PDA

View Full Version : F-19 Stealth Fighter

Luca_brasi
26th Oct 2004, 10:34
Where can I find a copy of this classic game??

I have searched all over the net for it and can't find it anywhere. One of my friends has a utility which will slow it down without ruining the game play so it can be played on newer machines but I can't find the actual game.

Does anyone know where it may be hiding or does someone have a copy left??

Would be very much in your debt if someone was to provide a copy.

:ok:

Evo
26th Oct 2004, 10:44
Wow, that's a blast from the past

edit: oh well, my screenshot disappeared!

Best bet is probably ebay, i've picked up a few old games there (although Gunship didn't quite live up to how I remembered it!).

goates
26th Oct 2004, 15:21
Was this made by Microprose? If it's the same one I am thinking of, I'm pretty sure I have the disks somewhere at home. They would be for the Mac version though, so that may not help.

Otherwise, ebay is probably a good place to start.

goates

Gonzo
26th Oct 2004, 20:24
A few years ago I bought a load of old Amigas and games, sticks etc. from eBay. F-19, Sensible Soccer, the original F1GP, loads of old greats! I still enjoy them....

EGLD
27th Oct 2004, 21:26
Download the PC version (legally) here

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2229

SoftTop
28th Oct 2004, 05:24
EGLD - RESPECT!

I've been Googling, winMXing, Bit torrenting, and generally hunting hi and low and couldn't find it. Not a sign anywhere.

I might even give it a go again myself :cool:

ST

Luca_brasi
28th Oct 2004, 08:34
There is a God!!! :)

Thank you heaps, if your anywhere near Melbourne Australia let me know, I think that effort is worth a beer or two :ok:

Next question though. Whats an .RAR file and how do I open it?

SoftTop
28th Oct 2004, 13:18
I know this is off topic, but .....

Bit Torrent (BT) relies on being able to work with a large file being broken up into loads of much smaller ones.

When you download using BT, you are downloading parts of those small files with the eventual goal of having downloaded all of them. As you work your way towards 100% download, your BT application allows other users to access the data that you have already downloaded and they can then upload that.

The BT application I use allows me to see each of those pieces of the main file and I can see what percentage of those pieces has already been downloaded. It also allows me to throttle the bandwidth so preventing the uploaders hogging all my outgoing bandwidth.

The average split so far of me downloading and them uploading is about 4 to1 in favour of the uploaders :*

I can also see the IP address of the "person/persons" downloading from me and from whom I am downloading. That means that Big Brother can also see that information if they want to.:uhoh:

I haven't yet managed to figure out how to block outgoing traffic to people who are taking from me but are not also giving anything back!

Essentially, it's a rather well designed way of statistically spreading the load over many PCs allowing the best possible chance of getting all the bits you need to reconstruct the original file(s) because you don't have to download the files in a strict serial sequence ... if you see what I mean.

Do search for Bit Torrent and have a read through some of the FAQs on the subject.

Hope that helps.

ST

goates
28th Oct 2004, 14:08
I haven't yet managed to figure out how to block outgoing traffic to people who are taking from me but are not also giving anything back!

I don't this is even possible given how Bittorrent works. Nobody is sharing a foler of files like on Kazaa or the other P2P networks. The only computers you are going to see are the ones already dowloading the file you want. They will probably already have more of the file than you, so you will be downloading from them and not giving back to those computers. On the other hand, the same will happen to you when others start downloading after you.

As for everyone seeing your IP address, it's necessary for the computers to know where to send the information. As long as you aren't downloading anything illegal, it shouldn't matter. ;)

Whats an .RAR file and how do I open it?

A .RAR file is just another compression format like .ZIP. Look for a program like WinRAR to decompress the file. I've used this
program (http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm) to open them.

goates

Wedge
28th Oct 2004, 22:55
What a great game, I had it on the Commodore 64, found all the old maps the other day.

I started my flying career on the F-19 ;)

Spent far too many hours on it when I should have been doing my homework!

Obviously there was the American Imperialist subtext which brainwashed an impressionable 12 year old into believing that the Soviets were the evil empire. :E

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Oct 2004, 16:39
Biscuit Chucker,

I use Bit Torrent. It is great for catching TV shows we missed or for my wife and mother in law, shows like East Enders, which BBC America no longer carry.

I am in the World of WarCraft Beta. Blizzard North distributed the Beta via Bit Torrent. That says a lot for the technology. ;)

SoftTop,

The way Bit Torrent works is, the faster you can upload, the more data is sent for you to download. (Your download speed is a function of your upload speed.) If you were to disable your upload, then Bit Torrent would not download anything to you.

Take Care,

Richard

SoftTop
29th Oct 2004, 18:39
Richard - thanks for that.

It explains the "hint" on the progam I use which implies that your download is pretty much a fraction of your upload.

The least beneficial ratio I've had was about 6 to 1 and the best was about 2 to 1.

ST