PDA

View Full Version : MEP before IR

thereceiver2004
24th Oct 2004, 06:48
Hi

I am just about to think about starting the ME/IR in December. I need an MEP and the average price for this in the UK is 1,800GBP.

I could go back to my favourite haunt in the USA and get the JAA MEP including flights,acommadtion,food etc etc for approx 1,400GBP

Plus points:

ability to finish the MEP in 5 days without weather problems
extra hours if required are at approx 90GBP

Negative points:

Not in UK
Extra hours if needed are 300 each
UK weather, past week could have done a few hours

I am a FI so i know the current weather is not ideal to fly VFR, IR training should not be a problem, i just do not want to get hampered.

any thoughts
Thankyou

Snakecharmer
24th Oct 2004, 15:39
Just a suggestion...

Do it at the same place you'll do the IR. Might cost a bit more, but would give you the opportunity to gain more experience of how they operate / SOPs etc; ie a head start. Assuming you go to one of the IR providers who do much of the Course on a simulator, it could also provide a sound lead-in, thus putting the simulator phase into some sort of context.

traumahawk71
24th Oct 2004, 17:17
I would suggest going back to your usual haunt of the USA to obtain your Multi engine rating. At the end of the day you'll have plenty of practice flying IR conditions in the sim and the real aircraft when you come back.

Like you said you will at least have the weather. It might even be worth paying the extra to get a few more hours of twin flying in.
I did my multi-engine about a year before starting the IR and had no problems in getting back into the swing.