PDA

View Full Version : "Border Security" TV program

BabyMetroBoy
23rd Oct 2004, 05:22
Ok, so the second episode of the new Australian version of the UK TV program "Airport" has aired. So what do we think about this latest piece of television "drama"?

My views, are that although I miss the antics of the gay ground staff guy (not that there is anything wrong with that) who looked after all the Aeroflot flights in and out of London.

I am thrilled not to have seen anyone who is travelling overseas forget to bring their passport with them (are we just a smarter bunch of people?).

Then there's the legendary fail to boards where it's a neck and neck race to find the passenger or the bag. ... And will Barbara the Dispatch Officer be able to get her flight away on time and use her slot? Riveting stuff.

But seriously, so far this show has shown one guy who has been busted with cocaine smuggling, 2 Japanese wildlife smugglers, and an Afro-British woman who has a dodgy visa.

So what do you think about this show? Has anyone been involved in the making of it? What do you think they should have on it next week?

Happy Flying/Filming.

No2FollowtheCessna
23rd Oct 2004, 05:33
Yes it's a fantastic show, I agree. But can some one tell Grant Bowler (the guy from The Mole) to lighten up, maybe even smile. This guy is so serious he's stupid.

I heard from a friend of mine who knows someone who knows someone important, that they weren't allowed to film any International Cabin Crew members bringing back their unused cans of spam as this did not appear professional or representative of what crew were bringing back into Australia.

But I would like to see the pissed off passengers when they are told that their flight is delayed. I guess they can't show that either as all our flights leave on time... :hmm:

KLN94
23rd Oct 2004, 07:44
What channel and what day/time is this prgram on?

blueloo
23rd Oct 2004, 07:54
Whilst an interesting program, it shows some rather thick moronic behaviour from customs(and Q) officers - these clips have obviously been edited to get the most dramatic bits for broadcast - what they dont show is the everyday treament of pax and crew - which is essentially the same. You are generally treated like a criminal until proven innocent. Not a terribly warm welcome as you enter Australia.

Reading the review it took 2 years before it was aired - its a pity they had to do the show in the "in your face" American Cops style documentary.

Now some disclaimers before getting flamed.

Not all customs and Quarantine officers are as bad as the numbnuts on TV. Occasionally some are very pleasant.

I dont disagree with Quarantines job of protecting our shores from foreign bugs etc.

What I disagree with is the manner in which they do it.

BabyMetroBoy
27th Oct 2004, 01:51
It's on Wednesdays, 9.30pm on Channel 7, duration 30min.
This is followed by "Air Crash Investigation" also on Channel 7.

Hempy
27th Oct 2004, 04:43
Soon to be followed by the new smash hits "Who wants to be a Suicide Bomber?" and "I'm a celebrity immigrant, get me outa here"...... quality TV :yuk: :hmm:

SkySista
27th Oct 2004, 16:37
Granted, Border Security may be a bit silly at times, but Air Crash Investigation you have to admit is pretty good for a commercial TV program (a lot better than some of the crap that gets puton) at least they have bothered to consult experts....

I thought it was funny that the Customs guy said "up his ar#e" and they left it in...priceless...! well I suppose at least he was being honest! :)

Swissair 111 on again next week (already aired last year as "Mayday"....)

Sky

Edit: ahem :p No pun intended in that first sentence, by the way... though now I read it, it is kind of funny....

pullock
28th Oct 2004, 03:15
I can't work out whether this show is an attempt at showing us what a great job the federal government is doing by protecting us from the horors of the outside world by being nasty to people at our borders, or whether they are taking the p iss out of the quarantine/immigration nazis by showing them in a bad light.

scran
28th Oct 2004, 03:22
Oh, come on.............................

Last episode was good...the Customs ship seizing that ONE foreign fishing vessel.

Wonder if they will do a postscript about the 7 the patrol boats (ok...I'll admit, there were TWO patrol boats :uhoh: ) have seized in the last few days..........................

Or the boat seized by the Army landing craft........................:ok: :ok: :ok: