PDA

View Full Version : IFR training pc simulators

kilobravo
21st Oct 2004, 14:39
I presume most of us have MFS 2004 on their home PC, but I would like to know if it is worth buying any of the IFR training aids like ELITE or any of the other IFR specific trainers. Is it also worth it to spend xtra cash on a proper control yoke and rudder pedals. The reason I am asking is that I found the Microsoft Flight Sim very useful for learning to track to a VOR etc. and it was great for getting the procedures into your head before a flight. However it is not very accurate when trying to nail a descent rate at a certain speed etc, using a joystick. So would one of the dedicated trainers be better? I think that it would help with the IFR training in the future. It is a LOT cheaper to practice everything this way before getting into the plane, making the time in flight more productive having gone over the different scenarios in your head and on the pc many times over before the lesson.
So has anyone used these sims and are they and the hardware mentioned worth the few hundred pounds?

Let me know if you will

KiloBravo:8