PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook Interview

A320 or bust
21st Oct 2004, 18:17
Have interview coming up with TCX.

Anyone able to give an idea of what to expect?

Any info would be good.

Cheers

expedite_climb
21st Oct 2004, 18:38
It depends upon what your experience is....

Do you have an internal reccommendation ?

Expect, amongst other things a chat to find out if the interviewers could sit next to you for 12 hours, and still want to go for a pint with you....

A320 or bust
21st Oct 2004, 18:49
I have about 600 hrs TT but about 400 of that being on heavy turbo-prop.

I have no internal recommendation.

Do you currently work for Thomas Cook airlines? Could you give me information on roster patterns etc, via private message if necessary. Are the new hires likely to go on to the Boeing or the Airbus fleets?

Leo8
21st Oct 2004, 21:29
A320 or Bust,

Did they contact you by email or phone you? I have 750hours with 550 on the ATR72 but unfortunately havent heard anything yet!

When is your interview?

Goodluck.

fly-dj
21st Oct 2004, 21:39
One more quick question to go with leo8’s

How and when did you apply? Direct contact or letter, through website, or some other approach.

Thanks for the info and good luck

A320 or bust
21st Oct 2004, 21:42
Hi guys,

I filled out the online form about a week or two ago. Interview is next week. Contacted by phone.

Good luck to everyone else who applied and those who have an interview.

Cheers.

expedite_climb
22nd Oct 2004, 08:27
The main bulk of the vacancies I believe will also be MAN & NCL based (both boeing), with maybe a few at LGW. There are at least 32 vacancies on the 757. There may be a few A320 vacancies, but the clue is the manager in charge of recruitment is the Boeing deputy fleet manager....

Not a bad company to work for; If I had the choice of all the UK airlines it'd probably come 4th behind BA & Virgin, and the Britannia, although the latter seem to be having a few probs these days.

Life as an FO. From what I see, life is considerably better than in the likes of EZY / FR etc, but the major difference is time to command. The first commands in 4 years (yes 4 years!) are about to be offered, but it is likely to be only 5 or so, and there are over 150 FO's. Do the maths. That said, plenty of FO's are leaving right now to the likes of Virgin & BA.

Expect to have a busy summer, and a quiet winter. How quiet depends upon where you are. LGW is perhaps the busiest in the winter, with lots of skiing from mid december. MAN has some skiing too, but NCL is practically dead with just a handful of canaries flights.

In the last year I have flown 750 hours with TCX, the agreed limit is 800hrs but there is a voluntary overtime agreement. You will get 8 days off a month, almost always in pairs, and sometimes more as they give you 104 DO's a year. Roster stability has been poor this year, due to lack of crews, again depending on where you are. Expect the majority of your duties to be 2 sector days, with less and less of bucket & spade spain, and more of turkey, far greece, egypt etc. i.e. almost always back to base, but there is plenty of night flying in the summer. There is now also ETOPS flying to canada in the summer on the 757, but this is the top 2/3 of MAN & LGW fo's and all GLA Fo's.

The union is fairly strong, and has good relations with the company.

A320 or bust
22nd Oct 2004, 10:34
expedite_climb

Thanks for the info. Are you or maybe anyone else reading this able to give specific interview details in addition to what you have already posted? Also, what sort of experience did you join the comapany with?

If ppjn is correct then if interview goes ok then its sim in hs125. Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Localiser Green
22nd Oct 2004, 11:07
I believe they use a 757 sim now, could be wrong though.

expedite_climb
22nd Oct 2004, 11:29
Afraid I can't really help on the interview itself as it is a long time since I did mine. It used to be for someone like yourself a little bit of bad guy / good guy along with the usual tell me about yourself, and them telling you about the company and it's heritage and present direction. As I say, I suspect it will be 'can you be one of the boys....'

Not sure about the SIM either, but CTC used to be in charge of these assessments, and the company remains to have a strong association with them...... If so, what they are looking for is a capacity to learn.

I dont think what I joined with is relevant to the recruitment now, as the pilot management / recruiters / bean counting thinking is different these days.....

Good luck though.

Oh - and in case you are interested -

SFO Year One (From Nov 04) (Joiner with full ATPL or on gaining full ATPL) - ~£41,500

FO Year One (From Nov 04) - ~£32,000

On issue of your green book you will go to year one SFO.

Flight pay is currently £2.58 per hour, check in to clear.

Current pay deal runs until Apr 06, with an RPI +0.1 increase in April 05, and 1.5% increase in Nov 05, (latter subject to company meeting profit targets).

A320 or bust
22nd Oct 2004, 12:07
Once again thanks for the informaiton.

Sounds good, just got to get through the interview now!

Cheers.
:D

Captain Douglas
22nd Oct 2004, 14:38
Also have interview coming up with Thomas Cook. If anyone has any pointers on interview, selection procedure, sim etc would be greatly received. Good luck A320 or bust

holyflurkingschmitt
22nd Oct 2004, 23:16
Heard a rumour from a friend that half of 30 pilots needed would be 'experienced' and other half 'low houred Integrated guys'

Don't shoot the messenger because as i say it's a rumour from someone who got it from the flight deck inside TC

I'd be interested to see what experience CapD has thanks A320 or bust for your info.

Also very interested to see if any low houred/no commercial experience guy's got the call for interview?

Good luck guy's anyway, have heard there a great company to work for !!

HFS:{

Captain Douglas
23rd Oct 2004, 16:38
Hi there I have 2000h TT, 500 of which in turboprop. Come on guys and girls someone must have an idea of what to epect!

Hey there captainkilner and A320 or bust. Thanks for PMs. Problem is that I can\'t actually access them. Any chance of forwarding them to [email protected]. Thanks alot, help greatly appreciated.

MarkDip
25th Oct 2004, 13:12
Joined the airline 4 years ago.

Interview Format 1 Hour Chat with Chief Pilot and Fleet Manager. No quiz, No psycho, No tricks.

Tips: Be prepared, be smart, be punctual, be knowledgeable, be interesting, but above all BE HONEST and BE YOURSELF.
Remember, you meet their experience requirements. They want to know about YOU.

Simulator: Seems to vary. Ex- military and experienced pilots may not be asked to complete one. Others probably will.

Format: Varies. HS125, Caravelle (oh yes!) 737, 757, who knows, just go back to basics, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate (Inside and Out).

Tips: Be safe, be competent, and above all BE A CREW. Don't drop your oppo in it. If you do, GOODBYE.

There are no tricks. Get the basics right and be yourself.

Reds Blues Greens
25th Oct 2004, 14:21
Hi,

Is there anyone out there who is a previously unemployed cadet who has been contacted for interview?

Cheers,

Ian.

LVL CHG
25th Oct 2004, 19:08
People who are granted the opportunity to fly either a 757 or an A320 are lucky - regardless of their total hours. That being said, which aircraft (757 or A320) is better as a learning platform for low-houred pilots? For the experienced guys out there at TC, which do you think would be "better" to start on from a learning perspective? And which base provides the most varied flying (also good for experience building)?

I'd fly either in a heartbeat and be very happy...

Odd Skipper
26th Oct 2004, 10:25
RBG -
Check out the Oxford website - follow link to APP websites and choose 227. Some Oxford APP graduates have been contacted, so I guess that the low hrs guys and Gals they're looking for might come staright from the schools (via recomendations).
In fact 4 students went to TC earlier this year from Oxford - at 2 days notice. This latest request to Oxford has been dispalyed as an urgent one. Therfore, perhaps time is up for low hrs guys not contacted.
How these people were selected is unknown.
The on-line application was very unspecific, and so to choose between candidates (other than experience - which low hrs don't have) would be a pretty impossible task. It didn't even list first time passes etc.. let alone any personal info. Probably not designed for low hrs recruitement.
I along with others wait to hear that magic call - phone still dead though.
:rolleyes:

Racing Green
26th Oct 2004, 10:46
I would have thought that they have let eveyone know by now, do you think this is the case or is there anyone still getting called.

holyflurkingschmitt
27th Oct 2004, 18:12
Odd Skipper

Although i think your probably correct, if you read the passage below from the Oxford website it does say 'to be considered for entry' so maybe not all over just yet for modular bod's !!

'Oxford Aviation Training is delighted to have been invited by Thomas Cook to supply Trainee pilots and Graduates to be considered for selection for entry into the airline as First Officers. More details will be supplied once matters have been finalised.'

Like i say your probably correct but let's see if any low houred guy's have been contacted by TC post a reply albeit modular or integrated because at the moment no-one has.

Here's hoping

HFS:ok:

Craggenmore
27th Oct 2004, 18:22
Some low hour Oxford grads, both APP and non-APP, have been contacted by Oxford asking for their permission to release their training report to TC. I do not know about modular students. (As an aside, ChannEx took 1 Oxford modular student in their latest recruitment drive. In addition, BA have rejected some APP students...)

That is all I can say because TC have not yet contacted the Oxford students.

A fingers crossed Craggs...

Odd Skipper
27th Oct 2004, 20:51
Crag,
are you one put forward? - non app that is?
PM me if you want.
Time will tell what will happen for sure.
Anyone spoken to TC?
Cheers
OC

Virginia Plane
27th Oct 2004, 21:37
Quote LVL CHG - "For the experienced guys out there at TC, which do you think would be "better" to start on from a learning perspective? And which base provides the most varied flying (also good for experience building)?"

I used to work for JMC/TC and have flown both the Boeing and the Airbus. I would say that if you havn't flown either before you would find the Boeing easier, however once you are used to it the Airbus is the considerably better office.

G Wax
28th Oct 2004, 07:32
Anyone APP or non-APP had a call from Thomas Cook yet? I haven't.

Pilot Pete
28th Oct 2004, 08:15
LVL CHG

As regards your other questionAnd which base provides the most varied flying (also good for experience building)? having worked for them myself, if you want the largest variety of flying pick one of the larger bases; Gatwick or Manchester. They have considerably more routes and variety of destination. If you want a quiet (comparatively) life pick one of the smaller bases with only one aircraft and you will be able to virtually predict call out chances on a standby day.......

PP

holyflurkingschmitt
30th Oct 2004, 20:30
Any low houred guy's heard anything yet ?

HFS:confused:

G Wax
31st Oct 2004, 09:59
Still waiting for the call since being put forward. Anyone heard anything?

Nervous!

Bableton
1st Nov 2004, 11:41
I have 3500Hrs TT with 1500 on A320 and after filling out the online application on the second day I got no reply.

The lord works in Mysterious ways.

No worries because there's plenty of jobs to choose from but it seems strange when I read that turboprop guys are getting interviews. It must be for the 757 requirements.

I was told by TC Chief Pilot on telephone before going to the online application that they need about 35 757 guys and about 10 A320.

Good luck to those going for their first Jet Job.

G Wax
1st Nov 2004, 13:50
He certainly does work in mysterious ways!

Has anyone from Oxford had a call for interview yet?

expedite_climb
1st Nov 2004, 14:35
Bableton,

It is a funny old world isnt it; unfortunately I suspect you are TOO experienced for the job. Having had very little recruitment the last 4 years, and no commands in that time, TCX has a lot of experienced FO's. Many now jumping ship because they are sick of seeing a v. long time to command. That coupled with the fact that the company can take of low houred guys who are cheaper (FO salary scale), without increasing insurance cost due to high average experience don't make you attractive.

Sad isnt it !

witchdoctor
1st Nov 2004, 18:39
G Wax

Not sure that TC have actually approached Oxford officially yet with the requirements for the selection board (at least that is what I was told when I enquired), so unless they applied direct via the web, then I suspect the answer is no. Did they actually tell you that your name had been put forward by the selection panel?:confused:

G Wax
1st Nov 2004, 21:15
Hi Witchdoctor

Yes, Oxford say they have put a number of students forward, but I don't know if anyone has been invited to interview as of yet.

I applied online before it closed, so fingers crossed one way or another.

Do you have an interview?

G

Craggenmore
2nd Nov 2004, 10:31
Old Skipper

I am a non-APP still waiting to hear...

To be honest there is not a lot of difference between the two courses at Oxford as Airlines are noticing.

Craggs

G Wax
2nd Nov 2004, 14:32
Craggs

Please check your PM

G

Virginia Plane
2nd Nov 2004, 16:34
Bableton - I have to agree with Expedite. If I was Adrian Richards I would be more keen on guys who are prepared to sit in the right seat for a long time than type rated experienced guys who would be peed off with no command prospects for several years and consequently go elsewhere (ironically enough like Expedite, myself and many, many others). If you can accept a looong time to command TC is a great place to be (especially if you are an early morning/middle of the night sort of person!).

timzsta
2nd Nov 2004, 17:58
I was encouraged to fill out the online form after the BALPA conference the other week but when I tried the website was having technical trouble for a couple of days. Then went away to do my MCC course and when I came back the online application had been closed as enough candidates had applied:{

Good luck to all of you who have got an interview. Let us know how it goes.

Reds Blues Greens
2nd Nov 2004, 19:12
Timzsta,

If you are a previously unemployed low hour pilot then I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you can see from this thread it seems to be only people from Oxford that have had contact from TC.

I applied online along with many companions (low hour) and no one I know have been contacted.

Ian.

A320 or bust
2nd Nov 2004, 22:11
As you can see from this thread it seems to be only people from Oxford that have had contact from TC.

I think if you read the thread you will see that I started the topic of TC interviews, and I have turbo-prop time and currently work for a UK regional. Although I am ex-Oxford, my interview was not gained via Oxford but from online form. I don't think anyone truely low houred and unemployed from Oxford has been contacted (as far as this thread goes).

Good luck to everyone who applied.

holyflurkingschmitt
3rd Nov 2004, 11:14
Just to echo A320 or bust last reply, it does look like on this thread that no low houred guy's (whether it be modular or integrated) have beeing called forward to interview yet !!

Here's hoping !!

HFS:confused:

flystudent
3rd Nov 2004, 13:14
The guys on 227 at Oxford have setup a forum now so as soon as they hear anything it will probably be on there.

go direct to their page (http://www.fm.mikechannon.com) and follow the forums link.

witchdoctor
3rd Nov 2004, 13:28
Oh deary me!

Is that link a p*ss take or for real?

PS. Linebooks may be funny to those involved, but it just makes you all look rather silly to an outsider, and that may or may not include airline recruiters. Job hint: Avoid actively promoting anything which may leave you looking like a kn*b. Think professional people.

flystudent
3rd Nov 2004, 13:36
thanks witchdoctor , I had put the wrong link in there, has now been modified to the forums one.

As for the linebooks I hear what you're saying, however have to remember at the beginning (line book time) people knew very little compared to at the end of the course. Anyway probably not the forum to discuss that but thanks for your view.

Cheers
FS

holyflurkingschmitt
4th Nov 2004, 20:16
Still all quiet then ? nobody heard anything? I've not heard of anybody receiving a call has anyone else?

Still hoping !!

HFS:bored:

High'n'Low
5th Nov 2004, 10:22
Had an interview with Thomas Cook the other day. Very relaxed interview. The interviewers were friendly and encouraging, there were no tricks and no awkward technical questions. It lasted about 45mins.

Bableton
5th Nov 2004, 14:07
Expedite_Climb, Havn't used that button for while in the Bus!

Yes I agree with your reasoning. Although i'm on the loosing end of that theory it does make a refreshing change. Gives new guys a chance to get onto jets.

There's plenty of jobs for people like me. Just finished with MYT and i'm in 3 hold pools.

Looks like i'm going to be skint for christmas but the new year should bring great prospects.

I guess it's not going to be with TC.

holyflurkingschmitt
5th Nov 2004, 17:26
High 'n' low

Congratulations on securing the interview lets hope its a happy outcome !!
Can you tell us what level of experience you have?

Cheers

flystudent
6th Nov 2004, 10:46
some of the Oxford low hour guys got calls yesterday

High'n'Low
6th Nov 2004, 17:05
Holyflurkingschmitt

Thank you for the vote of confidence, I am praying for a happy outcome.

In answer to your question, I am a few hours short of my ATPL, and have over 1100 hours turboprop experience.

Cheers

holyflurkingschmitt
6th Nov 2004, 18:21
High 'n' Low

Thanks for the info and again good luck !!

It looks like the fat lady is getting ready to sing for the rest of us low houred-ish modular guy's then !!

Oh Holyflurkingschmitt !!!

HFS:sad:

G Wax
7th Nov 2004, 21:32
Hi flystudent,

do you know how many APP students got called to interview?

thanks

A320 or bust
9th Nov 2004, 21:56
Anyone who did the first round of interviews heard anything from TC yet?

G Wax
10th Nov 2004, 11:38
Sorry A320 or bust, can't help you with that. How did the interview go? Many technical/general aviation questions?

Has anyone received a call this week to go to interview?

I am still waiting hopefully!

A320 or bust
10th Nov 2004, 13:37
Well doesn't really matter what I thought of the interview as I got the "sorry but you have been unsuccessful" letter today.

Never mind, would have been good but not to be for me.

Good luck to the others who have interviews. Let us know how you get on.

:ok:

G Wax
10th Nov 2004, 14:44
Sorry to hear that A320

holyflurkingschmitt
10th Nov 2004, 18:20
A320 or Bust

Bad luck with the interview mate!! As i was told, there's probably something bigger and better waiting round the corner for you!!

Good luck to the rest of you with interviews.

Still awaiting that magic phone call!!!

Odd Skipper
11th Nov 2004, 10:02
A320 or Bust,
Bad luck mate.
I'd ask them for some feedback, just so you know if there's anything you can improve upon for the next one.
And there will be a next one. You were selected over and above all the other candidates and are therefore the cream on the top of the milk just waiting to be skimmed of by an airline.
You're getting close mate.
Good luck with all.

Cheers
Skip

captainkilner
15th Nov 2004, 20:29
Any low houred non Oxford guy's got the call for interview?

Any Oxford guy's heard anything from there interviews?

Good luck to all who have had the interviews!!

Capk:ok:

CB1
17th Dec 2004, 15:17
Sorry to take this thread off at an angle but I'm looking for some information!

I'm trying to find out about Thomas Cook's fleet, there doesn't seem to be anything on their website....anyone have any ideas as to where i could find it, or, have the types and numbers (quantities.. I'm not after registrations!) to hand?

Thanks in advance!

CB1

holyflurkingschmitt
17th Dec 2004, 15:20
Have you tried www.ppjn.com look for Thomas Cook and info at the bottom.

taken from PPJN :

15 x B757-200
2 x B757-300
5 x A320
2 x A330

CB1
18th Dec 2004, 14:44
Thanks for that... just what I needed!

Cb1:ok:

Katanaman
19th Dec 2004, 06:57
I completed my interview and sim ride on the 757 12 days ago now and have heard nothing. Anyone else in my position? I know of another person who has been waiting also without any kind of notice.

Seems strange to me to keep people waiting so long.

Since then I've been on another interview, so its not too bad, but I really am interested in working for TC.

theharrier
19th Dec 2004, 10:14
12 days! Phuh, thats nothing :D I had my sim during the last week of November and haven't heard anything - not for lack of trying either. Over 3 weeks now and my nerves are shot! Hang in there - TC have to be one of the best to work for!

theharrier :ok:

theharrier
22nd Dec 2004, 12:58
Success! Had a phone call this morning to offer me a position, Boeing course starting Feb 16th...anyone else joining me? What a Christmas this is going to be!

theharrier :D :D :D

Katanaman
24th Dec 2004, 02:05
Got the call just after theharrier.

Bus course 16th March 2005. Good timing, since its Xmas tomorrow!!!!

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
29th Dec 2004, 18:13
theharrier

I'll be seeing you in Manch on 16th Feb, on your Boeing course! Got the call a few weeks back!

Have a Happy New Year!

Cheers

ACA

joe
4th Jan 2005, 18:07
The Harrier.

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers Joe