PDA

View Full Version : Skywest silence the doubters???

topend3
23rd Oct 2004, 03:27
Media Release 2004-10-21

Media Release
21 October 2004

SKYWEST’S GROWTH TAKES OFF

Skywest believes Western Australia is on the verge of a substantial regional tourism boom following the release today of figures which show Skywest passenger numbers have increased by 65% over the past 12 months, reflecting the airlines growth with the introduction of jet services.

Releasing the airlines passenger numbers today at a function in Esperance, Skywest Managing Director Scott Henderson said that regional air traffic is booming, signalling a future growth surge in regional tourism throughout Western Australia.

Mr Henderson said the average number of passengers had increased by 65% a week during September 2004 compared to the same period in 2003.

Average 28 day forward bookings, a key indicator of future performance, for September 2004 was 16,423 compared to 9829 during the same period in 2003. Bookings in September 2004, reached as high as 17,583. The sharp increase in bookings was attributed to an emphasis on building the airline’s jet routes to WA destinations and the lowering of average fares across the network.

“Strong operating performance over the past twelve months has enabled us to invest in the expansion of both the Fokker 50 turboprop and Fokker 100 jet services,” Mr Henderson said.

“The result has been an additional five new routes with the majority of passenger increases being seen in flights to the North-West and the Goldfields. We believe both these areas are well placed to capitalise on the record traffic created by booming resources and tourism sectors.”

Mr Henderson said Skywest’s plans to list on the Australian Stock Exchange would greatly assist the company pursue new growth opportunities and provide new access to capital not previously available to the company.

New growth opportunities have been underpinned by increased airport traffic in the North-West creating an opportunity for Skywest to compete for valuable market share. Port Hedland and Karratha have seen a substantial growth in traffic with passenger numbers consistently exceeding forecasts week after week.

Average weekly traffic for Port Hedland and Karratha for September was 321 and 411 respectively, both destinations up from 220 and 308 (+46% and +33%) at the end of June 2004.

Kalgoorlie traffic has grown by 57% between September 2003 and September 2004.

Weekly Broome figures are also booming at a September average of 824, up from a 471 weekly average (+75%) during the 2003/4 financial year.

Other routes introduced by the airline have managed to attract niche tourism nodes such as its Island Bound service from the Pilbara to Bali, generating maximum potential for the first time.

Scott Henderson said the figures only reinforced the opportunity that local tourism has to encourage Western Australians and visitors to explore the state and help build tourism across all regions.

“It is important that Western Australia has a dedicated regional airline that links this state to international markets and provides global reach to international tourists”, he said.

Skywest’s commitment to WA tourism was further highlighted earlier this week, at its inaugural Skywest Showcase, held at the Perth Convention Exhibition Centre.

“This gathering gave 150 travel agents the opportunity to experience a showcase of the best that WA tourism operators have to offer. Skywest was proud to facilitate such an event that contributes tremendously to further tourism growth,” Mr Henderson said.

Mr Henderson went on to say that the airline’s business strategy, to embrace and stimulate tourism development, would transcend numerous benefits to the wider communities of regional Western Australia.

This strategy reinforces Tourism Minister, Hon Bob Kucera’s media statement released yesterday, where he said that “…continued commitment to building regional communities, creates jobs and business opportunities through a vibrant tourism industry".

Icarus2001
23rd Oct 2004, 09:01
Glad to hear they are doing well. Those state government restrictions on any competitors trade must really help!

Let's see how well they do when Virgin Blue become the competition. B737NG vs F50 hmmmmmm.

3 Holer
23rd Oct 2004, 10:41
Onya Skywest !

They should be getting State Government assistance - just like Virgin Blue does in Queensland. :ok:

Bring 'em on Icarus !

topend3
23rd Oct 2004, 13:10
Let's see how well they do when Virgin Blue become the competition. B737NG vs F50 hmmmmmm.

Icarus, I can't see DJ running NG's into Albany, Esperance or Geraldton against F50's, can you? proves how much in touch you are. certainly they will have an effect on markets such as broome, and karratha and kalgoorlie when they enter, but I think you may find XR will hold their own on these routes, I know that Broome loads are still quite good at the moment even after the entry of DJ onto this route.

Turboprop routes apparently are up for competitive tender process in December, so will be interesting to see how that all pans out. I think you will find Skywest in some form or other though will be here for a while.

The Voice
23rd Oct 2004, 22:50
Not forgetting of course they operate F100's PH-BM-DN return ...
and at least from my perspective are competitive price wise from here to there even if it is via BM! Beats walking ..

notwithstanding the fact that QF are already offering jet services on some of the other already mentioned routes as well .. then they're doing OK .. perhaps it will be the other players that will notice a downturn?

alidad
24th Oct 2004, 01:23
Note how the cleverly crafted news release carefully avoids using the term "load factors" which would give a true indication of what is going down.

rescue 1
24th Oct 2004, 05:59
Agreed. Skywest should get support in its home state just like VB in QLD, though it would be interesting to compare the levels of support. Oh thats right we can never know VB's something about a secrecy agreement...is that the same with Skywest?

spinout
24th Oct 2004, 07:17
I understand that Eastern may open a base in WA after they merge with Sunstate early next year with Dash 8 400’s…..:cool:

Icarus2001
24th Oct 2004, 10:19
topend3 AGREED that Albany, Esperance & Geraldton are sure to be free of Big Red for the next half a century;) However I meant in broader terms. As you would know airlines can & do cross subsidise routes, this would be made more interesting with Virgin perhaps going in a little harder on the WA routes. It seems at present they are dipping a toe in the water as it were, but I think they will definately have a stronger presence here in the next 18 months. I happen to think Skywest has a rosey future too if they can overcome the present ownership wrangles and shift their operation up a notch. There were some horror stories doing the rounds when they introduced the F100 but then WS departed and maybe things will become more "business like".

:ok:

Capn Bloggs
24th Oct 2004, 13:02
Spinout,

You spin me out. Just what the rigpigs want: 40deg turbulence in a straight-winged boat doing 350kts at 25 grand amoung the thunderies. NOT! Guaranteed chunder bags at two rows!

Airspeed Ambassador
24th Oct 2004, 22:00
40deg turbulence in a straight-winged boat doing 350kts at 25 grand amoung the thunderies.

Bloggs, is 360kt at 27 grand in the 146 much better?!! When are you going to get a real jet?:p

AA

Capn Bloggs
26th Oct 2004, 12:43
Sooner rather than later, AA. Then the fat lady's gunna sing! It'll be "Has anyone seen my Fokker??", alright!

D'pirate
26th Oct 2004, 13:02
Cap'n, hope your right for all those poor souls thrashing through the mid level troughs in a"Fruit Bat" at .62 :p ,however, there is a huge backlog on the recycled southamericun cokacan that can fly at .82 (when servicable) and several major European operators are returning to the F100 as a more economical and reliable alternative, especially with support issues sorted by Fokker services, RR, and others. The demo on the cokacan did not impress me at all BUT it would be better than any "-" :cool:

flyingfox
28th Oct 2004, 05:19
Dat poor D'Pirate man; him lookin' up d'wrong coconut tree! !:sad:

Capn Bloggs
28th Oct 2004, 11:37
D'Pirate,

I wasn't thinking of Jungle Jets, I had something Bigger in mind! ;)

D'pirate
29th Oct 2004, 00:06
Capt'n - guess I was up de wrong tree after all ;)
Should have been fishin off Long Beach !

:cool: