PDA

View Full Version : The French Revolution

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 08:48
Anybody else see The French Revolution by Thomas Carlyle narrated by Bill Paterson on BBC2 last night?,a excellent dramatisation and narration of a marvelous piece of writing, for once one praises the BBC, more progs of that quality and one would not object to paying the licence so much.
Been a good series called Historians of Genius,
:rolleyes:

Sedbergh
22nd Oct 2004, 09:30
Sorry, was too busy eating cake

XXTSGR
22nd Oct 2004, 09:48
Was too busy removing my culottes :confused: :} :ok:

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 09:53
Phillistines!!, prolly all watching the wrestling.

Capn Notarious
22nd Oct 2004, 10:25
[Phillistines!!, prolly all watching the wrestling.
Nude mud or foam bath?

One question to all how come when I ask for Bold the new window dont open for intended text. Is that because HTML says off????????????

Paterbrat
22nd Oct 2004, 11:00
What was interesting was that the state of anarchy was such that it began devouring itself, a pleasant irony to behold.

Captain Blackadder
22nd Oct 2004, 11:09
We Hate the French! We fight wars against them! Did all those men die in vain on the field of Agincourt? Was the man who burnt Joan of Arc simply wasting good matches?

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 11:10
Never read any of Carlyles stuff,what a facinating mode of writing he had, very modern somehow,almost stream of conciousness stuff,one thinks Mr Davaar would like Carlyle.
For the rest of prooners International Welly Throwing tonight.

Davaar
22nd Oct 2004, 13:19
"The Sage of Ecclefechan". When Carlyle wrote the book he lent the manuscript to Charles Lamb, I think it was, to check it over. Lamb left it on his desk or table. The maid "cleaned up", as women will, and put it in the fire. Ooooops! Lamb had the happy task of telling Carlyle. Carlyle took it well, and started all over again. Heigh-ho. What you saw was the second version.

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 14:42
Ah yes it did mention that Mr Davaar, as I said a strange writing style, it reminded me of that other Scotsman Dylan Thomas somehow.

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 15:25
We Hate the French! We fight wars against them! Did all those men die in vain on the field of Agincourt? Was the man who burnt Joan of Arc simply wasting good matches? It would appear so...:{ But all is not lost me hearty shipmate. I hear that there be some evil entrepreneurs remaining in the Moluccas and South China sea. Perhaps there are still opportunities for like-minded seafarers in search of adventure and prizes. I have already located a suitable ship, the Victory currently lyin' in Portsmouth. T'would be a simple matter of ordering aboard the provisions and ordnance. I have this day submitted a petition to Her Majesty for the necessary warrants...:ok:

Davaar
22nd Oct 2004, 15:45
Ummm:

I think so, but then again it was the French who burned the poor girl, not the English. I do believe there was a collaborator element among them. Would that surprise you?

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 16:26
If recent history is anything to go by, the French merely cut off women's hair and paraded them through the streets. That's a long way from burning them at the stake. Perhaps they simply intended to give her a fright and celebrate with a barbecue of her horse?:\

Davaar
22nd Oct 2004, 17:00
If they intended to give her a fright they succeeded. The girl was absolutely terrified.

Val d'Isere
22nd Oct 2004, 18:45
Was too busy knitting. :rolleyes:

rainbow
22nd Oct 2004, 19:02
Former Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai (died 1976) when asked about his thoughts on the consequences of the French Revolution said "It is too early to say".

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 19:07
Other famous Chinese proverb:

Once in grave, too late to change mind...:p

tony draper
22nd Oct 2004, 19:16
Ah ,but does ones mind accompany one to the grave? there are those who think otherwise, one is not numbered among those though
:uhoh:

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 19:31
One has a faint recollection that there was indeed a time when one possessed a full mind. Completely receptive, perhaps even predatory. Alas, the drudgery of existence appears to have scared it away to a hopefully better place. One survives by one's wits alone these days. C'est la vie... :sad:

phnuff
22nd Oct 2004, 23:15
We Hate the French!

Oh yes ? Try getting
'Je t'aime'

whispered in your ear in a french accent and try hate the french !

airship
22nd Oct 2004, 23:57
You naughty boy phnuff! ;) Bienvenue to the ranks of the cheese-eaters and garlic sniffers...

Grandpa
23rd Oct 2004, 05:42
Come on Airship, itsn't garlic only for Phnuff!

Seems he is interested in other spices too..................

Algy's Monocle
23rd Oct 2004, 09:27
A French Revolution would be a very good idea.