PDA

View Full Version : Problem

captain111
23rd Oct 2004, 15:09
Dear all,

I am in a bit of a problem. In fact I'm in a serious problem and was wondering if anyone could help me or give me some words of wisdom.

I have just started at Oxford University reading Music. Even though I am pretty good at Music my first love has always been flying and I have always had a burning ambition to become a pilot.

I'm sure you are wondering why therefore I am reading a music degree (you wouldn't be the first). Essentially I always had a dream to study at Oxford and the only way this could be achieved was through studying Music. Although I studied both Physics and Economics to A-level I was never going to be clever enough to study either at Oxford and so Music was the obvious choice. The problem is that I am finding both the course extremely tedious and completely off the point as to what I want to eventually do.

Clearly the obvious answer to the problem would be to leave but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be so simple.

Firstly, if I were to leave would I regret giving up what could in so many respects be a great experience? Although at the moment I would love to leave I am worried that emotion is clouding my thoughts and a few months down the line I might realise that I made a serious misjudgement.
Secondly, it is quite clear that at the moment the job market is not looking great and therefore would having a degree be a good backup tool?

On a slightly different point, I have been thinking about changing courses. Does anybody have any experience of the Air Transport Operations course at City University? Does it really affect your chances of employment and would it be a worthwhile degree to have if for whatever reason a career as a pilot was not possible?

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

A very worried and confused wannabe :uhoh:

B727-200
23rd Oct 2004, 16:42
Captain 111,

Please check your PM's.

I have faced a similar dilemma in the past but would advise you to consider seriously before leaving your degree at oxford.

You will be neither too old, nor in a worse position following your university degree.

Anyway, check your PM's.

Regards,

B727 - 200

Pilot Pete
23rd Oct 2004, 18:03
Completely agree. Unless you really just cannot face the course any more and you are therefore likely to get a less than average mark I would advise you to stick at it. Time (by way of age) is on your side, there is no rush to get a licence and join the throng of those trying to get a job. The market is still difficult but improving and I don't see how a few more years will cause any problems for you.

What you may want to consider is the effect of not completing your course. What will an employer think of non-completion? It may not be something that you had considered, but they are (possibly) going to put you on a type rating course (hopefully at their expense), which is no walk in the park and their concern will be one of perceived risk. Will it label you as someone who gives up at things? It is by no means an insurmountable problem and certainly not the only reason why you should continue with a course, but it is something else I think you may like to consider in reaching a decision.

I know someone in a very similar position who felt he had to keep justifying his decision to drop out of his uni course (not music) and it obviously worried him a great deal that it was a potential black mark in the eyes of airline recruiters.

Having a degree to fall back on would be very useful and the possibility to do private tuition once flying for an airline could prove a useful sideline!

I wish you well with your choices.

PP

easyflyer
25th Oct 2004, 09:02
My advice... stay. And to satiate the flying side, join the UAS/Oxford Uni Gliding Club/take private lessons/hire out at Kidlington.

I advise this from my own experience; have an Oxford Geography degree, and had an absolute ball for my three years.... followed the PPL thing in my vacation, and in fact found a new love of sailing and spent three years as Seaman Officer with the Navy. At the end, got my 2.1, and could have done almost anything, anywhere of my choosing (except being a Doctor or Engineer....but I could have remained to study one of those if I had pushed for it!). The choices an Oxford degree, of almost any discipline, give you are amazing. Don't waste the chance. I'm now an M&A Banker. I don't see why you can't have amazing experiences, meet a whole world of new people, have an absolute whizzy time, yet end up with the "airline pilot" in the career entry.....

If you dislike music so much, have you tried changing? Many friends of mine did. However, I take it that you've only been up for barely a month. Perhaps you need to give it at least until the end of Hilary so you can justify to yourself you gave it a proper run for your money.

Additionally, I agree with what has been mentioned by both 727 and PP.....

Feel free to send me a private msg if you so wish.

Overtorque
26th Oct 2004, 09:23
Several years ago I read Music at Uni, and found the course, and the people to be tedious in the extreme. However, I stuck the course out - joined the UAS for light relief, and I've now been a pilot in the RAF for 13 years!

Glad I stuck the course out - If you're at Oxford, I'd stick with it - it will be useful to have in your back pocket if things don't work out in aviation. When you've finished your degree, see if you feel the same way about aviation and make a decision from there.

Good luck!

Matron
26th Oct 2004, 20:47
I expect that your current studies will be good preparation for your instrument rating.

r44flyer
27th Oct 2004, 00:30
goddamn it overtorque... are you on a 16 year commission? that'll be more competition in the civil market when i get out of uni then, doh! :rolleyes:

just kiddin mate ;) :)

anyway, my advice is to stick at it! you WILL regret giving it up. the situation for pilot employment will not be any worse in 3 years time than it is now, fingers crossed it will be a bit better.

plus u can tinkle the ivories at pprune bashes :ok:

LVL CHG
27th Oct 2004, 02:49
My advice: stay at Oxford, join the glider club and get your ratings on the side if possible (maybe work during the summer or save-up the cash by working a part-time job). Leaving Oxford would be a BIG MISTAKE in my opinion.

Do your flying on the side - you can always take it up more seriously later (but with the Oxford degree in hand).... Finish your degree at Oxford first and fly more later.

Which College are you in?

captain111
28th Oct 2004, 13:13
Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to post such valuable and inspiring comments - it has been much appreciated.
Life here has been rather hectic to say the least so my apologies for not replying sooner.
Morale level is considerably higher now both due to the sound advice given on these pages and due to the fact that I am settling well into the course even if it is a little tedious! I have succsessfully survived three of Oxford's infamous tutorials relatively unscathed so feel a little more relaxed!
On the flying side, I am now a member of the uni gliding club so shall be heading out to Bicester airfield every Saturday for (weather permitting ;) ) some great flying.
Will keep you all posted as to how things progress.

Many thanks,
Captain111