PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Crackers

eastern wiseguy
25th Oct 2004, 21:40
Hi All....my other half is an American .She wants to take some Christmas Crackers to the States as hold luggage....does anyone know the rules for this? I am almost certain I heard they were "dangerous cargo" but I am not sure .She will be flying back to the US on EIN/EI .
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

EW

Rollingthunder
26th Oct 2004, 02:40
Following is from the Eastern Airways website.

Christmas Crackers

"Passengers are permitted to carry in their checked baggage one box of Christmas crackers. The box should be packed in its original, manufacturers wrapping. It is forbidden for ‘Party Poppers’ to be carried either in checked or hand baggage."

Other airlines may be different, of course. Best bet is to call your airline. I have no idea what "Party Poppers" are.

The SSK
26th Oct 2004, 08:56
True story (honest).

My wife and I flew BA shorthaul from LHR last November with a box of a dozen crackers in our suitcase. Unfortunately, check-in decided that our OK res status was not OK and we would have to take our luggage to the gate, which meant passing it through the x-ray machine in the departure hall.

I also had with me a very large box of documents which wouldn’t go through the regular machine so I was sent with it across the hall to where they dealt with outsize items, while the Mrs stayed with the case. By the time I got through, I was expecting her to be waiting for me – couldn’t find her – wondered if she’d gone off shopping.

Then I realised she was still at the x-ray machine. They had extracted the box of crackers and were engaged in feeding them back through, one at a time, much to the annoyance of the enormous queue which had built up behind.

It turns out that on the first pass through the machine they had spotted a small sharp implement, maybe a pair of nail-scissors, inside one of the crackers. So they were working their way through them to identify which one it was.

When they found it, they confiscated it, and handed us back the other eleven small explosive devices to put back in the case and continue their journey.

redfred
26th Oct 2004, 10:10
on BA max is 2 boxes in either hold or cabin and max 6 xmas crackers in each box

Jerricho
26th Oct 2004, 16:41
Party poppers are those plastic cone shaped things with the string out the end that when you pull the string, it "pops" and streamers come out. They can hurt if popped close to somebody's ear or popped in somebody's face. I believe there has been a recent recall of some of them in the US as well.

http://www.confetti.co.uk/shopping/newshop/shop_images/web400/w44514.jpg

whisperer
30th Oct 2004, 15:38
Anyone got any ideas how American Airlines treat these things. I have just tried talking to the (UK) helpdesk, dippy bint there had no idea what a christmas cracker was!!

reynoldsno1
31st Oct 2004, 19:40
ISTR they are called Christmas(sorry, Holiday) Bon Bons in the USA.....