PDA

View Full Version : runway intrusion?

chuteless
25th Oct 2004, 12:59
came across this site www.ssca.co.uk
photos show interesting safety implications
any views (no pun intended)
tower is on the north side ,police pad is also on north side adjacent to 10 threshold no longer visable from the tower

on a differant note it is sad if we lose another airport to money problems
there are a couple of helicopter operators but maybe not enough
to keep it alive

chuteless

headsethair
25th Oct 2004, 13:38
Sheffield is great airport - but built in the wrong place. It is not an easy airport for FW - and particularly for singles.
At the moment, for helis, it's great - no landing fee if you upload at least 50 litres.
And maybe that's what it should become - a heliport with a training school and space for all types of machines.
They make much of the fact that they've had Bliar and HM in 146s land there - but I can't imagine that those machines are at anything like the weight that low-costs like to operate at. And that's why the airlines have deserted Sheffield.
The final opening of Doncaster (Finningley - Robin Hood Airport - whatever) will be the death knell for Sheffield.
I just hope that the folk who run reception, the caff, the fuelling and ATC at Sheffield get the gig at Doncaster - great people doing an excellent job.

MaxNg
25th Oct 2004, 17:19
Duh

There is one very simple reason why Sheffield city Airport came about, and it was not for any other reason than to get European funding.

:*

headsethair
25th Oct 2004, 19:08
and here's what's planned up the road.....they've even got the same major shareholder and they've nicked the city name !

http://www.bassetlaw.gov.uk/index/council-services-c1/economic-development-and-tourism-s10/airport_at_finningley.htm

It's that name : Robin Hood Airport. For Lawd's sake. The Donnydrome, maybe. But Robin Hood ? I suppose the caff will be called the Friar Tuck-in, the toilets will be the Little Johns, and you'll be checked-in by Maid Marion.

Flying Foxy
25th Oct 2004, 19:15
I hope the people who run reception, the café, and all other facilities at Sheffield (EGSY) stay right where they are doing the great job they do there!

Please go to the SSCA site, give it your full support and come and visit too!

FF (Student at SSA)