PDA

View Full Version : The reality of a job?

One of these days
22nd Oct 2004, 14:27
Hi all,
just about to embark on my flight training. I spoke to Bristows a while ago and asked what was required for employment. I was informed a CPL(H) and Class 1 med, I enquired about minimum hours and IR etc and this seemed not to be a problem as lng as I had the CPL+med. Could anyone tell me the reality of getting a 'first job' offshore? i.e. Is the answer I received true.

Thanks

Pull2theDroop
22nd Oct 2004, 16:29
What you have said is correct as far as minimum requirements go, even better if you have IR which there are some people who will pay out of there own pocket, so they would have the advantage.The real question is there going to be any new jobs ?With the arrival of Bond, everybody is now waiting to see whats going to happen. It can go either way, loss of jobs or maybe a little recruitment nobody knows.
Best of luck

Bravo 99 (AJB)
23rd Oct 2004, 08:06
As one of those that paid for my IR the following bits of information/advice may be of some help

1) pick a school that you can go all the way through your training and get your F.I rating you may just have a chance of a job at the end of it but dont expect it.
2) you will need to get your IR if you are to be of interest to the Offshore people they dont pay for them anymore.
3) be prepared to wait a long time to get the job.
4) be prepared to travel anywhere in the county or the globe if necessary to get work
5) when you get the job of you dreams be prepared to have it taken away from you when not expecting it, at the drop of a hat or a change in policy (speaking from experiance)
6) be prepared to be skint for some time.
7) dont expect everybody to tell you how it is expect bull **** becouse there is a lot of it out there.
8) dont give up what ever happens, take the up, and the downs but if you really want to be a helicopter pilot like i do dont give up.

there are not a lot of jobs out there at the moment even though people will tell you different they are just not there. unless of course you have 3000 hours+ but to get the job, you need the hours to get the hours you need a job so read into that what you will.
You will need a flight instructor rating to at least get something of a chance to get a job.

Sorry this may seem hard this is from bitter experiance

PM me if you need more information i would be happy to chat to you

Best of luck

Sincerely
Bravo 99 (AJB)

Pull2theDroop
23rd Oct 2004, 08:52
I agree with Bravo 99 and the only thing i would add is, if you do your IR then try and do it with Bristows at Norwich on the jetranger as there training is the best plus you will be observed by a Bristow training captain who can then maybe give you a referal ! but its around £25K.
The best value for money training is to get your Instructor rating around £14K + the necessary flying hours of 300 in total on a helo type x by the hourly rate around £200 per hour then you can build experience and earn money as well while your waiting, for your first commercial job,but as you know you still need your CPL before you start your FI course .
If you did all this training i.e. CPL, IR, FI, " helo types R22 & B206 + necessary hours building.Then it will cost you in the region of £120K including living costs. And i know people who have spent this and its taken them over 5 years to get there first job.
Personally if you wanted to fly a heli for a living then i would not target the North sea opperators, i would target a small GA opperator who will give you something back for your investment i.e you spend the money with them and they give you an instructor job, part time or full time.If the North sea opperators get desperate then they look at direct entry pilots with hours and experience first...... I know as that what happend to me.
Hope this helps

Bravo 99 (AJB)
23rd Oct 2004, 10:48
Pull2thedroop

i sent you a pm

give me a call it would be good to chat

B99

One of these days
23rd Oct 2004, 11:15
Thanks guys.

I've been looking into this for a while now and it has always come across as the 'nightmare' industry to break into, which can be disheartening, especially if you haven't got 120K behind you. However, I do feel I have saved too much and dreamt too much to not even give it a chance. At the moment I have my PPL(H) booked with HAI in Florida, and my CPL(H)+FI booked next year with the same. The reason is the price and the realiability of the climate. I know this isn't exactly good networking, but because HAI have good Bristow contacts I thought there maybe some networking available there, and on investigation they have been mentioned several times as a good company to train with...Am I just being naive?

Thanks for all your time on this.

Thomas coupling
23rd Oct 2004, 11:39
I dont know about the £120k you mentioned. Seems an awful lot for expenses to me?

I dont know if you've been 'swayed' by watching your colleagues in the military flying (which is a different ballgame), but outside, it's much much more boring and colder!!!
The really juicy jobs are there - but finding an empty slot requires some very skilful networking and an element of luck.
Why do you want to fly helos? If it is to simply enjoy the experience, then get your minimums and make it your hobby, not your main job. [You could do an awful lot of GA flying with the money you've got saved up].
If you think it'll serve you well in making a living as well - forget it. If you've the time and money, go to uni, become a lawyer! become a plumber! Keep flying on the side.

I was thinking about this the other day, re my son looking to the future. I would definitely recommend him flying for the mil, 100% because the flying is challenging and the life style exhilarating. But I could never recommend making helo flying his main job: Lousy work, low pay, lousy hours, unreliable employers etc etc....
[Generally speaking ].

How old r u? Married?

Wee Man
23rd Oct 2004, 11:41
Good luck with what you are doing man. Im in the middle of it at the mo. FI is the way to start when you get your ppl without a doubt. The only thing is if you are going to HA in florida make sure you can be taken straight in2 an instructors rating course in the uk. Alot of companies make you do a test before they will take you on which is awkward. I know cause a friend of mine took that route. Best of luck!!

Bravo 99 (AJB)
23rd Oct 2004, 14:32
One of these days if your are going to HAI see if you can get employed over there

there are a lot more employers over there and a better chance of possably getting a job which ever way it is going to be hard work TC is right the mill option is the best way but that in your shoes is not to be (i presume) HAI are good they may be able to help with placing it is worth a shot
Again best of luck

Sincerely
Bravo 99

Floats Armed
23rd Oct 2004, 15:56
Mate,
The Birit market looks fairly well constipated to me!! Look further afield with both your training and your job prospects.
1. Get Your training way cheaper overseas Canada, Oz and US.
2. Cast your net further a field than the North Sea. Try Africa in a few months, Canada and when you have a 1000 hrs in the log book Oz.
Global Market, Global thinking. How commited are you?
Blue Skies
Floats ..............Armed

Pull2theDroop
24th Oct 2004, 11:50
Bravo 99 i didnt get your pm, so i have sent a pm to you with my details on .

One of these days
28th Oct 2004, 00:32
Once again thanks to you all.

In answer to your questions:

I'm not married, ut I do have a partner who is aware of the difficulties involved (as best as she can be from myself-who doesn't really know too much). Luckily for me she is a reasonable earner and can hold the house and bills over the next few years. No kids...just a Labrador!

I'm 33 years old.

I have thought about nothing else for the lst 3+ years. I am very committed, or at least I like to think so. I've done the second job thing for most of those 3 years and hated every minute but just kept the flying in mind. Above all else I have to try this, I may complete my PPL(H) course and change my mind, but I severly doubt it.

As much as I do enjoy watching the military Helo's, I'm aware that the civillian counter-part is mundane by comparison. But believe me I'm groundcrew at the minute and that can be tedious. I'm old enough to realise that every career, no matter how exciting it starts out, eventually becomes a job. It took 11 years for me to get hacked off with this one, so I guess if it takes another 11 years well that's 11 years closer to retirement, or plumbing!

Well onwards and upwards, and thank you all for your candour and help with my thread.

Steven

paco
28th Oct 2004, 05:06
Why not get a Class 1 medical, then do a PPL? That will at least keep you occupied and the hours count. Also, if you are lucky enough to find someone with a helicopter and some positioning (yeah, right), you can at least get the odd hour.

Also, if you've got a lot of money kicking around, a more creative solution is to buy your own machine and fly your tail off, because you will be unemployable without hours anyway. $60,000 Can will more or less buy an old Scwheitzer (that's around 30K pounds), and you won't get bored flying around Canada. It won't lose that much value if you maintain it properly. Immigration would be easier, too, since you won;t be working, and you can visit propective employers.

Phil

One of these days
28th Oct 2004, 09:15
Hi Paco,

I actually start my PPL(H) November 8th at HAI. I don't really have too much cash to purchase as well as do the flight school thing. I've also booked on to a commercial course at HAI.

Thanks,

Steven
:ok:

Hello Paco...again,

I forgot to mention I have already got my Class 1.

Cheers