PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install AVG

flynverted
24th Oct 2004, 13:50
I downloaded AVG antivirus and when I tried to install it I get a message saying:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
E: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
This system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications

I also got the same message a few weeks ago when trying to install my digital camera software. :mad: :*

Earlier tonight though, I succesfully installed Adaware and ZoneAlarm with no problems. :rolleyes:

I am almost out of beer and ready to give up for the night, I'll check back tomorrow for suggestions. :O

Thanks in advance
nverted

The Nr Fairy
24th Oct 2004, 16:51
Operating system and version ?

Version of AVG you're trying to install ?

Memetic
25th Oct 2004, 07:37
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

1st result from Google...

flynverted
26th Oct 2004, 08:48
NR
Using XP Pro and trying to install AVG 6.0. I had AVG installed on 2 other machines using XP Pro with no problems. :confused:

maflsc just had Norton installed, so I installed AdAware and Zone Alarm to show her the crap Norton was missing, so she uninstalled Norton, and now I can't get AVG to install, so we're without a antivirus at the moment. :*

nverted

Avtrician
26th Oct 2004, 12:23
Your Autoexec.nt file has been deleted by some nasty. Same thing happened to me last week.

Can be fixed by making a copy of autoexec.nt on another machine, and pasting it to the right spot, (in your case E: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32).

Everything should now work ok.:ok: :ok:

flynverted
26th Oct 2004, 14:17
Thanks Av. :ok:
I found AutoExec.nt in Windows/System/Repair and moved it to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and that solved the problem.
I owe ya a beer, mate. :cool:

Avtrician
27th Oct 2004, 10:11
Glad its fixed, payment accepted, just email me a six pack of coldies, or post them here and I will collect later.

:ok: :cool:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Oct 2004, 16:52
Just as a side note, Grisoft is stopping the Free AVG 6 by the end of the year:

Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available since 1999. Its structure does not allow for further improvements planned for version 7 nor improvements in detection techniques expected to come in the future.

End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this version will not protect against new virus outbreaks!

Current AVG 6.0 users should upgrade to AVG 7.0.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. From what I hear, there will be a Free Version 7 soon. ;)