PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprinting for all supposed to start today.

Bre901
26th Oct 2004, 10:46
Today is the day when visas are required for non-machine-readable passports holders and photographing and fingerprinting become mandatory for all visistors to the USofA, including visa-waiver holders (most EU visitors)

see here (http://www.trailfinders.com/visawaiver.htm)

Any fresh (obviously) experience ?

MODS : I'm aware this belongs in the SLF forum, but it would be nice to leave it in R&N for a couple of days, TIA.

Big Tudor
26th Oct 2004, 11:04
Went through SFB 3 weeks ago and had the photo and fingerprinting done. Have to say it was a fairly smooth operation, although some probing questions from security. Piccy and print taken within 20 seconds while dealing with the landing card so no real feeling that the process took any longer than normal. Staff were all fairly pleasant but efficient. When it works (which it seemed to on the day I went through) nobody should notice any difference. How it copes when machines start to break down or staff levels aren't what they should be remains to be seen.

fesmokie
26th Oct 2004, 13:09
Your absolutly right about the machines breaking down. It will be just like McDonalds when the cash register breaks down. END of SERVICE.

Jerricho
26th Oct 2004, 16:33
Just back from SFO, and both Mrs J and I went throught the procedure. Doesn't take long at all and is relatively painless (although, don't joke about fixing your hair for the photo...............some people just don't have a sense of humour)

an-124
26th Oct 2004, 17:40
Did it last night in ORD. Easy got to the desk and was gone 30 - 45 seconds later.
Don't know what all the fuss is about.????

UK immigration proceedure for non - EU citizens is 10 times worse....

Astra driver
28th Oct 2004, 22:48
Just to make you feel better,

When my 15 yr old daughter and I returned to Los Angeles from Mexico recently, (We are both US Citizens) we each had to answer a series of questions from the immigration officer regarding our places of birth and our current citizenship (this, after showing our US Passports). An interesting procedure, probably designed to catch off guard someone with a fake passport.

I am sure this questioning takes just as long as the electronic fingerprinting and photographing of non US residents. A minor inconveniance.

redsnail
30th Oct 2004, 13:24
Dan L,
Machine readabble means it has chevrons on it. eg this sort of thing >>>>>>>>

B Sousa
30th Oct 2004, 15:25
Dan L
In this time of mass confusion and the fact you are not travelling until next year. I think I would take the time and invest in a new Passport, just to save yourself some problems.......

Doors to Automatic
31st Oct 2004, 01:42
They should redesign Heathrow to have a separate channel for Americans - very slow lines and pig-ignorant officials without any sense of humour.

I'd also give them rafts of meaningless forms to fill in on the plane with stupid questions about importing snails and involvement in pre-1945 Nazi Germany - the latter being particularly salient to anyone under the age of 80. :\

B Sousa
31st Oct 2004, 01:42
Doors to Automatic writes:" very slow lines and pig-ignorant officials without any sense of humour. "

We already have that, its called TSA... I have a trip next week one-way, on an E Ticket recently purchased by my company.
How much money would you bet they will even be sticking the flashlight up my :mad: , while looking for Osama.
I know where he is. Hes in Monte Carlo with 50 Concubines and a big Gambling debt..........but dont tell TSA..

rej
31st Oct 2004, 17:17
Having just returned from the USA we underwent fingerprinting and photographing on arrival on 20 Oct 04 in Cincinnati/North Kentucky Airport. (what a great airport with great airport staff)

The entire procedure took such a short period of time that it was hardly noticeable.

IMHO ANY PROCEDURE THAT MAKES A COUNTRY OR MODE OF TRAVEL SAFER FROM THE LUNATICS THAT ARE WILLING TO KILL OR CAUSE THE DESTRUCTION OF INNOCENTS LIVES AND PROPERTY FOR THEIR 'CAUSE' IS 100% WORTHWILE.

Just one piece of advice. If you use those hand/facial wipes the airlines give you on the aircraft to use after a meal, the wipes tend to dry of all the moisture from your fingers which can cause problems with the scanner. The immigration guys get you to wipe you forehead with your finger to put some 'grease' on your digit to allow the equipment to scan the fingerprint.

Globaliser
1st Nov 2004, 18:18
Was in MIA on 22 October, expecting the usual nightmare to be worse than usual. However, immigration seemed to have nobody to deal with but our flight at the time, so it was straight up to the desk.

As others have noted, the actual fingerprinting/photographing process doesn't take that long if you don't have to wait in a queue, although I think it's a little bit more than the 15 seconds that the INS claim. It's a bit smoother and faster now than in February and March when my partner (non-VWP passport) first started getting hers done. But the problem really comes when there is a backlog of people to be processed - if you're in a queue that's 40 people long and then every person is taking an extra 20-30 seconds ...

CarltonBrowne the FO
2nd Nov 2004, 18:04
I went through ORD last month (thanking my lucky stars I was in Biz class- the queue behind me looked horrendous). The TSA, Immigration and Customs staff were all perfectly helpful- but I think I caused them problems with the fingerprint scanner. I have a scar across the left index finger- memento from a childhood accident- and the Immigration bod had to keep telling me to press the reader harder.
It's a good thing they didn't want to check all my "distinguishing marks".... :E