PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Wireless Networking

Another St Ivian
24th Oct 2004, 14:40
Does anyone know of a decent step by step guide to wireless networking (802.11g) in Windows XP? During the coming week I am installing a second PC in the house and plan on networking the two on an ad hoc/peer to peer basis. I'm after a guide to setting it all up and securing it, and setting up ICS so I can access the dial up connection on the current PC from the new one. The current PC runs XP Pro, the new one XP home.

Cheers,
ASI

Evo
25th Oct 2004, 06:19
Setup should be very easy - I don't know of a guide, but I wouldn't think you would need one. Just turn all security off while you set it up - little problems like misconfigured WEP preventing a connection is by far the most common problem I come across.

Once it's working, turn security features on one-by-one, so if it breaks, turn the feature back off again. A good guide for security is Essential Home Wireless Security Practices (http://arstechnica.com/paedia/w/wireless-security-howto/home-802.11b-1.html). However, all you really need for home use is WEP and disable SSID broadcast. As I've posted before, MAC-address ACLs are largely a waste of time, and the better-than-WEP security stuff (if supported) seems more hassle that it's really worth.

As for ICS, I think there's a Wizard to do that?

HTH

Another St Ivian
28th Oct 2004, 12:45
Sceptical as I was, Evo, you turned out to be right! After a little messing about with installing the required services and such like it started working like a dream.
After I got it initially setup I set about sorting out WEP encryption and generally securing it.
It was a bit of a pain with the WinXP built in stuff so I took to using the external wireless LAN utility that came with the card, it's all working as it should now.

Cheers,
ASI