PDA

View Full Version : Chinooks, Lynxs, Apaches - and the MoD

headsethair
26th Oct 2004, 06:04
The Public Accounts Committee of the UK Government is currently roasting civil servants for breakfast over various helicopter "cock ups" and "balls ups" (the words of the MPs on the Committee.)

I offer a link to the BBC's political website - and you should also be able to click on the "Yesterday in Parliament" audio to hear Sir Kevin Tebbit being exposed....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/default.stm

Otherwise, some extracts :

MoD head urged to quit on Chinook

The Ministry of Defence's most senior civil servant has been urged to resign by a senior MP over "blunders" in buying helicopters.

Sir Kevin Tebbit was lambasted by the Commons defence committee about why eight new helicopters worth £259m were grounded due to a procurement problems.

Labour backbencher Alan Williams asked him on Monday: "Don't you think you should consider your position?"

Sir Kevin said the way new kit was ordered had now been improved.

The Chinook helicopters were grounded because they could be a risk to fly in cloudy weather because the software which enabled them to do this could not be properly tested.

Chinooks are used for ferrying troops, artillery and supplies to and from the battlefield.

The committee also criticised the MoD over the lack of trained pilots which had grounded Apache helicopters and the equipment shortage which meant 24, not 33, Lynx helicopters were sent to Iraq.

Sir Kevin said the problems should not be compared as they were all very different.

He said nobody had known the next military operation would be in Iraq and he suggested people should be pleased the Apaches were now in Iraq.

There is nothing I can do to put it right overnight

At the committee questions session, Mr Williams branded the problems a "fiasco" and "downright absolute incompetence".

"You sound like British Rail saying it is the wrong kind of snow," he said. "The British Army is supposed to be able to operate anywhere in the world it is needed."

Fellow backbencher Gerry Steinberg said the mistakes had undermined the UK's ability to act in Iraq.

He said: "You balls up the Apaches, you also messed up the Chinooks, you also messed up the Lynx. Three acquisitions messed up.

"Every time you come to us you tell us it will not happen again but it does happen again."

Sir Kevin said he was sorry for the problems but added: "There is nothing I can do to put it right overnight."

Robbo Jock
26th Oct 2004, 06:24
Heard some of the exchanges on the 'Today' programme this morning - certainly sounded lively ! The Chairman had to intervene several times to stop whatever questioner and Sir Kevin arguing. One of the committee pointed out "of all the people this committee questions, you are the only one that causes arguments, with your attitude". Sounded like one of the more fun sessions.

MightyGem
26th Oct 2004, 19:16
Hmmm...so we have Apaches in Iraq. Obviously kept well away from TV cameras then.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
27th Oct 2004, 15:22
It's all true when I was in the Army Air Corps if the squadron had 8 helis then normaly only 2 would be serviceable at any one time, with a lack of spares or manpower the reason the rest where on the ground.

Max_Chat
30th Oct 2004, 20:47
WOW, you saw 2 S Lynx at once. Where?

SilsoeSid
30th Oct 2004, 22:07
CRAZYBROADSWORD,

I have had similar experiences, however it was 8 Lynx for the Regiment!!

And before anyone comments, it was a Lynx Regiment!!

SS

31st Oct 2004, 09:10
They're not called Pandas for nothing!!!