PDA

View Full Version : Investing cash

redfred
22nd Oct 2004, 18:45
Anybody got any idea wheres best to invest a some of cash about 10k, have looked into and done the long term 5 year plan with building societys and no great return, stocks and shares dont know enough about them.

So if anybody out there has done something similar with great/mediocre or crap results can you enlighten me

cheers

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 19:27
10k is a lot of money. And then again it's not that much. What I would suggest is that you find another half dozen people in a similar situation to yourself and put it all in a holding company. Then invest the lot for a half-share in Airship Industries. You could do a lot worse...:O

Don't believe me then. Blow the lot on EuroMillions...

maggioneato
22nd Oct 2004, 19:31
The interest rate is so low, I have given up trying to invest, and gone for an upgrade in an aircraft, working on the basis I might as well enjoy that while I can, that is, if only it would stop raining. :(

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 19:35
Get an airplane with a canopy!

Val d'Isere
22nd Oct 2004, 19:42
Easyjet shares 24 hours ago.

Sell now.

Ooops! Too late! :*

Alternatively, National Savings tax free something-or-other. ;)

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 19:46
Sew it into yer mattress,and don't trust any fecker wearing a suit or sitting behind a desk.
:rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
22nd Oct 2004, 19:58
I have a friend who is a relative of a friend in Nigerium who is trying to get his bullion out of a respected Dutch security firm for a small fee. Endless terms and conditions apply.

Just never buy an airline.

None of the above
22nd Oct 2004, 20:07
Bradford & Bingley are offering 5.5% Gross on an Internet account. Click here for info: www.marketplace.co.uk
I shall be opening an account next week when I have some cash in place in the 'feeder account'.

These sites have a wealth of information.....

www.moneyextra.co.uk
www.moneyfacts.co.uk
www.moneynet.co.uk
www.moneysupermarket.com

N o t a

(Worried about his pension)

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 20:20
Taking a long term view of the UK property market, it is worth noting that southern England is falling at the rate of 1m per century and that Scotland is rising by about the same. That combined with Global warming may mean a premature water-cooling of the market in the south together with a corresponding rise in the north. Airship will be awarded the Nobel prize for economics posthumously in 2204.:rolleyes:

Parapunter
22nd Oct 2004, 22:08
Airship, do you wanna go halfsies on an abseiling business in John O' Groats?:cool:

newarksmells
22nd Oct 2004, 22:27
In about 10 years, anything related to computers will either have a Microsoft or an IBM sticker on it. These companies have extra-deep pockets and if they can't beat their rivals with technology, they'll buy their rivals!! Put 5K into each company and watch your money double or triple within 10 years.

Newarksmells

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 23:31
Shruberies!!, get into shrubberies,shrubberies are going to be the next big thing, this time next year all the terrestrial TV channels will devote at least five hours per day to programs on the shrubbery.

Ozzy
22nd Oct 2004, 23:36
**** shrubberies. Tulip bulbs. Tulip bulbs from Amsterdam, corner the fecking market. Seriously, find an index fund and shove the cash in there, it'll do yer fine over the long term.

Ozzy

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 23:43
Not such a silly idea Mr Ozzy, Holland had a entire economy based on the Tulip bulb at one time,prize bulbs changed hands at kings ransom prices, one could make a fortune in stud fees if one had a good tulip bulb.
:rolleyes:
See below if yers don't believe me.

The warning about "Dutch disease" is a reference to an economic calamity that occurred in 17th-century Holland because of a European craze for tulips. The event has become a basic economic lesson taught to schoolchildren throughout the West.

After tulips were introduced into Europe from Turkey in the mid-1500s, the vividly colored flowers quickly became a popular commodity.

As with international energy markets last year, the demand for different varieties of tulips during the 1600s exceeded the supply -- and prices for rare types of tulip bulbs rose to unwarranted heights in Northern Europe.

By 1610, a single bulb of a new tulip variety was acceptable as dowry for a bride, and one profitable brewery in France was exchanged for a single bulb of a variety called Tulip Brasserie.

The steadily rising prices of tulip bulbs tempted many in Holland to speculate in the market -- at the cost of developing other sectors of the economy.

Homes, estates, and industries were mortgaged so that bulbs could be bought for resale at higher prices. But the tulip market crashed early in 1637 when doubts arose about whether prices would continue to rise.

Almost overnight, the price structure for tulips collapsed. Fortunes were swept away and Holland was left in financial ruin because its economy was too dependent on high tulip prices.

Praise be to google. :rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
23rd Oct 2004, 03:26
Buy shares in Clusty. It will take over from Google in less than 2 years and you cansee what the google shares are going now.

Other than that you can send it to me and I'll invest it for you. I can guaranttee that I will look after your money very well. Trust me. :)

Thirty06
23rd Oct 2004, 12:02
But seriously...

Do you have any outstanding debts ? If you're paying interest you can make an immediate gain at higher than benk rate by paying these off.

Do you have six months wages stashed ? If you can't work for any reason you need about this amount of cushioning in today's economy.

10K is, in my opinion, not enough for share dealing, unless you have aprticular company in mind and have researched it well.

Ten years is a medium term investment.

At the moment we have an inflation rate that is less than the returns you are being offered, this seems likely to continue so it's not as bad as all that.

Consider unit trusts. These are many and varied and can be ISA wrapped to annoy the chancellor.

Don't dump invest. Drip the money in for a couple of years, unless you are likely to spend it.

Have a look at the Motley Fool, www.fool.co.uk. Advice aplenty (some of it contradictory) without the high pressure sales.