PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Wannabe

superlukeyboy
23rd Oct 2004, 17:24
Im 15 and i want to join the RAF as an pilot. What do you think is the best way for me to go around doing this? What are the best GCSEs and A Levels i should do? Should i do a university degree incase i dont get accepted? Anything i should be doing at the moment? Im really not to sure where to start so any help would be great
thanks

Dan 98
23rd Oct 2004, 21:00
Hi Superlukeyboy,
Well i remember having similar dreams to yours when I was 15! I'm now 30 and I didn't join the RAF due to bad exam results and not getting on at school. I'm now studying to be a commercial pilot before it's too late.
You want to get yourself up in a plane and make sure it isn't a romantic idea and that you enjoy flying, if you haven't done so already. In terms of G.C.S.E's you will need good grades in Maths, Physics etc.. Are you a member of the A.T.C Air training Corps ? If not join. A levels you will need ideally Physics or Maths again. My one bit of advice is dont piss about at school, knuckle down and get those exams results, it will open more doors for you if Aviation is your dream, hope you make it happen, all the best,

Dan.

The African Dude
23rd Oct 2004, 21:09
Luke,

You might get more detailed responses from the Military Aviation forum. But, to answer a couple of your questions;

Between 13 and 18 there should be a local Air Training Corps Squadron which you can join for some good ideas on what to expect from the RAF and vice-versa. You normally need to attend two evenings a week. As a rule of thumb, maths and physics will be required as A-Levels for selection to interview, amongst many other personal qualities. Additionally, up to 70% of new pilots now come from the UAS (University Air Squadron - free flying training from the RAF while you study a degree) so a university degree can actually HELP your application, as well as provide a backup.

The first thing to do is look in the phone book for your local RAF Careers Office and phone them for information.

Most importantly of all - be yourself and good luck :ok:

Andy

scroggs
23rd Oct 2004, 22:08
While you will need at least 2 A-levels, you don't need Maths and Physics at A-level. However, you will need Maths and English at grade C or above in GCSEs, among a total of at least 5 GCSEs at those grades. Increasingly, the RAF's officer corps is degree qualified, though it's not a requirement. For pilot, the subject of the degree is largely irrelevant.

You should join your local branch of the ATC if it is practical to do so. If not, get yourself involved in some other organised activities - sports, charities or whatever. The Dule of Edinburgh award scheme is an excellent way to broaden your horizons. Develop an interest in the world around you. Read newspapers, or watch news programs, and develop some opinions (preferably backed by facts rather than assumptions) about the major issues facing the RAF, the country and the world in general.

Go and visit your local Armed Forces Careers Office, and get as much information as you can from them. They may not be terribly clued up on pilot recruitment (it's a very small part of the Services' overall recruiting numbers), so don't be surprised if they need time to get the info you need.

Visit the RAF's careers website (see here (http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_files/jobfile_pilot.cfm) ) for more information.

Scroggs (I did 22 years as an RAF pilot!)