PDA

View Full Version : Air Mauritius continues downward slide

G Jetson
25th Oct 2004, 03:42
Air Mauritius is set to announce the axing of more routes in an attempt to curb its precarious financial situation.
This follows the axing earlier this year of its flights to Geneva and Zurich.
Management have also struck a dead end in its talks with Boeing with regards to replacement of its aging and unreliable 767's due again to the companies dire financial situation.
The pending announcement by the government to devalue the Mauritian rupee by 35% will not help matters and explains the loss of up to 5 pilots per month to other airlines.
In the last five years the Mur rupee has lost 20% of its value making any gratuity payments nearly worthless.
The company has had little success in attracting new pilots due to the low salary and relatively poor conditions.
Pilots expecting upgrades to other fleets or to commands have also been let down with the DFO advising there is no career opportunities for expats in Air Mauritius.

Momo
25th Oct 2004, 09:18
They still fly to Geneva and Zurich according to their web site and timetable. I just booked with them last week as well.

Momo

Watchdog
26th Oct 2004, 20:38
G Jetson,
where do you get your info from? Their annual report seems healthy, and as momo says they still fly to GVA & ZRH. Where did you see the info about the proposed 35% deval of the rupee?
thanks.

G Jetson
27th Oct 2004, 22:22
Maybe it was Geneva and Zurich they were looking at axing, the Rupee info came straight from a "reliable source" on the inside.

Icebreaker
28th Oct 2004, 21:25
G J
noticed you've only just registered on pprune - methinks you might be a MK wind up? eg. 'planet earth'
you live & work in MUR?
IB

G Jetson
29th Oct 2004, 06:58
No I don't live in Mru but have visited MK freinds there, doing a bit of "pre-employment snooping". I'm usually a reader not a writer but after receiving this info thought other pilots might be interested as a number of new recruits over there have found out too late what conditions are really like.
I see in the African forum someone else has asked the "why are so many pilots leaving MK" question.
Like a lot of others I decided not to apply to MK.

Byjingo
29th Oct 2004, 07:03
GJ,
Know what you mean, I did the same thing, spoke to a number of the MK guys on layover, verry unhappy lot, all with resume's out, all because of management by the sounds of it.

Hope they all get to move along to a company that appreciates them.