of modern media-lead pigeon-holing, to him all musical genres were equal.

A true one-off, we shall not see his like again...

yintsinmerite
26th Oct 2004, 13:48
I have just come back from a wander around London near Broacasting House and grinned to myself as I recalled the opening of his Home Truths program just after his birthday

It was something like
'When one gets to 65, you start considering ones mortality and questions like

Will I live long enough to see the new Broadcasting House finished'
Will I live long enough to see the Baldock (where I live and John drove through on his way to London),Bypass opened

I get back to the office and this news !!

It is a huge and premature loss to us all but especially to his wife (the Pig) and family. It kind of feels like part of my past has gone

Edited for typos

Evo
26th Oct 2004, 13:54
He'll be hugely missed. I heard so much of the music that I grew up with on his shows, and ever since he's been my favourite voice on radio. :{

Windy Militant
26th Oct 2004, 14:27
Not more than a couple of hours ago I recommended his show to Bino's in another thread. Was stunned to hear the news on the radio. He will be greatly missed, alternative music has lost it's greatest champion. :(

Lon More
26th Oct 2004, 14:30
The end of an era, will be sadly missed. Condolences to all family and friends

XXTSGR
26th Oct 2004, 14:38
His lightness of touch on "Home Truths" was excellent - just the right mix of humour, fun-poking and empathy with those whose stories were often horrific.

His dry wit was brilliant, and his self-deprecating humour wonderful. I remember him starting a program with the words "Back in the sixties and seventies, when it was fashionable to be John Peel..."

MadsDad
26th Oct 2004, 14:45
Saw this thread, went and told MadsMum the news. Her reply was 'Oh, no!!!, bummer'.

Which was a quote of what I thought when I saw the thread.

Home Truths was one of two programs we made a point of listening to.

RIP John.

teeteringhead
26th Oct 2004, 14:53
What a loss! saturday mornings without Home Truths .... condolences to Sheila and family. Can hardly believe it.
There's a touching photomontage of "Peel through the years" on the mil forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=149768) , JP had worked for the British Forces Broadcasting Service and was well known and liked in the military.

Stupendous Man
26th Oct 2004, 15:20
A tragic loss to Radio and the UK music industry.
Its all been said in the posts above.

Gone to the Great Festive 50 in the sky.

RIP

OneWorld22
26th Oct 2004, 15:28
Terrible news, can;t beleive it. A marvellous servant to radio through the years.

Much loved by everyone in Britain it seems, he'll be sadly missed.

RIP John. Have a pint or two with George and John Lennon.

FunkyMunky
26th Oct 2004, 16:42
I'm too young to have heard most of his great work on radio, but as a regular listener to his recent shows on Radio 1 and 4, all I can say is this is a very sad loss.

RIP John Peel

Rushton
26th Oct 2004, 17:17
Great loss. Many happy memories of his very early shows in the late 60s. Without his bravery to play music that others would not, the whole music scene in this country would have ground to a halt. (IMHO) As would my interest the obscure.

RIP John

noisy
26th Oct 2004, 17:41
Oh no,

I was never a fan of his show but I remember him being on Room 101 with Paul Merton a couple of years ago speaking about how he had lived more years than his father. he seemed a genuinely affable nice kind of bloke.

Shocker.

WeatherJinx
26th Oct 2004, 18:01
I'm really upset about this, more than I thought I'd be. Great, great man....

tunalic2
26th Oct 2004, 18:06
John's voice was to the radio what the sound of waves breaking is to the sea.
just part of it!
We'll all miss him but not as much as his family,thankyou for sharing him with us.

cessna l plate
26th Oct 2004, 18:06
I can only echo what has already been said. A very sad day for music in general, and broadcasting in particular.

I am sure that he will be very sorely missed by anyone with anything to do with music.

RIP John Peel

cortilla
26th Oct 2004, 18:48
just heard a great suggestion that they should rename the number 2 stage at glasto the John Peel Stage. Let's lobby the organiser's.

And as an aside someone on radio1 said 'If god really is a DJ then he's out of a job now'

RIP John. Cheers for taking us to Peel Acres all those times.

Wedge
26th Oct 2004, 18:53
A sad sudden loss of a man devoted to music.

RIP :(

VFE
26th Oct 2004, 19:00
Such a shock.

There are some people you can never picture as being dead and John Peel was definately one of them. Such drive and enthusiasm for new music. Who could possibly hope to fill his role in popular music now? Nobody has the respect John had. Their opinions will carry little weight when placed next to his.

If something was worth listening to he'd play it no matter how poor the quality of recording, the packaging or the image. He had an ear for 'that special something' in pop music. Why they never had him on Pop Idol I'll never know......

A sad day for popular music - especially all the struggling young bands out there. :(

VFE.

SyllogismCheck
26th Oct 2004, 19:12
A musical visionary. The man who was prepared to buck the trend, play what he liked because he liked it and be the first to play a record he really felt for twice in a row on live radio just because he wanted to, and still right at the cutting edge after all that time. A giver and educator of music, not merely a player.

Without doubt a major contributor in shaping the UK music scene.
Radio wont be quite the same without his far ranging musical tastes and unforgettable voice.

A sad loss.

RIP

reynoldsno1
26th Oct 2004, 19:32
Sad, sad news. I have much Peel Sessions vinyl - they will now be swaddled in bubblewrap. Couldn't always understand some of his choices, but always looked forward to who would be unearthed next!! The quality of popular music radio will drop a long way without him....

cortilla
26th Oct 2004, 20:23
Just as an aside,

John peel was in a TV series on BBC2 called grumpy old men. Not sure if he's in this one but there is one on tonight at 10pm (short notice i know) and hopefully we get a few choice words from the institution himself. Hope he is on it

Paracab
26th Oct 2004, 20:46
To me, John Peel's show was how I think radio should be, I always got an image in my mind of a DJ sat in a darkened studio slowly working his way through a stack of vinyl.

Wasn't always keen on the records he played but it was worth listening for his soft Liverpudlian voice alone.

A massive loss for his family and the british music industry alike.

RIP John.

:(

Stupendous Man
26th Oct 2004, 21:19
For those that have VH2 on satellite/cable a John Peel tribute is about to start.

Not sure if its just music or interviews as well.

It would apperar just to be music...

Still, Undertones, The Smiths and Joy Division. Probably the best 15 minutes of TV this evening.

2 sheds
26th Oct 2004, 21:36
As others have said, his self-deprecating sense of humour...

(in miserable, grumpy-old-man voice with Scouse accent) "...this is laughing Jack Peel and the 'Sounds of the Seventies' "

Sad news.

Synthetic
26th Oct 2004, 21:38
From PinkFloyd to punk, John is probably the reason we heard it.

Tonight, the world is a little darker

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
26th Oct 2004, 22:38
Never missed his show on the World Service. A true professional. Listened to him as long as I've been overseas. Sad.

TimS
26th Oct 2004, 23:39
Bloody hated him for some wierd music programme on Thursdays (or was it Tuesdays) on Radio 4/World Service that used to wake me at about 0300 in the morning (Radio 4/World Service plays overnight in TimS's bedroom wherever I am) - being 'Peeled' as I and Mrs TimS used to refer to it.

But loved his other stuff - Home Truths in particular - and real style - was back in UK last Saturday and setting out on drive to see parents and disappointed to hear he was 'on holiday in Peru'.

Am now more than disappointed that I will not be hearing him on future Saturdays.

God Speed John and God protect Sheila (strange - I almost feel I know the lady) and family.

There's too much of this bloody dying going on !!

TimS

Ozzy
28th Oct 2004, 13:17
I go away for a couple of days and return to the news of Peely's death by heart attack at 65 years young. Christ, what is going on in the world that good blokes like him spurn their mortal coil so prematurely. He had many good years ahead of him of introducing us to new bands we'd like to listen to around 12 to 24 months after he first played them. God has a brand new DJ tonight. RIP Peely.:(

Ozzy

Blacksheep
29th Oct 2004, 05:25
The Old Grey Whistler. Magic. Thanks for all the music John... :(