PDA

View Full Version : Once Ive gained a 737 TR

bluefalcon
26th Oct 2004, 12:33
hey there,

well I finished not long ago my TR and Ive been sending like mad to all airlines, recruitment agencies, etc. Im low houred and have just the base check of the type. My friends, people who have joined the same scheme, have any of you found anything, is there any airline gettin low houred ones like us with TR?
I knew my chances whernt amazing before I started but Ive been sending since ages and nothing going on not only in europe but all around this planet that we inhabit.
Id kindly like to hear your opinions and advices,
thanks and softbutter landings to all,
;)

RVR800
26th Oct 2004, 13:04
You have made an extremely wise move and your positive
attitude should get you employment is the very near future
Well done; you are now fully qualified...You can relax!

Snigs
26th Oct 2004, 14:38
Yep, don't worry. It won't be long before you get the desired phone call. I suspect you won't even need to attend an interview. If only more people had the where-with-all.

Megaton
27th Oct 2004, 06:26
Quite fancy some softbutter landings :p

Roidelstein
27th Oct 2004, 10:55
All I seem to be able to manage at the moment is ican'tbelieveit'snotbounced landings!

pipo the clown
27th Oct 2004, 10:58
Maybe you should, to gain even more qualification, buy an A320 typerating.
It will look good on your resume.

Easy Glider
27th Oct 2004, 12:46
True, true. I think however that you should now go and buy a 777 and 747 400 rating !!!!!! With all that on your licence you are bound to get a job.

FYG
27th Oct 2004, 13:36
OH DEAR!!!!
Blue Falcon, go here www.pittraining.co.uk without delay; its the best £140 you are ever likely to spend.

south coast
27th Oct 2004, 15:52
...hear NASA is looking for people to do their SSTR course.

what about emailing virgin galactic as i dont think to many will have that rating yet, they may also have a SSTR scheme.

could be worth a look.

:ok:

dreamingA380
27th Oct 2004, 16:17
He hehehehe

previous posts made me chuckle. Surely there is no need to buy any rating at the mo? .... I've been looking for my first airline job for just over a year ..... and got offered two in a space of a week!
Both were with carriers who value their staff and fund their training.

Hope the gamble works for you.
good luck.

bluefalcon
27th Oct 2004, 16:36
Im impressed of how you all take it , the fact is that if you wouldnt even be considering of self funding your own TR I cant honestly know why you´ve opened up this thread. Anyways this was for the many people that have actually done it, fact is that more and more airline and recruitment companies are offering it, and thats cuz people are actually paying for it,
Ive been a wannabe for nearly 2 years, attended 2 airline interviews and no luck, its as hard as we all know, and persistance and will to get a job is somethin well known by me.
this is a move that sooner or later you will be considering and if not youll end up paying anyways when Brittania, easy, ryan, go and many more accept you with the condition of SSTR.
So people who´s gone through this, what have you outcomed out of it?,

Many softbutter landings,:cool: :}

Craggenmore
27th Oct 2004, 18:50
fact is that more and more airline and recruitment companies are offering it, and thats cuz people are actually paying for it

yes and its a real shame...

Craggs

Racing Green
27th Oct 2004, 18:57
Thats the problem, you can buy a type rating but you can not buy a sense of humour/personality. All these airlines that hire self funded type rated pilots may reduce their training costs, but are they getting the right person for the company? As some Chief Pilots say one of the criteria for hiring someone is 'can I sit next to him/her for six hours and then have a beer/ coffee'

And no that is not my post in the Far East forum asking about the self funded air Asia type rating deal !

bluefalcon
28th Oct 2004, 11:55
To pipo the smart clown,
I understand you wrote in the "I will not pay for a T/R thread":

"I once bought with my stupid head an EMB-120 typerating for the price of 45000 Euro's".
:confused:
No more comments, about that. What I payed didnt even get to half of what you payed and if I did go for that is cuz a 73 TR gives you higher chances than the EMB120, Its a risk like all, you took it also, but the fact is that many people have done that also and found a job. This is for the rest of all, As far as Im concerned, aviation is not and wont be what we intend it to be, why do you have to pay for your instructor course, if a training school would need you as an instructor, shouldnt they be paying for it, thats another principle of "I wont pay to get a job" and theres even more, why do loads of us go to the US to build hours and pay 1000´s of bucks. What is the end of all that= getting a job.
Some things look worst that others, but it the end it comes out to be the same= be more qualified, have a better resume, etc.
You are all aware that we are far more in the street than needed in a cockpit, then of course this is like a race, a struggle, I don´t have time to waste and I prefered doing this cus going to the Us and having gotten my instructor lic. would have ended in the same money spent and in the same situation as I am now.
with no turbine hours you dont go anywhere. Maybe theres an airline or two once a year that do appreciate the old times of when they used to hire non experienced and pay for their T/R but thats for most of us a Myth, we hear about it in this forum, but the actual ones that get in are in the end a very little number, not to mention that they could also have contacts in the airline.
We are not contemplating something that now a days they only want to reduce costs in training etc, but in a way thanks to that its easier, cheaper to fly and hence theres more pilots needed, the only problem is that theres too many qualified pilots out there, and now that this is starting to move its when its time to do something.
I do think like most that we should get everythig paid, and ive been like this for nearly 2 years untill ive realised what there actually is.Im not saying that this is the correct move to make, but its from what some other people have experienced, there only chance, lets see what happens. ;)
Softbutter landings to all:ok:

Frank Furillo
28th Oct 2004, 12:13
A very well thought our argument, Bluefalcon, I wish you the very best of luck in securing a job. Nobody wishes to pay for a Type rating, but you will pay for one, one way or the other (bonding for example). All we ever hear on this forum is from people who slate everyone who even considers doing a type rating.
FF

nopoal
28th Oct 2004, 15:40
Have a lok in this site and good luck

http://www.airasia.com/general.php?p=askus/jobs/copilot&l=en

flaps 15% :cool:

pipo the clown
28th Oct 2004, 15:54
I never said I was smart and I indeed, stupid enough, bought an useless typerating and now I am gaining weight (mass) and my T.V. is making overtime.
When I did this, a paid job was offered before I paid this money.
The only thing I can say is that my EMB120 T.R. finally paid back with the last job I have had. (9 months ago)

I only want to spent money on T.R.'s when a paid job (with all the normall benefits) is offered on forehand. I personnaly would go for a TRSS thingy in fashion by the many companies in the U.K..
Without any securety a T.R. alone would not help because a company wants you to stay with them for a stable workforce.
If there is no bonding you can jump ship any time and that is what they don't like.
Also the flavour of your T.R. is important I believe.

I am now 37 years old with a full ATPL (1850 hrs and command EMB120) without work. I also am not lucky with finding a normal flying job and if I want I can do a T.R..
I am not smart, can only fly planes, but refuse to make the same misstake twice.
What is the general opinion about the Brookfield setup ?
Is it technically a job?

Cheers to all.

worzel
28th Oct 2004, 20:10
Frank Furillo
Nobody wishes to pay for a Type rating, but you will pay for one, one way or the other (bonding for example).

How is bonding paying for your own type rating? When bonded, the company pays for the type rating, you just have to stick around for a while.

pipo the clown
28th Oct 2004, 23:15
To me it would be no problem at all. It would be even better than a SSTR because when the company goes bankrupt (in my ''career'' it happened 3 times) you don't have the problem of the aftermath (your bonding is than cut).
If I was hired by an airline with only bonding, I wil grow to be a real ''company'' man (if the pay is right).
But if you have another type of bonding, like borrowing 32000 euro's, and a part is subtracted from your salary (to pay back the T.R., say over 5 years), you are in trouble when the company seizes. The leftover of the loan is then your responsebility.
I would go for a SSTR but only with a strong company that is in financial good health.

Excuse my english, cheers to all.

bluefalcon
29th Oct 2004, 11:59
Thanks nopoal, and to all, and no hard feelings pipo,we are all stuck in a way or other, and I do wish you luck, try maybe with carriers in Brazil, they have a lot of Emb120 operators.
Air Asia is something very discussed in this forum, but are they actually hiring europeans with little experience? cuz i heard that theyre looking more for indonesians, indians and people from around that area,their govts have some kind of agreements there. The only way to get in from what im aware is through line training companies that again is by us paying.
Ive tried there before and aft the TR, and no response. Whats with the eastern european market and their low cost carriers, tried also there but not much hiring at the moment, any other news from low cost carriers around the globe?

softbutter landings, ;)

PPRuNe Towers
29th Oct 2004, 12:14
Yes there is news but you won't like it. Any growth is problematical.

Regional Budget Airlines Face Passenger Plane Shortage
By Abdul Hadhi

SINGAPORE (Dow Jones)--Southeast Asia's mushrooming budget airlines are facing a shortage of passenger aircraft which means higher leasing costs on top of rising oil prices.

Many of these airlines prefer the A320 from Airbus due to its low operating cost and fuel consumption. A second choice is the B737 NGH from Boeing.

Budget airlines that are going to be launched or seek to add more aircraft next year will have to grapple with the higher costs while trying to offer the lowest fares amid a price war to capture a bigger slice of the economy air travel pie.

Over the last six months, the situation has gone from one of oversupply for these 100 to 150 seat aircraft to one where there are very few available for lease.

"This year, there are no new A320s or B737 NGs available (for lease). Next year, it's less than 20," said Sean Lee, spokesman for Singapore Aircraft Leasing Enterprise, or SALE.

"Lease rates for new single aisle aircraft have gone up 10%-15% since the start of the year," he added.

SALE, an associate of Singapore Airlines Ltd. is Asia's leading aircraft leasing company, with about 62 leased aircraft to 30 airlines worldwide.

Current rentals for new A320 aircraft range between US$250,000 to US$350,000 a month depending on the length of the lease.

Singapore-based Tiger Airways chief executive Patrick Gan shares the concern over the shortage.

"This rapid increase in demand for these two plane types is certainly an area of concern for the industry as a whole, restricting the available number of new planes and driving up plane leasing costs, which may eventually force market players to raise airfares," Gan said.

Janet Tan, chief executive of Singapore-based A-Sonic Aerospace Ltd also referred to the shortage of A320s in a recent briefing to announce her company's plans to set up a budget airline in China.

A-Sonic's China venture aims to start commercial flights by the third quarter of 2005 by which time the shortage of planes may have eased, she said.

In Singapore, Tiger - 49% owned by Singapore Airlines Ltd. - and Valuair Ltd. another budget carrier have opted exclusively for the A320.

Valuair hopes to add two aircraft every year to its fleet, in addition to the two it already has and two more it will take delivery of in December, while Tiger's plan is to have up to 12 planes by 2006 . SIA's regional arm, SilkAir - also uses the A320 as does Jetstar Asia - 49%-owned by Qantas Airways Ltd.

Within Asia, Thailand's Bangkok Airways and India's Kingfisher Airlines and Air Deccan use the A320 while Malaysia's AirAsia is considering using the aircraft.

The tight supply may ease as some U.S. airlines filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection may be forced to sell aircraft as part of restructuring plans, Valuair chief executive Sim Kay Wee said.

UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, the second-largest U.S. airline, is wrestling with a plan to emerge from bankruptcy-court protection. US Airways, which has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection twice in two years, is trying to impose concessions on its workers after failing to negotiate cuts with unions.

SALE's Lee, however, doesn't expect the A320 shortage to ease by any significant way in this part of the world.

"There's strong demand for these planes in the U.S. too and many of those coming into the market because of the Chapter 11 are likely to be snapped in the U.S.," he explained.

Frank Furillo
29th Oct 2004, 12:46
Worzel

For example Easyjet's TRSS

Bond £23000
repaid at £5000 per year for 5 years

Salary £28060

Non Bonded Salary £33060

Tesco loan for £23000
Five years @£448.30 Per month
Total amount payable £26898
APR 6.5
to make the payments you would have to fork out £ 379.60 per year out of your earnings.

so to recap:
salary for five years

Bonded £140300 minus loan short fall £1898 equals £138402

Non Bonded £165300

Difference is £26898, which, happens to be the same amount of the loan from Tesco's, although if you pay for a type rating you have the ability to switch employers.

As the saying goes you pays your money, you takes your pick

Anybody wanting financial advice should sod off.
FF