PDA

View Full Version : remedies for your pax airsickness?

volrider
25th Oct 2004, 14:54
Ok I know this will be opening a load of comments up but hey maybe some will be funny and some useful;)
With the great British windy season in full flow bouncing the helicopter all over the place any clues on how to keep the food inside the human cargo in the cabin and not all over the floor?:D

B Sousa
25th Oct 2004, 15:05
Hey, I can relate to this one. In flying the Grand Canyon I find many wonderful no wind days , BUT when its windy, there are times when I also become a passenger for a few seconds .
Puke bags got so expensive the owner went and got paper bags. They work but are not water tight more than 30 minutes. Last week I got my first three bagger, dam she must have hit one of those Las Vegas Buffets......
Anyway I tell folks on the preflight that the bags are for them and that things occur suddenly. This is not to scare them, but to prepare them. I also place them where they are easily accessible.
Also tell the pax if they feel a bit quesy to keep their eyes on the horizon, it sometimes helps.
Other than that I advise them to move the microphone away from the lips should they need a bag..........

Good Luck...........BARF>.......

volrider
25th Oct 2004, 15:50
As daft as it sounds I think having eaten something prior to flying can help, nothing worse than heaving on an empty tum! I was wondering if there were any pre-treatments that can taken as a precaution though

topcat450
25th Oct 2004, 16:25
In the UK we have 'Ginger Nut' biscuits - but pretty much anything with Ginger in is supposed to have anti-nausia properties.

Does it work? I haven't a clue, but I suppose it's worth a try and it's got to be better than drugs. I have also heard of a device which you wear similar to a watch which can block some signals and cure sickness... but again, haven't got a clue if it really works or not.

In a chopper though can't you just dump the collective land in someone's back yard and kick the luckless person out there and then to make their own way back to the field? :}

Chippik
25th Oct 2004, 17:41
Neil Williams suggests eating a good meal before flying as the sugar etc (I think) helps reduce the onset of sickness

handysnaks
25th Oct 2004, 19:58
Dear Marge.

I have this 'friend', who feels sick when he gets inside my helicopter on a blustery day. I don't understand it myself, he rides a bike that wallows like a flat bottom boat on a stormy sea. ;) Can you help?

Dear Handy.

Maybe 'your friend' has drunk too much of that German 'Schadenfreude' and is now sick:yuk: with remorse at the way he has treated a fellow aviator who was just doing his best in a quest to circumnavigate the globe!

I suggest that he cheers himself up by taking a bit of exercise say, going for a walk in the woods with a group of like minded friends, I do know of a suitable place where parking is available

:p :ooh:

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2004, 20:02
Although my flying is so smooth I've never made myself sick yet, I have heard tell that a tourniquet applied to the neck helps keep it down... :yuk:

For the benefit of DXWombat, who might go off the deep end and point out how very very dangerous this is (just like my proposed Ibruprofen hangover cure of a couple of weeks back) - Yes, I am only joking, and one should read the instructions on the tourniquet packet first...... :rolleyes:

zeeoo
25th Oct 2004, 20:06
have an half an hour with a crop-sprayer between trees and under electric high-voltage lines, it is a radical vaccination against further illness !
:yuk:

Hughesy
25th Oct 2004, 20:14
Make a small slice in bottom of the sick bags of a friends chopper, it may be messy, but would be quite funny.:E

Keep flying as smooth as possible, have vents open to allow some fresh air in, so cabin doesnt get to stuffy.Slow down in turbulent conditions. Maybe advise passengers when you are going to turn, so they are prepared for a turn.

Hughesy

SASless
25th Oct 2004, 20:30
Very Large Black Plastic (with Nifty built in Ties) Garbage Bags...the 55 gallon size....double ply! Even an Air Force fighter pilot could hit the target with one of those.....with some guidance!

Amazingly enough....cheaper than design built and marketed "Air Sickness Bags" in the cute sky blue paper containers.

CyclicRick
25th Oct 2004, 22:46
Try a cork, or just kick them out beforehand.
I was sick once during training 'cos I missed breakfast....silly me! Eating something does help.

volrider
26th Oct 2004, 00:51
I have this 'friend', who feels sick when he gets inside my helicopter on a blustery day. I don't understand it myself, he rides a bike that wallows like a flat bottom boat on a stormy sea.
Hmmm couldn't be your flying skills could it how many hours this month... ;)

Maybe 'your friend' has drunk too much of that German 'Schadenfreude' and is now sick with remorse at the way he has treated a fellow aviator who was just doing his best in a quest to circumnavigate the globe!

Once again I applaud your skills at being able to read but sadly you still can't digest the truth

I suggest that he cheers himself up by taking a bit of exercise say, going for a walk in the woods with a group of like minded friends, I do know of a suitable place where parking is available
I gather this is from "personal" experience:ok:

MD900 Explorer
26th Oct 2004, 10:51
Oh man, i am terrible for this, especially when i am having to practice auto's. Nearly barfed up all over the instrument panel once. :yuk: I always use Stugeron , before flying available from most pharmacists. :E I try and avoid eating before a flight = bad airmanship, sends the c of g right out, not to mention the weight and balance issues. :E

As for your pax avoiding sickness, make sure if they miss the bag, they do it all over their lap and miss the nice leather interior or the carpet (Demonstrate the holding of the hand infront of the mouth technique - but it will always leak out) :E . Man that stuff stinks for months afterwards. :{

Happy Turbulence

MD :\

Eurobolkow
26th Oct 2004, 12:41
What is the worst aircraft you have either flown or been in for intolerance to windy/choppy conditions. I have been told by several people that the BK117 and thus by inference the EC145 are particularly poor in this regard??

volrider
26th Oct 2004, 13:32
Cheers for the advice MD900
Re worst aircraft..well you try sitting in the back of the flying fence panel..The Venerable and bouncy side slipping monster the MD900 is, crap in any choppy weather.... up and down like a bees'wing:*

Bertie Thruster
26th Oct 2004, 15:02
In the good old Wessex days; occasionally when a bunch of cadets were on a famil trip, the pilot would call for a sick bag to be passed up to by the winchman.

Retching sounds ensued over the intercomm.

(bag filled with hot veg soup from thermos)

Bag passed down to winchie for disposal.

Winchop would examine contents of bag in front of pax in cabin.

He would then get his trusty spoon out...................

volrider
26th Oct 2004, 16:54
Bet that was great to watch..the faces going grey and grey with every spoonful :D

John Eacott
26th Oct 2004, 23:35
Eurobolkow asks about the Vomit Comet (with that pseudonym, you should ask?).

The BK117 has a particularly uncomfortable lateral instability, which is accentuated in turbulence when exacerbated by the hard ride from the rigid rotor. Since the 117 has the same tail boom as the Bo105, the short moment arm makes yaw stability marginal, and almost guarantees that the pax in the back row won't feel too well after a very short time.

The only solution I've found is to not chase the ball, but to put in "out of balance" yaw pedal, then gently bring the ball back into the middle. Chasing the yaw just makes it worse.

Re the solution for air sickness, apart from a box of sick bags, we have some bands that are put on the passengers wrist, with a pressure point that is adjusted to fit on the inside of the wearer's wrist, between the tendons. It works very well, and straight away, unlike medications. :ok:

Tony Chambers
27th Oct 2004, 11:33
keep thier eyes on the horizon,
keep thier minds occupied and keep them chatting,
mints to suck on normally ok,
air circulating the cab.

hope these help you thay have helped me and in 14 years i never had a pax barf lol.