PDA

View Full Version : Flybe announce new routes & 737-300s from BHX (Merged)

330-Purser
25th Oct 2004, 09:48
Just had an email from Flybe saying they're starting 7 new routes in March, all seem to be in competition with bmibaby & MyTravellite, mainly to Spain and Portugal etc.

Also, they're serving these routes with 2 Boeing 737-300's!

Where are they sourcing these from I wonder??? Its going to get messy at BHX next Summer!

mysecretsmile
25th Oct 2004, 09:49
Just hot off the press form the Flybe website.

"Flybe. announces 7 new routes, 430,000 extra seats at Birmingham International Airport
25th October 2004
Flybe., Europe’s third largest low cost airline today announces seven new European routes from Birmingham International Airport, adding 430,000 seats into the market, taking its total seat capacity at Birmingham to two million seats. This consolidates flybe’s position as Birmingham’s largest single scheduled carrier.

Simultaneously flybe. is announcing that it will deploy its first ever 150 seat jet capacity – Boeing 737-300’s – to fly these routes from Birmingham. This confirms Birmingham as a major centre of operation for flybe.

Flybe. will offer these new services from Birmingham to Alicante, Malaga, Murcia, Faro, Palma, Almeria and Geneva. With prices starting from £39 all inclusive, tickets are on sale today at www.flybe.com (except Geneva which will be on sale in late June 2005). Flights to Spain and Portugal begin in March 2005.

The new routes follow hot on the heels of flybe.’s recent announcement of new French routes, and the addition of Liverpool John Lennon airport to its network of UK bases. This follows flybe.’s most successful year to date with the recent announcement of provisional profit figures for the financial year 2003/2004 of £3.1m.

Flybe.’s move is part of its ongoing commitment to providing an unrivalled low cost airline service to all the major regional population centres of the UK. The Midlands is a buoyant regional economy which flybe. expansion should help to grow further. Flybe. thanks Birmingham International Airport and the wider Midlands business community for the work done to aid with its aggressive expansion plans in the region.

The launch of the new routes out of Birmingham are part of flybe.’s ambitious summer schedule for 2005/6 which will be announced later this year and forms part of the airline’s overall strategy of continued investment and expansion of both its domestic and international route network.

More…

Mike Rutter, Sales and Marketing Director, flybe., commented: ‘Opening up the gateway to Europe for flyers in the Midlands has always been a priority for us, and we are delighted to announce our plans today. It’s good news for the local economy, and also a great new way for people in the Midlands to access mainland Europe for business or leisure. Whilst many of our competitors are route cutting and retrenching back to London, flybe. is expanding in the regions and is committed to bringing flights to your door.

‘As a result of these announcements CBI figures suggest that 430 jobs will be created in the Midlands economy, of which 25 will be created directly at flybe.’

Flybe. has always been committed to Birmingham and the Midlands, which is witnessed by its recent announcement of the largest sports sponsorship deal in Midlands history as it extended its deal as major club sponsor with Birmingham City, by a further two years to 2007.

‘With Birmingham now fully integrated into flybe.’s European network we’re going to be looking at adding more routes and more capacity over time – increased competition in the marketplace can only be good news for travellers from the Midlands. Flybe. will seek to add up to a further three 737’s over the next 24 months.

‘Birmingham International Airport has made this partnership possible, and we would like to acknowledge the efforts made by the BIA business development team to make these routes possible.’

Peter Vella, BIA’s Business Development Director said, “Flybe. has been an important part of the Airport’s development and success over the past 10 years and we are therefore delighted that it has decided to expand its Birmingham base in this way. The news not only demonstrates confidence in BIA, but also in the region, helping to create new jobs, support inward tourism, and offer Midlands' business and leisure travellers even more choice from Birmingham."

World Traveller
25th Oct 2004, 10:08
The email says 2 brand new 737s!!

WT

330-Purser
25th Oct 2004, 10:22
The email says 2 brand new 737s!!

As the Flybe website says "737-300's" I think we can safely assume they are not "brand" new!

New to Flybe, yes. Brand new, I doubt it!

ALLMCC
25th Oct 2004, 10:27
If they're 300s, can they be new? - thought all new 737s were now NG 600/700/800 etc.

serko
25th Oct 2004, 10:31
Can they be operated by FLYBE if they will only add 25 new jobs to the Birmingham area?

Cyrano
25th Oct 2004, 10:41
Anyone able to point me to the "CBI figures suggesting that 430 jobs will be created"?

I can understand what the job-creation reasoning could be. Route Development Funds (I'll take the one in Scotland, run by Scottish Enterprise, as an example) pay out based on the expected economic benefit (including jobs) of new air routes. Typically that means either inbound leisure routes (tourists coming to Scotland and spending their euros etc) or business routes (2-way business flows, more contracts for Scottish business, etc.) Routes which are almost all outbound leisure (e.g. Malaga, Alicante) don't qualify for route-development funding because they have no economic benefit for Scotland.

Ditto for BHX. How exactly does a Birmingham-Malaga (not even a new route, but one in competition with MyTravelLite for as long as they keep it up, and then with bmibaby) create new jobs in the Midlands (other than the 25 new direct jobs in flyBE to crew the aircraft)?

I can't believe that the CBI has done a specific analysis of the economic impact of these particular flyBE routes, so is flyBE telling porkies? :confused:

This is the kind of voodoo economics I expect from a Ryanair press statement! :sad:

World Traveller
25th Oct 2004, 12:16
330-Purser, in my defence the email they sent says "brand new" but the press release on the website says "scratty auld 300s" (or words to that effect).

WT

loveJet
25th Oct 2004, 13:13
Just saw this on flybe's website...

Flybe takes Boeing 737-300's to launch sunshine destinations from Birmingham to 7 destinations.

What the hell are they playing at!?

They DID have a good thing going but now i just think they're gonna blow themselves outa the water with this rash move.

Jet

jfriday
25th Oct 2004, 13:16
can you explain why this is a rash decision?? I think Flybe will easily fill a 733 from Birmingham to destinations in Spain and Portugal. I also think that there is probably enough demand to justify larger aircraft at their other bases such as SOU and EXT to do trips to places such as Malaga, Alicante, Murcia and Faro.

ALLMCC
25th Oct 2004, 13:40
Would there be some domestic routes ex BHX which might need 150 seat capacity at times?

EI-MD11
25th Oct 2004, 14:05
It also says on the website that the aircraft are 'brand new'!!

Impossible if they are using 733 methinks:confused:

Got to love their marketing department!:O

alterego
25th Oct 2004, 14:09
Looks like there's going to be quite a scrap at BHX. So much for Flybe/Baby merger on previous sites!

Not too sure how many 733s are available but I would guess there are not too many of the younger ones free. Hope they don't get old knackered A/C that keep going tech!

IMHO this will take Fybe out of its niche and into competition for survival with Baby, Jet2, Mytravellite, Eujet, etc.

Wycombe
25th Oct 2004, 14:13
....don't EZY have some of the last 733's built? Aren't they replacing them with NG's and 319's?

The Greaser
25th Oct 2004, 15:11
Ah.... we were just contemplating today where the 33V's were going to.

737James
25th Oct 2004, 15:12
I don't know where the FlyBe aircraft are coming from but had it confirmed at work over the weekend that here at Baby we are to get some ex Ryanair/Buzz 737-300 aircraft in November I just hope they are alot more reliable than the last two we got off GB
Airways we have had numerous tech problems with
.Also in February we are to get some ex Easyjet 737-300s the same applies we hope its some of the most recent aircraft and not the ex Go aircraft

Flightrider
25th Oct 2004, 15:29
That would be a surprising move for FlyBe - subsidising Jet2 / Channex to compete with them on Leeds-Belfast?

carlos vandango
25th Oct 2004, 15:33
I'm hearing Astraeus is the likely provider.

Meeb
25th Oct 2004, 15:42
Routes which are almost all outbound leisure (e.g. Malaga, Alicante) don't qualify for route-development funding because they have no economic benefit for Scotland.

There is no distinction... any new route gets discounted landing fees.

And... it is not 'run by Scottish Enterprise', it is a Scottish Executive initiative.

Call Established
25th Oct 2004, 16:33
I reckon the following are on the final shortlist to provide:

Chanex
Astraeus
Islandsflug

:D

GoEDI
25th Oct 2004, 16:34

It has to be year round service and not just seasonal does it not?

aeulad
25th Oct 2004, 16:56
In other Flybe news, there is a new daily Southampton-Exeter flight in the flybe timetable for summer 2005.

Regards

Mike

akerosid
25th Oct 2004, 17:11
Now, if only they could find some 737s to put on the JER-LGW route!

Does this spell the beginning of the end for the 146?:{ :{

jabird
25th Oct 2004, 20:24
Lovejet,

"They DID have a good thing going but now i just think they're gonna blow themselves outa the water with this rash move."

Whether it is a wise decision or not remains to be seen, but it is not rash. JF has been talking about the possibility of 737s or Airbus a/c for at least a year now.

Surely you can't have a loco though with 3 totally unrelated a/c types - akerosid, I think you have to be right about the 146's going - but when?

Cyrano
26th Oct 2004, 09:13
Meeb:

And... it is not 'run by Scottish Enterprise', it is a Scottish Executive initiative.

The Scottish Route Development Fund was established by the Scottish Executive and is administered by Scottish Enterprise. Do a google search on "Route Development Fund Scottish Enterprise" if you wish to confirm this.

There is a distinction as far as the route development fund goes. GoEDI is right: a route needs to be year-round, to have a minimum average frequency (5/week, I think) and to be to a destination with at least some benefit to "Scotland PLC". (As for the discounted landing fees which BAA/HIAL might provide anyway to a new route, that's a separate issue.)

Oh, and ib16uk, (adopts tired voice), yes, I do realise Britain does not use the euro, thanks. Referring to people spending Euros here was a figure of speech to illustrate money coming from abroad into the UK. Sorry if it was too complex. ;)

Now back to regularly scheduled programming. :)

With flyBE announcing 737s to the sun from BHX and bmibaby on the way in, would anyone care to speculate how many weeks until MyTravelLite throws in the towel on their scheduled operations and goes over entirely to seat-only sales on charter flights?

Torquelink
26th Oct 2004, 12:34
Hear they're presently evaluating A319vs B737-7. Presumably whichever is selected will replace all 146s/RJs and the wet leased 733s - back to a two type fleet.

sparkymarky
26th Oct 2004, 16:05

This statement is incorrect. There is an evaluation based on economic benefit.

Hence new Ryanair flights to/from Germany are given a grant, as it is expected many Germans will visit Scotland. Whereas the Murcia route is not, as it is expected it will be full of Scots heading for the beach.

phil_2405
26th Oct 2004, 16:15
Does this news spell the end of the flybe/bmibaby merger and takeover rumours, as flybe is going head-to-head with baby now on the sunshine routes?

lead zeppelin
26th Oct 2004, 16:33
FlyBE to Operate Boeing 737s, Announces New Routes from Birmingham

FlyBE currently operates Bombardier
Q-Series turboprops and BAe 146s

FlyBE yesterday announced that it will operate Boeing 737-300s -- its largest aircraft ever. The low-fare airline also announced it will launch seven new routes from Birmingham International Airport.

FlyBE currently operates Bombardier Q-Series turboprops and BAe 146s. The 737s will be leased.

FlyBE yesterday said it will launch new service from Birmingham to Alicante, Malaga, Murcia, Palma and Almeria in Spain; Faro, Portugal and Geneva. The flights will add 430,000 seats into the market, taking its total seat capacity at Birmingham to two million seats.

The new routes follow FlyBE’s recent announcement of new French routes, and the addition of Liverpool John Lennon airport to its network of U.K. bases.

The launch of the new routes out of Birmingham are part of FlyBE’s summer schedule for 2005/6, which will be announced later this year.

Oshkosh George
26th Oct 2004, 16:41
This subject already running here with currently 29 contributions!

Do you look when you cross the road?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149637

Daza
26th Oct 2004, 17:13
Real missed opportunity NO NEW CITY PAIRS!!!??? why have flybe completely missed new destinations ex BHX such as LIS,SQV,BIO,BLQ,VCE,VRO,NAP,CIA,NCE,MRS,TXL,BOD etc

Good news for BHX passenger wise though so good news
Daza

Trislander
26th Oct 2004, 17:28
Daza

Because they EVALUATE and then pick the routes they think they can make the most money on! ;)

Some of the older 146's will go I expect but they will still need some of them for the time being, in:

-SOU (especially)
-GCI
-JER
-BHD

Well done again flybe!!!

:ok:

Daza
26th Oct 2004, 17:39
Trislander these routes are duplicated by both BMIBaby and MyTravelLite what WILL happen is that one or more of the above will be forced off the route(s). I agree that Flybe have done well they really do support BHX and other regional airports IMHO I hope that Flybe make these routes work but I have doubts that all the above can operate on these routes long term.
Daza

Hudson Bay
27th Oct 2004, 10:54
The airline operating the damp lease is Astraeus. A further 2 733 will be anounced at the end of November. The basing has still to be confirmed but will probably be Southampton. In addition, upto 15 Dash 8 options will be transferred to firm orders.

dwlpl
27th Oct 2004, 11:00
What can be expected (re aircraft and route) for flyBE's 'raft of routes' from Liverpool?

ALLMCC
27th Oct 2004, 14:17
dwlpl

Have heard that a mixture of Q400s & 146s are to be used on BHD - LPL - however, the no of seats on offer will be dictated by whether BHD gets its passenger no cap increased/lifted - this is currently in the hands of the planning authorities with a decision expected early 2005 - the decision will hopefully be positive as Flybe are expecting high demand on this route.

Have also heard that the 737s could be utilised on some of the busier domestics, if required.

Trislander
28th Oct 2004, 18:23
Apparently the a/c are to be leased with flightdeck only, Flybe cabin crew to operate down the back. Lease will be until flybe decide on the 146 fleet replacement programme (toss up between A319/B737) and start aquiring the chosen a/c.

But who really knows, all rumours at the moment.

Tri:ok:

FLYING-FODDER
28th Oct 2004, 22:08
733 RUMOURED TO BE FROM ASTRAEUS ON INITIAL WET LEASE, THEN DAMP LEASE WITH FLYBE C/C.

Daza
29th Oct 2004, 16:25
There is another thread running on this forum that Flybe are to purchase 12 319s anyone have any further news on this development??
Daza

we_never_change
29th Oct 2004, 18:52
Another rumour however is that Boeing have offered British European a very good deal on some B737-700s which Airbus can't (or won't) match for some A318/319S

WNC

aeulad
30th Oct 2004, 15:13
I don't THINK Astraeus will have 733s available for next summer to spare, unless the Iceland Express operation is being handed on to another operator.

Regards

Mike

MOR
31st Oct 2004, 07:05
Hudson Bay

733 out of SOU? Don't think so... too short, and too many noise implications. Never happen.

Daza
31st Oct 2004, 07:12
Will Flybe utilise 733s on BHD as well as Med routes? I have a rel who works for Aviance at BHX who informs me that BHD-BHX-BHD are often full or overbooked. Do Flybe intend to add further aircraft/routes from BHX?
Daza

Puritan
31st Oct 2004, 08:27
aeulad (Mike) - in the 'StarFlyer' or 29th October ( Astraeus' fortnightly in-house newsletter ) it says: Astraeus are presently talking with FlyBe for the provision for two B737s.
Any such provision would be in addition to Astraeus' current B737 fleet. ( Nb. the Iceland Express contract has a while to run yet ! )
Whilst talks between the two airlines are at an advanced stage, precisely who FlyBe intends to award this business to is, as yet, unfinalised.Aside - One suspects that any such arrangement will be very much as per AEUs contract with Iceland Express/IE - by way of a damp-lease, i.e. where AEU supply aircraft & pilots, and FlyBe supply the cabin crew.
( .... and on the subject of IE; it's been rumoured that IE has recently been the beneficiary of quite a substantial share purchase from an Icelandic investor... one, I hasten to add, that's not previously been associated with aviation )

We live in interesting times !

aeftutor
31st Oct 2004, 14:24
mor

SOU has had 733, 734 & 320 all operating this summer WITHOUT any problems. So there is no reason why Flybe could not use either a 733 or a 319 out of SOU on a regular basis.

MOR
31st Oct 2004, 14:31
Yes there is, which is what the ops department found out when this was first looked at over two years ago. There was a reason that flybe originally ordered the RJX, and SOU was a large part of that.

The other reason is noise - the reason the 146 is tolerated is the lack of noisy reversers. Noise is a major issue at SOU and is set to become more so - just ask the SOU flybe base captain.

JobsaGoodun
31st Oct 2004, 17:24
MOR,

SOU was but a twinkle in the eye of British European when the RJX was ordered. The RJX was ordered by Barry Perrott a few months before his departure and was selected for its abilities at LCY where BE was building a substantial base.

With Jim French and the advent of Flybe there was the realisation of the need to provide a mixture of leisure and business routes. this would cause far less exposure in the event of a market turndown. The leisure routes are further afield and the main reason for selecting the 737/319 as an addition to the fleet is simply that Flybe know that the extra capacity can be filled from the bases that such an aircraft would operate from.

SOU/EXT and now BHX are all airports that can support larger aircraft on the trunk leisure routes into Spain/Portugal. Time will tellif these will be seen in EXT or SOU next year.

Trislander
31st Oct 2004, 18:29
MOR,

Jobsagoodun is right. The performance of the RJX is little better than the 146 which is similar to the 737 out of SOU. As someone has already mentioned, SOU does have during the summer 733's 734's 757's F100's A320's and the like operating out of SOU and most non-stop too. Those that do have to stop are purely to take on more pax rather than refuel. It can be done, and has been done, no matter what someone looked into 2 years ago!

It also makes a difference if you are operating the CFM 56-3B1 or -3B2 engined variants too.

Tri

MOR
1st Nov 2004, 01:16
Jobsagoodun, Trislander

Hate to let the truth interfere with a good story... but... at the time the RJX was ordered, LCY was in serious trouble (as a base), and SOU was being actively looked at. There are several reasons for this, most of which I won't go into here - those who were around at the time can probably guess.The RJX did have significantly better performance than the 146 (those nice new engines), and much longer legs as well. It was already known, at that time, that flybes future rested in the markets and airports that the other LCC's couldn't use, and SOU was right up there in their thinking long before the base was opened - in fact the first time I heard it mentioned by "them upstairs" was when the Scottish bases opened.

Regarding SOU, there is a difference between summer charter activity and scheduled activity. It has to do with, essentially, noise, and there are limits placed on such activities. It is a holdover from the mid 90's - in those days, jet movements were limited to 11 per month! BRAL changed all that, but the NIMBY brigade are vociferous and there has been talk of more restrictive limits at SOU ever since the first flybe 146 landed there. If the locals had their way, all jets would be banned. As it is, expect to see more restrictive SID/STAR procedures there as time goes by.

SOU needs significant expansion before it will be viable for all those extra movements - the preferred airport for charter activity has always been BOH in any case.

But don't believe me, try phoning the airport operators and ask them...