PDA

View Full Version : Roger Bacon revealed

flowman
24th Oct 2004, 05:58
Roger Bacon (c.1214 - 1292)

Roger Bacon was among the most famous Franciscan friars from this time. He studied at Oxford, and later worked on optics and the refraction of light through lenses, leading to the development of spectacles. He had a reputation as unconventional, pursuing learning in alchemy and magic - interests which earned him the soubriquet 'Doctor Mirabilis'. He also developed the phrase " a little late on the round-out Hoskins" This led to his rejection from the Order and eventual imprisonment for "being suspected of novelties in his teaching". He died in Oxford not long after his release.

Roger Bacon was ahead of his time: he sought reform the calendar and, among many other projects, he discussed the possibility of early concepts of automobiles, aeroplanes and submarines. In 1266, many of these observations were published in his Opus Maius later to be referred to as "Yuckspeak, a series of millions", only recognised centuries later for its brilliance and astonishing modernity.

flowman, Pprune history correspondent

:8

Gainesy
24th Oct 2004, 06:09
...and whenever anybody called him (on average one a day) he had always: "Just popped out for a few minutes, can I take a message?"
:)

redsnail
24th Oct 2004, 16:22
Was his nickname "Porky pig"? :E

Noah Zark.
24th Oct 2004, 20:28
Doesn't he do the "Straight & Level" page in 'Flight'? :D

TimS
24th Oct 2004, 22:01
All I can say is that back in the early eighties when we were setting up Manx Airlines 'Uncle Roger' replied to our letter(s) and provided an excellent stream of caption competition photos for the in-flight magazine (Manx Tails) - good on him (or them for those in the know)

TimS:D

Nineiron
24th Oct 2004, 23:52
Was Gertrude Bacon a relative?

I have splendid old book by her, titled 'All About Flying' - published by Methuen in 1915. She also wrote 'The Record of an Aeronaut' and 'How Men Fly'

Her father, from Berkshire, was a military balloon designer. Roger perhaps?

XXTSGR
24th Oct 2004, 23:54
Any relation to the mediaeval monk, Friar Crispin Bacon? ;)

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2004, 08:56
"How Men Fly" by Gertrude Bacon. 1911. The first Britsh woman to fly, or was she the first one to get her licence?

Anyone like a copy? Last one I saw for sale was going for 350. Not bad for a book costing 1 shilling at the time. P.S. it's hidden under my mattress. :E

ORAC
25th Oct 2004, 09:07
Market seems to have taken a dive since then... Bow Windows (http://www.bowwindows.com/natural.htm)

14. BACON, Gertrude. How Men Fly. London: Cassell & Co 1911. [5679]

First edition, 8vo, (viii), 118 pp, frontispiece plus 8 plates showing 12 photographs, 6 diagrams in the text, original stiff card covers, a little soiled, corners and spine with some wear, fine illustration of the Author and the French aviator Roger Sommer in a biplane on upper cover. 250

In 1909 Bacon, with Roger Sommer piloting, became the first Englishwoman to fly and this book contains an account of that trip. The cover is said to be the first illustration of a woman in an aeroplane.

Roger Bacon`s 13th Century Prophecy (http://www.skygod.com/quotes/bacon.html ) :ooh: