PDA

View Full Version : Certain Music for Certain occasions

yintsinmerite
22nd Oct 2004, 14:12
There are certain pieces/styles of music that I nearly always listen to as preparation for certain activities. Typically these are

Going to play a squash or to the gym - Something noisy by the Stranglers

Going to a sales meeting - Something classical involving cellos

Going flying - Mendleson's Symphony No 3 (Fingles Cave)

Preparing to cook - Echo's by Pink Floyd usually followed by James Brown

I dont know why I have aquired habits like these, but I am told that it is not unusual.

Does anyone else have strange musical compulsions like these ?

(oh I could add as preparation for overdosing, anything by UB40, although I ain't tried it yet)

Loki
22nd Oct 2004, 19:54
Bloke goes to the doctors and says, "Doctor, I can`t stop singing The Green Green Grass of Home"

The doctor replies "I think you`re suffering from Tom Jones syndrome"

To which his patient asks " Is that rare?"

The doctor answers " It`s not unusual............"

I`ll get me coat

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 20:24
One shares yintsinmerite's sentiments generally. However one notes the complete absence of music during the actual activities themselves...?! :confused:

I have to admit that should I ever win the EuroMillions, one's passage out of the door at work for the last time, would be accompanied by Burning Bridges (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=070394301070006900&cid=600111). As in the film Kelly's Heroes, I disappear into the setting sun with all my gold...:)

I'll be drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know... And if someone asks me what I got under the hood of my GT40, [chuckles] I only ride em, I don't know what makes 'em work. ;) WAKE UP AIRSHIP!!! :{

VFE
22nd Oct 2004, 21:16
Getting angry: The Stranglers (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=033232401060006900&cid=600111)

Getting drunk: Motörhead (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=033263801070006900&cid=600111)

Relaxing: Miles Davis (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=028664601080706550&cid=600111) or Freddie Roach (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=025467401020006900&cid=600111)

VFE.

joe2812
22nd Oct 2004, 21:49
Before an ice hockey match or playing the French...

Fat Les - Vindaloo (http://www.lyricz.net/F/Fat+Les/119505)

Nice and easy to remember at least!

phnuff
22nd Oct 2004, 23:09
Mdm phnuff ( a competitive horsewoman) always plays Faure's Requiem to settle her mind before climbing aboard her nags.

djk
24th Oct 2004, 11:24
Anything by William Shatner is a great way of getting people to leave at the end of an evening.
:D

Loki
24th Oct 2004, 11:44
For annoying Mrs Loki (or anyone else) : Mongolian Throat Singing.

maninblack
24th Oct 2004, 22:24
When setting off on a long motorway trip in summer.........The Stranglers; Time To Die (a track Hank Marvin would have written if he had taken drugs and watched Blade Runner)

When wide awake and driving long distances.......Elgar or Mendholson

When trying to keep awake in the car..........Buzzcocks; Singles Going Steady

When feeling contemplative....Richard Thompson or Sandy Denny.

chuks
25th Oct 2004, 07:09
According to my wife, more children have been conceived to the sounds of Barry White than any other artist. I have no idea what source she has for this, but it sounds about right.

One night back around 1980, out late, flying back from Great Inagua in the Bahamas in a clapped-out Piper Aztec, we had just leveled off at ten thousand feet, skimming the tops of a strato-cumulus layer silvered by the moonlight. That was as close to an illusion of speed as you could get in a 150-knot Aztec. And, of course, way out there in the Bahamas there is very little extraneous light, so that the stars and the moonlight come up very strongly, just as they do in the desert.

I had engaged the navigation/in-flight entertainment system in that I had some station from Nassau on the ADF (no GPS in those days, of course) which I was also listening to over the headphones. Then they started playing that hit from the Police that went 'Doo-dah-dah' or whatever it was. Not bad, not bad....

Flying an Aztec you couldn't really go in for anything nuanced; the noise level in there must have been up around 100 decibels just at cruise power. Stupid pop music with a heavy bass line worked very well, I found. Anything by Mozart, even if one could have found it on an AM station, would have been right out. Well, perhaps not that march he wrote for some British regiment, but anything else.

Of course, such is the way of the world that the pop music soon ceased, when some bible-puncher came on, ranting and raving about Jeeeezus and 'Are you saved?' Not me, brother! Until I could work out a wind-drift solution by getting lucky with bearing and distance from Nassau, say, I was one of the lost in my own private version of the dark night of the soul. So I turned the ADF off and made do with the noise of the engines, a sort of music in itself.

The Aztec had a kind of complicated fuel selector panel set down there on the floor between the seats. If you got it wrong when cross-feeding then it was a case of 'We now interrupt this programme to bring you...' cough, splutter, aaagh!

The thing was, given that the fuel gauges were Mickey Mouse signature models, one simply ran a tank dry to make sure of using all the auxiliary fuel. Once that happened, though, one had to be sure of moving the selector in the correct direction unless one was prepared for a short period of rather intense silence. 'Flying to a sound-track by John Cage' you could call that. '4:55.'

Eagle18th
27th Oct 2004, 12:47
In the car - as long as Mrs Eagle isn't on board, it's very difficult to beat Therapy?'s "Troublegum" at full volume.:E
If Mrs Eagle is present, she'll usually suffer a few minutes of The Stranglers, then fall asleep. :rolleyes:

phnuff
27th Oct 2004, 12:54
If Mrs Eagle is present, she'll usually suffer a few minutes of The Stranglers, then fall asleep

I bet she wouldnt fall asleep at the volume I play it :D (or at least thats one excuse for being deaf!!)

nosefirsteverytime
27th Oct 2004, 13:01
I find myself always drawn to "Halfway between the gutter and the stars" by Fatboy Slim (He's modern dance, for all ye wot don't know).
Track one (Yellow Sun): chilling/relaxing
Track two (What the F***?):Studying Maths
Track three (Bird of Prey): Studying fluids/aerodynamics/plane spotting/in flight/ as much as bloody possible
Track Four (The macy gray one): Before going out
Track five (Yo Mama): Will be blaring when I get to the metalwork shop

There's more to this, but I'll explain later when I'm out of class.

DishMan
27th Oct 2004, 13:21
Ravel's Bolero :E

MadsDad
27th Oct 2004, 13:25
Driving:- "Born in the USA", Springsteen (good for 10 secs/mile)

Winding down on a Friday Afternoon:- "Ravel's Bolero" (Accompanied by a glass of white wine; all tenseness goes with the final 'screech', don't know why).

Binoculars
27th Oct 2004, 15:05
As an introduction, I find that sports stadium classic, Let's All Hurl Together, by The Vomits to take a bit of beating.

Strangling Voltaire, by the Persian Chooks, is next on any thinking person's playlist. Its ethereal yet jejune interface terrifies the listener into accepting the next track, which must, as anybody who knows anything at all about music will agree, be Allegro and Fugue Too in S sharp by The Stranglers.

Only those of us in that secret society with an intimate knowledge of music will be aware of Track 4, Dannii Minogue's Stygian ode, I Love Washing Up, and I hope we can keep it that way. Take for example....

"Baby baby, my bare ass against the kitchen sink, Maybe Kylie swallow, but only Dannii drink"

How many pseudo music lovers, your basic Dire Straits, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd etc dinosaurs would recognise this for the cri de coeur it is from this reluctant intellectual? If ever there were a more paeanful paean against unbearable parental demands, it escapes this reviewer.

Such earthy, Waits-esque determinism can only be suitably followed by the screamingly funny "The Population Of Burkina Faso, instructed, starved and whipped by His Majesty N'Dougal Idi Obote Mugabe".

Once again the unmusical liberals will rail against this hysterical version of the musical comedy track "Somebody Please Help Us" pretending there is hidden agenda, but who cares? The uneducated tend to look straight through the clear anti-Western satire of such tracks and their rib-tickling and ever so cryptic lines, best summarised by this classic from Verse 1; " Please ferchrissakes somebody help us." Brilliant!

Sorry, I got carried away; my ribs were hurting and tears were rolling down my cheeks. Absolute knee-slapping subtlety.

Phew, where were we? Ahh yes, track five...... There must be a note of seriousness in the proceedings somewhere, and it comes from Dido with her classic rap song, What m*****fu***r stole my L? Spearing straight to the heart of historical Negro blues and soul, this listener finds himself struggling to restrict the tear ducts at the obvious memories of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Smokey Robinson, and Al, and when she gets to the punch line, "which one of you m**f**rs is gonna f*** my a** first?" I confess the tears roll unstoppably down my cheeks.

This is perhaps the album of the century, perhaps last century too. I don't have enough words to... pardon?

What? Certain occasions? Wtf are you talking about? Do you know who I am? I'm a record reviewer! ...arrrggghhhhh...........

DishMan
27th Oct 2004, 15:16
Uumm Binos think you ought to lay off the Absinthe there mate! :uhoh:

Binoculars
28th Oct 2004, 02:46
Phew! I think I'd better think about upgrading to the two litre wine casks from the four litre ones. :ooh: :ooh: