PDA

View Full Version : STOP THIEF!! Wireless Webcam ideas??

Ray Darr
21st Oct 2004, 14:44
How to catch a thief...

Having a few drams of the finest Scotch go missing WHEN OFFERED to someone is a good thing...BUT when "security" people (prime suspects, here) have access to your home, and you notice a few things missing (like the above mentioned liquids) that you have NOT been offered...makes my blood boil!

Add a few missing eggs, etc, I think it is time to use this new generation of wireless security cameras, preferably the ones that snap videos (with sound!) of anyone in the field of view, which then email the clips to you.

I just read a review in PC Mag about the D-Link camera (and a few others) but which one to choose?? These look pretty interesting - remotely controllable via a web-browser even!

Anyone have one of these new units yet?

Cheers!
Ray Darr

(Now excuse me while I duck back into the shadows, holding an iron bar...awaiting the next arrival of our newest pest!!) :suspect:

BEagle
21st Oct 2004, 15:35
Pour half of the Scotch into another bottle and hide it. Then top up the first bottle with a bodily fluid of roughly the same colour..... That stopped the cleaners thieving my whisky when I was a student....:E Or maybe it was the ExLax in the Suchard chocolate wrapper?

At another place, there was a problem with frozen meals being pinched by those not entitled. So a small sign was made up:

"WARNING - If you wish to gamble, go ahead. You might be lucky and get a normal frozen meal. Or, less luckily, the one with added salt. Even less luckily still, the one with added laxative. But if you're really unlucky, you might just get the one containing a deep frozen dog turd! I know which is which - do you? Feeling lucky, punk?"

Funnily enough, the thieving stopped! Even though, of course, we didn't doctor any of the meals!

SoftTop
22nd Oct 2004, 13:19
ROFL.

Have to admit that spoofing the d*ckhe*ds who nick stuff is ALWAYS fun.

Anyway, remote cameras. I'll be watching the thread with interest. Got a far more satisfying (if sneaky) use for them in the home. Ever been away on holiday and wondered what your gentle and caring offspring get up to. Or maybe it's more a concern about their "friends". We've left our eldest lad at home a couple of times now and only had to interrogate him twice over the past four years. I suppose that's a bit of a good result :*

If I can manage to mount up to four cams in the house - and access them from, say, an internet cafe - that would be fandabadosy.:ok:

I would think though, that I'd have to bite the bullet and use wireless. Been trying to avoid that like the plague because of, strangely enough, security issues.

ST

Ray Darr
22nd Oct 2004, 14:46
One new crew-member nicked too many eggs, etc, at a crew-house years ago. I put a bat against the fridge, and taped a large sign to the door saying: "Next person to take anything without asking first will find this jammed in places the sun does not shine!"...Needless to say, the theft stopped from that point onwards!

Unfortunately, I am too lazy nowadays to pound useless sense into those who have none. Besides, having taped proof of the thief in action will be a guaranteed one-way-home for the person with the light-fingers where we are residing. You can't say they didn't ask for it!

Some of these cameras have tilt, zoom, audio, and sensitivity level settings, etc. Pretty neat stuff out there.

As for security with wireless, there is a lot of hardware and websites that help you set up a secure system.

~Ray Darr

Windle Poons
22nd Oct 2004, 15:31
My old man used to work for a company that bought one of these systems (http://www.nrsltd.net/CCTV.htm). He set up the software for them, but never actually used the system, so can't vouch for the ease of use etc, but he said the set up was easy enough.

One (cheaper) alternative is FlyOnTheWall (http://www.flyonthewall.uk.com/) who do wireless remote systems. You can link these to your PC with a suitable graphics card and image capturing software. The wife's grandfather has two cameras on his garages, but they are linked to a video rather than PC.

A second (even cheaper still) alternative is to paint yourself white, stand in the corner and make like a fridge!! :}

Have fun (whatever you do) and here's hoping you catch the b45t4rd.

WP

SoftTop
23rd Oct 2004, 09:13
Not sure I'd want to make like a fridge if folks are gonna help themselves! Not to mention stick bats to me!

Mind you, I suppose it depends on who's helping themselves .... nooooo .... too many disturbing images .....aaaargghhh!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Oct 2004, 15:15
BEagle,

Did you have this picture on your Freezer too?

http://www.norcalmovies.com/DirtyHarry/dh12.jpg

Take Care,

Richard :cool: