PDA

View Full Version : Power-ON stalls & coordination

palgia
24th Oct 2004, 09:04
Hello everyone,

my question refers to power-on stalls in a small piston single like a C-172.

Why should the the inclinometer ball be set slightly right of center in order for the stall to break straight ahead with wings level? It's usually 1/2 ball-width to the right.
In many cases, if you try doing it with the ball centered, the stall breaks to the right.

I've heard/read several explanations, but none make too much sense to me.

One of them goes like this:
P-factor causes center of thrust to be offset to the right of the aircraft longitudinal axis. That force times the distance from the longitudinal axis creates a yawing moment to the left.
Applying right rudder moves the ball to the center but causes the aircraft to sideslip to the left (just like a twin with an inop left engine flown wings level, ball centered). The aircraft is therefore not flying straight through the air (sideslipping) and for this reason the stall breaks to the right.
Leaving the ball slightly right of center cancels out this effect.

The above explanation does not make sense to me for the following reasons:

1. The arm from the center of thrust and the aicraft longitudinal axis is so small that the resulting yawing moment, if any, is not even remotely comparable to the situation of a twin with an engine inop.

2. Even if we assume there is enough yawing and that the aircraft IS sideslipping to the left, it would be the LEFT wing to drop first, since it's the upwind wing that operates at a higher AOA in a slip (isn't that how the stabillizing dihedral effect works?)

3. If the aircraft is in fact sideslipping to the left as if it had asymmetrical thrust, ONLY A BANK towards the right can compensate for the sideslip and bring the aicraft to zero-sideslip. Reducing right rudder pressure would not eliminate the sideslip. The only thing it would do is move the ball to the right, thus giving the "illusion" of zero sideslip since in a zero sideslip situation where the aircraft is banked to the right, the ball would also swing to the right of center due to gravity. But these two are totally different effects that happen for different reasons.

Another explanation claims that the ball should be centered for a power-on stall, but because the left turning tendencies decrease after the stall, most people induce the left break on the stall because they continue to push the right rudder with excessive pressure after the stall. For this reason, they recommend entering the stall with the ball slightly to the right of center.

This explanation is more convincing, but I have experienced cases where the ball was centered, but the aircraft was breaking to the right even before, or just at the same instant, that the nose was dropping. If we look at the left turning tendencies, why should their intensity drop right AT the stall, before the nose has dropped any significant amount?

What about turning power-on stalls? It looks like leaving the ball slightly right of center is the best way to break the stall straight ahead.

Thanks for your replies.

palgia

DFC
25th Oct 2004, 09:51
What is the source of these "explanations" that you have used?

Regards,

DFC

palgia
26th Oct 2004, 06:34
DFC,

regarding the first explanation (aircraft sideslips w/ball centered...), I heard it from a fellow flight instructor who was trying to answer my question. I doubt he made it up himself, its probably circulating "out there" in the hanger-talk along with many other misconceptions and myths that are very common in the aviation world. (that's always IF this theory is wrong... I could always be wrong).

As far the second explanation (stalls break to the right because of too much right rudder) I found it here (http://www.mountainflying.com/stalls1.htm) .

To quote that website, the paragraph in question reads:
Thinking we have stalls figured out, we might stall the airplane with the power on, wings level and the ball centered. We might expect the airplane to fall through the horizon with the wings level. The fear of stalls may return when the airplane falls to the right side. What happened? One of the left-turning forces we compensate for during climbs is the corkscrewing effect of the propeller slipstream. When viewed from behind the airplane, this invisible force is creating a clockwise swirling mass of air that strikes the left side of the airplane and the vertical stabilizer. At the moment of the stall, the slipstream lifts away from the vertical stabilizer. This results in too much right rudder for the new condition of flight and the airplane falls to the right.

To be exact, it the part that reads At the moment of the stall, the slipstream lifts away from the vertical stabilizer. that I cannot fully understand.
I was under the impression that the spiralling slipstream was caused only by the engine's propwash, and that for a given airplane its intensity depended only on engine RPM and aircraft forward velocity (high RPM, more yawing moment - faster airspeed, less-tightly wound slipstream creating less yawing moment).

I don't understand how the stall (airflow separation over the wing) influences the amount of force the spiralling slipstream exerts on the left side of the vertical stabilizer.

Maybe somebody can illuminate me in this matter.

Any help is appreciated.

palgia