PDA

View Full Version : Winzip and Java

My names Turkish
23rd Oct 2004, 12:50
http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

I am trying to download and install this program on my computer. Its running fine when I use it off the website, but when I downloaded the software it wont run. When I open it in Winzip all the files have that little icon which you get when the computer doesn't have the software to open that type of file(unknown extension).

I have installed a little bit of software from Sun Micro Systems called a Java Console, that by some sort of Black Magic allows Java programs to Run.

Winzip is directing me to www.downloads.com or www.tucows.com seemingly to get a bit of software to add into Winzip to let this Program I want to download work. I can't figure what one I need or if this will fix it.

As you may have noticed from my knowledge of terminology, I am not a computer person so you'll have to be patient with me!

amanoffewwords
23rd Oct 2004, 13:03
The .zip extracts to a java applet (aka a program) that can only run in a java-enabled browser such as I.E 6.0 - you need to double-click on index.html to launch the program - as long as your browser is java-enabled there shouldn't be any other requirement.

The .class files contain the program code and can only be viewed if you a java IDE (Integrated Development Environment) program that allows you to write and compile Java programs - only needed if you wish to modify the program. If you do need one it can downloaded for free from the Borland site.

hth
Charles

My names Turkish
23rd Oct 2004, 13:32
I have double clicked and the program opens as per the Internet version but where the picture of the Aircraft and the Vors etc should be is blank. It has a Red 'X' in the top corner of the screen.

I do understand that I dont need the other Items on the list.

It is opening in I.E although I am not sure which version it is. I am running Win Xp with all the Updates.(Only knew to do that cause PPRuNe Towers said so)

amanoffewwords
24th Oct 2004, 16:01
In IE goto help and then about explorer - it will tell you there what version you have.

Charles