PDA

View Full Version : Satan is Lord

Flash0710
24th Oct 2004, 15:20
According to one chap in the Navy.........

Apparently he will be able to practise and perform " Rituals "

Dont forget the goat Ron...........:E

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3948329.stm

F.

Jerricho
24th Oct 2004, 16:08
This reminds me of the census they took in Ozland a couple of years ago when I believe up to 30000 people listed their religion as "Jedi"

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Oct 2004, 20:10
Maybe he's Welsh and it's just an excuse to get a goat aboard. :E :ok:

Techchick
24th Oct 2004, 20:29
There is only one Lord.........

Call him what you like......... God, Allah, Emanuel, El Shaddai............

But not, interestingly, Jehovah.........

tony draper
24th Oct 2004, 20:39
Tiz no sillier than the rest of the religions,all of em nonsense in my book.
Satanism was totaly uneccessary anyway, christianity did his work without his help for close to a thousand years, we just managed to throw that one into the dustbin of history in the last hundred years or so where it belongs, and now we have to contend another lot of fanatical loons following another thousand year old instruction manual written for the control and mind fecking of illiterate goat herders.
Here we go again folks.

Miserlou
24th Oct 2004, 21:23
I was about to write that being a Satanist would qualify him for a medical discharge on grounds of mental health but then I remembered the the official religion is C of E.

All a load of twoddle whatever you call it!

Jerricho
24th Oct 2004, 22:04
"Are there any women here?"

BlueDiamond
24th Oct 2004, 22:36
Nah ... there's a whole house full of them in parliament. :rolleyes:

tony draper
24th Oct 2004, 22:41
Anyway the Church doesn't mind Satanists, tiz those Albigensians they are terrified of.
:rolleyes:

the_anti_christ
24th Oct 2004, 23:03

Call him what you like......... God, Allah, Emanuel, El Shaddai............

That's right folks, I don't care what you call me.

Jerricho
25th Oct 2004, 01:16
The_anti_christ?

Come on, is that my MIL trying to be smart?

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2004, 08:13
My mum's friend was known as Antie Chris. She went like the devil..... :E

tony draper
25th Oct 2004, 08:24
One's old mum had a pal like that when Drapes was a young lad Mr Torque, known as Auntie Brenda, big woman she was, she would come to Draper Towers to take tea and sit in a most provocative manner,one blames one's stocking top fetish and taste for big ladies on her.
:(

BlueDiamond
25th Oct 2004, 08:29
Maybe he's dyslexic and just doesn't know how to spell "Santa."

;)

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2004, 09:02
Aah, yes, stocking tops........you too, eh, Mr. Draper? The inventor of tights did man a grave injustice...... ;)

ORAC
25th Oct 2004, 09:19
As long as he keeps to himself I don´t care what he does.

Once served in the Falklands with a "fellow officer" who had "found God" in a big way. Ran nightly prayer meetings in his room and was always cajoling people to attend. Kept on harping on about saving our souls. Had a pile of fundamentalist tracts he kept handing out detailing how the Pope was the anti-Christ and the EEC was involved in a plot to get us all to have a bar code tattooed on our foreheads because they have the number 666 in them.... Nutter of the first water.

So upset one of our engineering Corporals, Cpl Delaney who ran the MT, that he renamed his office, "the 666 Taxi Company", and arranged for a tannoy to go out announcing that, "Devil worship would take place in the garage at 6 PM, p.s. bring your own goat"...

I`ve always believed everyone is entitled to go to Hell in their own way. But some God Botherers just do not understand when to leave the rest of us peace......

MadsDad
25th Oct 2004, 09:28
ShyTorque. It isn't so much the stocking tops as the giggle band above.

And as I have been forced to admit before, to my everlasting shame, it was my uncle who designed the first machinery for the mass-production of tights, for Pretty Polly.

The horror, the horror.

(Editted to replace the comment that I thought I had posted on the wrong thread but it was actually the right thread so I shouldn't have removed it and my head hurts and I think a lie down in a dark room is called for and........)

itchy kitchin
25th Oct 2004, 09:41
I'm not religeous but it's not right, is it?

...it wouldn't have happened in Nelsons day.
(cripes! i mentioned Nelson. This thread might get deleted!)

Send Clowns
25th Oct 2004, 12:09
Typically the BBC can't even get the library picture right on this one :rolleyes: Being the first ever satanist, presumably this story is fairly up-to-date. Why then the picture of a batch 2 type 22, the last of which, I believe, would have been sold to Chile were it not for political interference in this foreign state? They aren't still in service, are they? They then get the poor chap's title wrong. Whatever his rate, he certainly is not a "Mr".

The story made me laugh, though. Good on you, Chris :p

Flash0710
25th Oct 2004, 17:25
So its back to HMSO for the equal opportunity forms to add another column.

Tick here for Satanist..........:\

djk
25th Oct 2004, 17:47
As long as he's not a danger to the others onboard the ship or cause any problems, there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to practice his religion if that's what he believes in.

Think about the people who in the last UK census put "Jedi" as their religion, and some of them weren't joking either

Cornholio
25th Oct 2004, 18:52
As long as he's not a danger to the others onboard the ship or cause any problems, there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to practice his religion if that's what he believes in.Finally a member of the pro-PC do-gooder crowd to point the finger at for half the woes of the world. You jump in to save him and he’s sitting back and laughing at you.

If he really believes in the devil, he has to believe in the entire story. The bible says the devil will lose. If he believes in the devil, it is implied he believes in God and what the bible foretells. And what kind of moron would consign himself to eternal bent-overness forever and ever? Other than someone in The Navy…

He’s obviously some kind of anarchist or sh!t-stirrer who likes causing a ruckus and watching as the PC brigade all rush to change the world to accommodate him. I bet he’s a weirdo on the ship too.

Seriously, all you PC punters,why he shouldn't be allowed to practice his religion Because his “religion” is a stupid joke, that’s why. What other kind of imbecile are you prepared to indulge while you’re at it?

The sooner the PC crowd around here wake up and smell the brimstone the sooner things might start to improve in society.

This twit should be thrown in the brig for tongue-lashes or whatever the pussers like to do for punishment they’re at sea.

:hmm:

:zzz:

Navajo8686
25th Oct 2004, 19:28
Without wishing to mix a metaphor "Why the hell do we need any satanists?"

I only ask because the one they call God is surely the cruelist most hard hearted [email protected] around - a quick resume of the world does seem to indicate that when it comes to death and destruction God's the Daddy!

Presumably all the satanists don't get time........they've got to go and run airlines.......

:}

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2004, 20:19
Was once interviewing university student candidates for entry to the UAS. One pretty young girl was interviewed and did reasonably well.

At the end of the interview, as was the custom, I asked if she had any questions to ask me.

"Yes", she said. "I'm a witch. Does that matter?"

What was a man to say? Except "Er... I'd better ask the boss!"

His reply wasn't really printable - but we checked and couldn't find a QR that said she couldn't join!

Onan the Clumsy
25th Oct 2004, 20:37
If he believes in the devil, it is implied he believes in God and what the bible foretells Why is it implied that he believes in god? There are religions that believe in god, but not in The Devil.

and even if he did, why would he believe in the bible? I think you'll find that christians have a difficult time in agreeing on exactly what it's supposed to say.

However I have to give you credit forwould consign himself to eternal bent-overness forever and ever? Other than someone in The Navy
Then again, ifBecause his “religion” is a stupid joke, that’s why which ones would you class as 'stupid joke' and which ones would be 'acceptable'?

tony draper
25th Oct 2004, 20:43
"Do what thou whilt shall be the whole of the law"
Hmmm, hardly in keeping with Naval disipline is it?

:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
25th Oct 2004, 20:45
Depends what rank you are I suppose.

djk
25th Oct 2004, 20:48
Cornholio

A person is entitled to believe what they wish to believe it.
What business of it of yours to decide what relions are a joke and which are not?

Let's get one thing straight.
I'm not, as you put it a member of the pro-PC do-gooder crowd

I'm a follower of no religion, I believe in neither Satan nor God. If someone wishes to believe in either or follow either then I can't see a problem. It's not causing me any harm.

If people wish to follow Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc.. It's no skin off my nose.

What other kind of imbecile are you prepared to indulge while you’re at it?
No comment ;)

Navajo8686 ,

"Why the hell do we need any satanists?"

good question, why do we need anyone of any religion? *shrugs shoulders*

Thos. M Overboard
26th Oct 2004, 00:19
And Lucifer so loved his God that he was cast down from Heaven.

So the Angel of Light was thrown out of Heaven (the Legend of the Fall.) And look at all the great works that have been performed in the name of God, from the Inquisition, to the Genocides of the Conquistadors, through the Holocaust, to the current Arabian problem. All in the name of God/Allah/Yahweh-Jehovah.

And the people who venerate the Angel of Light are known as"Evil." Based upon what? A tabloid "understanding" that is more the theatrics of Crowley, Lovecraft and Hammer-Horror. The vengeful God of the Old Testament seen without the spin of later generations imbued with the false idol of Christianity is pure evil.

How many people have died in the name of Satan? Contrast that with those who have died in the name of God.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Oct 2004, 07:32
It's all politics.

"If enough of us on one side get together we can do something about the bozos down the block who don't think like we do...."

tony draper
26th Oct 2004, 08:59
Never understood the human desire to believe we are manufactured goods and that somehow constant appeal to the CEO will extend our warranty and guarantee us a place in the great scrapyard in the sky when we get beyond repair.
:cool:

BlueDiamond
26th Oct 2004, 10:23
Before anyone even considers promoting religion - any religion - as being a good thing, they should take a long, hard, cold, calculating look at the way its most notable feature is the ability to promote division, conflict and misery.

There is nothing like the subject of religion for turning people against each other with all combatants screaming that theirs is the only true version and declaring that everyone else is damned for following a different creed.

Very few people are ever prepared to behave in the kind, tolerant and charitable manner attributed to Christ, God, Jesus, Buddha, Mohamet (insert name of deity or prophet of choice), preferring instead to wage war on those who are not "believers in the true faith" (insert faith of choice.)

This thread itself is a classic example of how quickly the mere mention of religion can promote adversarial attitudes. The fact is that that is what religions do best ... create conflict.

allan907
26th Oct 2004, 10:41
Blue DiamondSo I take it that you're not one of the feckwit multitude of "god botherers" that write in to the West Australian then?

BlueDiamond
26th Oct 2004, 10:56
Correct, Mr. allan907. It is the utter hypocrisy demonstrated by some so-called "religious" people that I find disturbing. If they followed the principles outlined in their various Holy Books then that would probably be a good thing but it seems to me that few of them do. I am unable to reconcile the disparity between those teachings and the behaviour of those who profess to follow them.

the_anti_christ
26th Oct 2004, 11:25
It's ironic that those godbotherers can be much less than honest, friendly, caring or anything else they claim to be during the week, and on the holy day, they attend a place of worship and all is forgiven.

This is infact what the_anti_christ is really about. I put Satinism in the same basket as Christianity, and ALL other religions. They serve only to promote antagonism between one man and another when we should be celebrating diversity not hating it.

UL730
26th Oct 2004, 11:41
According to a naval friend of mine - this whole matter is not really newsworthy at all.

Satanists have been serving in the Senior Service for many years.

In the past they were known as gunnery instructors. :}

Wedge
26th Oct 2004, 12:36
Because his “religion” is a stupid joke

All religion is a stupid joke, but not a very funny one.

Glad to see that many here share my view on religion - that it is purely a political force for whipping up cultural, racial and ethnic conflict. You don't have to look far for examples.......

Still in the world of "rum, buggery and the lash" as Churchill put it, a Satanist can't be a bad thing.

And after all, Satan was the fallen Angel, so that makes him human doesn't it?

Athena5
26th Oct 2004, 12:58
Well as promised I've taken up a subject called 'Humanism and other Belief Systems' as part of my degree. The humanists claim to be in the context of what I'm learning anyway, atheists & only believe in what can be explained i.e. that is rational & proven.

We had an ex Government Minister in as a guest speaker last week. He believes generations of Irish children have been abused by having all this religious stuff shoved down their truth as the Gospel untobequestioned truth. He claims because children are brainwashed so young by people they love & trust, they blindly accept it & that many find it hard to shake their brainwashed beliefs later on in life. Were they to start exposing a child to this when they were older, say 10, & becoming more questioning & critical, he believes there wouldn't be so many believers today.

He believed in this notion called monoism as versus dualism which most if not all religious believers believe in, that is the belief that there are two separate parts to man, a body & soul. He believes neither can be separated, actually what many believe to be the soul is a process of the brain & that when we die & our brain ceases to function this dies too.

He believes Man has always needed to have Gods of some type be they the sun, even a rock & our latest God is no more plausible. Humanists believe people should take responsibility for themselves instead of always trying to conjure up the intervention of some invisible force & belittling & demeaning ourselves in the process.

It is astonishing that mans ability to accept something totally unvisible & unproven as fact & let it dominate our lives & societies to the determintal effect that it has, has gained such widespread acceptance.

In Politics the other day we were studying some guy called 'Locke' & our lecturer was going on about how he believed in rationality yet he was also a great believer in God. I pulled the lecturer up on this & asked him how he could reconcile the two. :E

But as they say those who control education control peoples minds!!!!

DeepC
26th Oct 2004, 13:01
Once again it seems that some people have difficulty between differentiating between religion and having a personal faith. Denigrating religion and blaming it for all the ills in the world is just as divisive and confrontational as Evangelic Christianity seems to most of you.

This thread saddens me as not long ago, in about April of this year, a thread appeared on JB which started out bashing religion but ended up as a reasonable debate and intelligent contributions were offered by both sides. This current thread is symptomatic of the 'Don't understand, won't understand, so I will bash it' type arguments that pervade the world at large and create situations like we currently have in the Middle East.

I wish I could link to the thread but I cannot find it. If anyone can link to it please do. It was called something like "Is all religion fairy tales?"

With regard to the bloke in the navy. I fervently disagree with his chosen religion but it is difficult to see why we should prohibit him from doing what he wants when so much else unethical and immoral is allowed.

Religion is a very contentitious subject but it doesn't need people blaming it for everything bad in the world. What it needs is a a bit more consideration for other peoples views.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit dry and preacher like.

DeepC

WE Branch Fanatic
26th Oct 2004, 13:01
Was once interviewing university student candidates for entry to the UAS. One pretty young girl was interviewed and did reasonably well.

Later..........
"Yes", she said. "I'm a witch. Does that matter?"

A perfectly legitimate faith, which contains some truth. and it is totally different to Satanism, which emphasises the individual a the expense of others....

nosefirsteverytime
26th Oct 2004, 13:07
Eck, since we're all putting our beleif systems down ,i might as well.......

I beleive life is a queue for a nightclub. Or a test. Or summink. You act decent to everyone else, you get it good in the afterlife. You care for just numero uno, ye don't. I think there is a Great Engineer in the sky, and he could have made us just puppets, but he didn't. C**py things happen to anyone, it stands for 'em in the end. You might be the wrong side at the end, but say you lose yer legs or something, the Big Examiner takes that into account.

On the satanist, I say off with him. His life, his choice. His understanding of Satan and mine are two different beleif systems, and so I keep my "fruitcake" comments to myself. Prolly makes me a crusty, but hey, I'm for a world with as few people p***ed off as possible.

Onan the Clumsy
26th Oct 2004, 13:40
It is astonishing that mans ability to accept something totally unvisible & unproven as fact & let it dominate our lives & societies Not really, in fact it makes perfect sense. If it's invisible and unproven, better still unprovable, then we can each make it out to be whatever we want it to be.

BlueDiamond
26th Oct 2004, 15:08
I fervently disagree with his chosen religion but it is difficult to see why we should prohibit him from doing what he wants when so much else unethical and immoral is allowed.

You appear to be referring to his beliefs as unethical and immoral. Then you go on to say;

What it (the world) needs is a a bit more consideration for other peoples views.

How do you reconcile these two apparently conflicting statements, DeepC. You seem to be advocating tolerance but pronouncing judgement at the same time.

His faith is probably just as important to him as yours is to you.

DeepC
26th Oct 2004, 16:58
BlueDiamond,

I agree, my post was clumsily worded. There is a difference between disagreement and intolerance. From my faith I see things I believe to be wrong. I don't very often go out of my way to stop people doing those things.

People can agree to disagree but pronouncing a judgement and then actively blaming it for the ills of the world is not simply disagreeing.

Be careful not to 'throw the baby out with the bath water'.

DeepC

BlueDiamond
27th Oct 2004, 01:40
I have never blamed religion for "the ills of the world," DeepC because there have been too many contributary causes to antagonism and disunity between peoples to point the finger at just one. What I have said is that religion's most notable feature is the ability to promote conflict and I stand by that statement. I would have to concede though that it is responsible for at least some of "the ills of the world," one has only to take a look at history to recognise that.

As you said, there is a difference between following a religion and having a personal faith. Sometimes that personal faith will lead one to become a card-carrying member of this established religion or that one, and sometimes that faith will induce a person to start a new religion. Very occasionally we find someone whose faith and beliefs are deeply private, who is content to commune with -- insert deity/prophet of choice -- and who will be reluctant to discuss this communion with others because of the deeply personal significance of its nature. This, to my mind, is how a person should practice their faith. Privately.