PDA

View Full Version : KMAX for Australian Fireseason?

Alfa Hotel
23rd Oct 2004, 23:11
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know whether there will be any KMAX helicopters operating for this fireseason in Australia?
And if so where they (it) will be based?

Thanks,
AH:ok:

helo1
24th Oct 2004, 01:55
Alfa Hotel not to sure if the Kmaxs are coming out this year havent heard anything yet but will find out from RFS Aviation tomorrow and post the reply.
As for were they base them if they come out it will be at the Canberra Helicopters Hanger at Bankstown

SASless
24th Oct 2004, 03:29
Heard recently two or more were returned off lease to the factory....could be some free for use firefighting. Ex-Superior machines...very slow fire season in the USA this past summer.

Phoenix Rising
24th Oct 2004, 03:36
Superior are sending one Kmax for sure, with a second to be sent if needed. The Kmax will be based out of Kareelas hangar as their association with Canberra Helicopters has ceased to exist for some time.

:E

oxi
24th Oct 2004, 06:45
Anyone know who's is the 900 in kareela's top hanager???

And who's ship is in Sydney harbour with a 900 on it???

Phoenix Rising
24th Oct 2004, 07:11
Oxi - Its N900AF and its owned by Allen Foundation aka Vulcan Helicopters aka Paul Allen aka THE Paul Allen from Microsoft.

I would say the boat its on at the moment is Tatoosh, which used to be Craig McCaw's before he sold it to Paul Allen.

Just a little titbut of info, the reason Paul Allen calls his company Vulcan Helicopters and his parent company is Vulcan Northwest is because he has a very avid interest in Volcanos.

Auscan
27th Oct 2004, 17:14
Morning Fella's,
Is there any other spec machines rolling into town for the season. I remember last year there were 61's and Kmax's. I heard its pretty wet right now.
Cheers

Phoenix Rising
27th Oct 2004, 19:57
At this stage the only ones I know of that are for sure are the Kmax from Superior and the Aircrane from Erickson, one for VIC and one for NSW.

Columbia now have a Vertol based in New Zealand doing logging and external load work and its due to be on the kiwi register in a couple of weeks. Once that happens it is legal for it to carry people around so dont be surprised to see it over on the fires.