PDA

View Full Version : Outlook problem

HughMartin
24th Oct 2004, 19:22
I am considering moving from Outlook Express to the full Outlook program.

Outlook Express shows any attached photos in the preview window and in the body of a received email. How do I get them to show in the preview window of Outlook? I don't want to have to open any attachements every time

Thanks in anticipation

Two_dogs
24th Oct 2004, 22:55
Hi Hugh,

Outgoing messages must be in HTML format to place photo's etc. in the message body. Plain text or rich text format will not work.

With the new message window open, click on Format, HTML. Next click on Insert, Picture and browse to the required item. Click open, click OK.

Your photo etc. should now appear inline in the message body.

Two Dogs
http://www.avcanada.ca/albums/albums/userpics/11506/thumb_twodogs4.jpg

HughMartin
25th Oct 2004, 07:10
Thanks Two_Dogs for your reply. Its the incoming mail that I am having the problem with. Everything is set (I think) to HTML but no picture attachments are showing in the body text of the email when viewed in the preview window.

DeepC
25th Oct 2004, 10:02
I think one of the latest MS patches stopped the automatic displaying of pictures to try and combat the spread of viruses.

DeepC

flyingwysiwyg
25th Oct 2004, 13:33
Hi Hugh,

Depending on what version of Outllok you have (the following is for MS Outlook 2003) then you need to click on

<Tools> <Options> and then click <Security> tab.

Under security zones, there is a button to allow you to change your download options. Obviously a good idea to make sure your Antivirus is good quality and up to date as you are effectively removing a line of defence.

Hope this helps.

F - Wyg.

(I believe I'm right in saying that viruses could only be spread by .jpg files in XP home without service Pack 2)? Someone else will know for sure)

HughMartin
25th Oct 2004, 20:26
Thanks flyingwysiwyg for your input.

Under Tools/Options/security, I can only find security settings relating to internet sites not email settings.

Any other pointers?

HughMartin
27th Oct 2004, 07:51
Can anyone else help me??

flyingwysiwyg
27th Oct 2004, 09:29
Hi Hugh,

What version of Outlook do you have?

Did you attempt to make those changes from within Outlook or Internet Explorer?

F - Wyg

HughMartin
28th Oct 2004, 09:08
It's Outlook 2002, SP3. I tried to make the changes from within Outlook.

Thanks for taking the time to help, F - Wyg

flyingwysiwyg
28th Oct 2004, 11:54
Hi Hugh,

I have a machine here running Outlook 2002 SP3.

If someone sends an Email with the picture pasted into it, it will display in the preview pane. However, if they attach the pictures, they will not automatically display, and you will have to open them from the attachments field in the Email.

As far as I know, this is the same for all versions of Outlook, and there is no way to automatically view attachments by default.

Sorry not to be more help, but there it is!

Somebody on here may be able to suggest an Email application with the same functionality as Outlook, but that allows you to preview attachments automatically. However, in my opinion, apart from that little niggle Outlook is far better than Outlook Express.

F - Wyg