PDA

View Full Version : 767 FD crew allow CVR to loop after landing single engine

dudduddud
24th Oct 2004, 13:03
Contrary to SOP, a 767 crew recently let the CVR loop after touchdown during an engine failure.

How hard is it to remove power to the CVR after such a touchdown as per instructions given to you by your employer?
report, around 2mb. (http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/pdf/200205780.pdf)

Daysleeper
24th Oct 2004, 13:46
Having trouble downloading the report there but I'll take a stab at it.

Unless you really know or are give written instructions as to which CB's to pull , you can end up doing more harm than good.
I refer you to the Atlantic Glider thread. In the report the A330 F/O pulled the CB marked CVR. Unfortunately it was the one for the protection circuit and not the power circuit. Thus the CVR which would have been preserved automatically was in the majority erased.

Edited to add, just got the report.
Nasty incident, but the report says they did de-power the CVR, just not quickly enough.

None
24th Oct 2004, 15:05
The physical task of locating and pulling the CB is simple. In fact, in the operation I work with it is done after every flight.

I do not know the situation of the 767 crew you refer to. However, after any incident there are many non-routine items that must be accomplished. There may also be (usually is) a company requirement for you to immediately accomlish a drug test. So, off you go to the clinic (after completing a ton of paperwork and phone calls), and perhaps you missed that one step of pulling the CB. Nevertheless, even if you did pull it, perhaps maintenance pushed it back in as part of their normal reposition of the jet procedures.

In any event, I understand information can still be obtained from the tape, even beyond its intended time period.

If you are suggesting the crew did not pull it intentionally (this would not be my guess), you (and they) would have to be unaware that there are other ways to get certain types of information.