PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Daddy?...

Ozzy
21st Oct 2004, 12:21
Unbelievable!!! Damned Yankees (http://www.nypost.com/)

The Boston Red Sox make baseball history by coming back from 3-0 down in a championship series to win 4 games on the trot. Crushing the hated Yankees at home, in the Bronx, to win the American League Pennant and destroy the Curse of the Bambino.

Now it's on to the World Series on Saturday. GO SOX!!

Ozzy

IFTB
21st Oct 2004, 12:41
What a bunch of [email protected]! :}

BALIX
21st Oct 2004, 13:10
Yaaaaayyyyy!!!

I say this as a lifetime Red Sox fan for all of three months. A trip to Fenway's upper bleachers in the summer to see a Sox victory means I've been following them ever since. What's more, I was in New York over the weekend to witnesss first hand the Yankee fans losing that cocky arrogance that they had (justifiably) built up over the first three games. They even announced the result of Game 6 on the flight back to Glasgow on Tuesday night to a few muffled grumbles amongst those on the flight who could give a monkeys. Never mind, they said, we'll get 'em in game 7. Ha! No you won't...

Baseball is a bit crap, true, but this could turn me into a permanent fan :ok:

IFTB
21st Oct 2004, 13:15
Oi, BALIX , hope you're not giving up the icehockey! :rolleyes:

Go Eagles, Go!:}

Binoculars
21st Oct 2004, 13:16
Not pretending to know the innermost secrets of the game, but as a sports fanatic I find it a great spectator sport. And any series where somebody comes back from 0-3 to win a best of seven is fantastic. Go Boston! Just wish I'd seen the last game instead of hearing the result here. :ok:

djk
21st Oct 2004, 13:16
I thought there was a curse on the Boston ballpark or something that they wouldn't win the world series unless they let a load of goats graze on the field... ?

Send Clowns
21st Oct 2004, 13:38
Michael Howard will be pleased. I understand he is a Red Sox fan. Perhaps a good omen, coming in to win when people think they can't?

Parapunter
21st Oct 2004, 13:43
The ball's the wrong size.:suspect:

lasernigel
21st Oct 2004, 13:51
Man called Frank,well that's what the guy who lived with me mam said.Was a right B*****d.

Oh Baseball,isn't that the Americans answer to our British girls rounders??:D

Rushton
21st Oct 2004, 14:44
Just a quick thought Ozzy - how many teams from around the world enter the World Series, or should it be called the American Series?

Rushy

Wino
21st Oct 2004, 14:56
Ozzy,
Simply beating the Yankees doesn't lift the curse of the bambino. They have done that 100s of times since they sold Babe Ruth to finanance a play.

They Have to win the world series. Untill they win the World Series, the curse is very much alive.

Go Houston.

Cheers
Wino

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Oct 2004, 15:03
Sounds like the Americas Cup in 1983 - and that was deffo worth getting up early to listen to :D

con-pilot
21st Oct 2004, 15:37
Wino, sorry but I think this is the first time I have ever disagreed with you.

GO CARDS!

I watched the Boston-New York game last night WELL DONE BOSTON!
:ok:

Ozzy
21st Oct 2004, 17:19
They Have to win the world series. Untill they win the World Series, the curse is very much alive. It wasn't last night - dead as a door nail :E :E

What about a match up Schilling with his stitched up tendon sheath - ouch...

Ozzy

con-pilot
21st Oct 2004, 19:31
I will have to admit I was very impressed with performance of Schilling. The pictures of his blood soaked sock and watching him limp to cover first base twice was amazing. I really was worried when he was pulled from the game; he really had the Yankee’s number. He gave the Red Sox’s bullpen a vital break.

He has to be the MVP for the entire series.

West Coast
21st Oct 2004, 20:29
That thing did have a load of blood on it for sure.

The beautiful thing about the curse is its subjective nature.

For some its been reversed after the Yankee melt down. For others it will take winning the series against the Astros (I hope)

I wonder how long before we have to educate the masses about the term world series. Happens about this time ever year.

T_richard
21st Oct 2004, 20:31
Ortiz was made MVP for the ALCS, though Schilling should get a medal for sheer guts and determination. Some guys just can't be stopped.

I worry about facing Roger, but I think the Sox are going to be looking for gold this time and won't settle till they get it.

I heard the Steinbrenner wanted to hire Ortiz a couple of years back and was talked out of it by some of his highly paid wise men. Is the sound I just heard, bodies being thrown off the roof of Yankee Stadium or were those just resumes being printed for job hunters?

My brother in law owes me $20.00 over this one:ok: :ok: ;)

Wino
21st Oct 2004, 21:24
Actually if the Sox face the Strohs and Roger Clemens and LOSE, then the curse will be reinforced as once again another Icon of Boston (Roger Clemens) was cast aside like yesterday's underwear and comes back to deny them a world series.

Clemens was The Sox, and never wanted to leave.

Babe won em 3 world series (1915, 1916, and 1918) and BTW, if he wasn't such a good hitter would have entered the hall of fame as a pitcher (He won 20 games a couple of times, most people don't know what a truly incredible athlete he was, they just see the films of him at the very end of his career when he was old and fat).

But anyway, back to my own thread drift. As I was saying Babe won em 3 series and was cast aside and sent to the Yankees who took off from that point and beat up on the Sox.

They cast aside Clemens, and here he comes to beat up on the sox again, (I hope).

THAT is the curse of the bambino, and now the rocket...

Cheers
Wino

con-pilot
21st Oct 2004, 21:44
I know what you mean West, so I have an idea!

Please read below.

ATTENTION ALL WORLD SERIES DETRACTORS!

For all of you folks that decry our wonderful sport of Baseball please pay attention to the following.

The kind Captain Danny has provided a thing called “Search”. So please when faced with unconquerable desire to engage in mocking America’s favorite past time please go the search window, conveniently located in the upper right hand corner of the web page, and type in “World Series” and then hit the word search. I should imagine even the most simple-minded person would be able to complete such an easy task.

There one can read all the never-ending constantly repetitive comments about baseball that is always brought up this time of the year. Such original posts as, sissy game, girly games, rounders, not the world at all (Now just ignore the fact that the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in 1996) and all the other very trite posts.

Please do Danny a favor by saving web space and not making us read the same old crap over and over and over and over and over again.

Thank you one and all.

BALIX
21st Oct 2004, 22:12
Aw come on guys, if it wasn't called the World Series, you wouldn''t have the chance to claim the moral high ground by denying it means 'world championship'' every twelve months.

I did the search by the way and it came up with 537 threads and I couldn't be arsed trawling through the lot of them so I had a look at Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

This fully debunks the myth that the World Series was named after the New York World newspaper and states that the first few play-offs between the National and American leagues (from 1903 onwards) was given the title 'Championship Series', 'World Championnship Series' and 'World's Series' before adopting 'World Series' as standard. The phrase had been used in the 1880s when the two leagues played some exhibition games.

Perhaps it was American hyperbole after all...

Anyway, it doesn't bother me what it is called, I am, for the moment anyway, hooked. I am the proud owner of a tee shirt that bears the legend 'Schilling', purchased before I knew anything about him (I just liked the name) and worn on my one visit to Fenway.

Oh, and IFTTB, I haven't given up on hockey, it is just that with the Eagles now defunct and the NHL on strike/locked out, there ain't much hockey to watch :{

West Coast
21st Oct 2004, 22:17
Wait..wait, havin a change of heart.

Heard Kerry is tying his future to that of the sox. That whole Massachusetts thing going on...

Gooooo Astros, Cards, natural disaster, last minute baseball strike...

Ozzy
21st Oct 2004, 23:38
Wino, brilliant mate. The personification of the Yankee/Red Sox feud. Should be good to see the results of the World Series and come back here to debate...

Ozzy

Wino
21st Oct 2004, 23:42
Yep,
If the World Series is Won by the Redsox then the curse will really and truly be dead.

I read somewhere that they had finally brought in a priest to perform an excorcism at Fenway, so maybe this is their year.

Either way its gonna be a lot of fun. It always is.

BTW, for those that love baseball the sport and don't just root for the uniform (IOW 'THEIR' team) some of the best baseball in the world is played year around in the Dominican Republic. If you are on a layover and want to see a quality of baseball game, ask the conceirge in your hotel, and they will find you a game to watch, and I guarantee it will be played with skill and heart...

Cheers
Wino

Capt Claret
22nd Oct 2004, 01:59
If you're not faint hearted you might like to try this (http://users.bigpond.com/garrettgundry/pprune/whosyourdaddy.wav) link for an alternative view of Who's your daddy! :E

Capt.KAOS
22nd Oct 2004, 12:49
Amazing, the sympathic underdogs coming back from an almost sure defeat to beat the arrogant überdogs and being saved by a guy called "Johnny of Nazareth"....

Now if that isn't stuff for a Hollywood production, than my name aint KAOS.

Mr Chips
22nd Oct 2004, 12:54
Con Pilot Ilike baseball, I really do.. but trying to use
the fact that the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in 1996. as a defence of the name "World Series" is really stretching it a bit! I take it that they play in an American league, and thus the competition is only for teams that play in such....

You have a national competition called "The World Series". You will always get the pi$$ taken over that name. Deal with it.

And no, I don't compare baseball to rounders, anymore than I would compare Basketball with netball or Rugby with that funny game y'all play wearing bodyarmour!!!

yintsinmerite
22nd Oct 2004, 14:31
Oh dear, fat boys in pyjamas- next sport please

Ozzy
22nd Oct 2004, 15:45
Now if that isn't stuff for a Hollywood production, than my name aint KAOS. I'm with you there KAOS. Apparently, the Sox watched the movie "Miracle" about the US Olympic hockey team beating the USSR in the 80s, before they took to the field on Wednesday night. Given the path to the SOx's ALCS win, Schillings bloody ankle, Damon's slump and then pulling through it and Papi Ortiz's MVP award - there's a movie there.

Ozzy

Little Blue
22nd Oct 2004, 16:56
Bought my son a baseball and a catchers mitt when I was over in Washington, back in August...tell you what, those bloody balls don't half come keen....owwwww.. a lot harder than a rounders ball !
As opposed to other "American" sports, I do enjoy watching baseball..At least I can work out what the hell is going on !

;)

ElectroVlasic
22nd Oct 2004, 17:45
Wino:Clemens was The Sox, and never wanted to leave
Baloney! His last two seasons with the Sox, he showed up to training camp fat and late. He said he wanted to play closer to home and what does he do, he goes and signs with Toronto! No wonder he's widely known as the Texas Con Man.

In case you think I'm the only one with this opinion, look here (http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:tlrQAPowYbkJ:espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/040123.html+clemens+texas+con+man&hl=en).

But the ultimate con man is Clemens. He's now skipped town three times: once for money, once for a ring and once because he fell in love with Andy Pettitte. Sox fans were outraged after Clemens said he'd play only in Boston or Texas, then signed in Canada for a few extra bucks, muttering a few stilted words of thanks on his way out. Toronto fans were outraged when Clemens' agents brokered an iffy trade to Gotham. And Yankee fans were outraged because they'd resisted Clemens for years, finally accepting him after he fondled Babe Ruth's statue enough times. God, what a phony. As soon as they bought into his "I want to retire as a Yankee" rhetoric, he reamed them. Instead of a farewell tour, they got "Farewell, suckers!"
But it doesn't matter, he'll be watching the game on TV..

As for the Yankees,WE'RE YOUR PAPPIES!!!

We were glad to watch you have the most stunning choke in the history of baseball. (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/22/collapse_gets_new_yorks_goat/) For the last two innings, it seemed as if Yankee Stadium became Fenway Park. The shame, the shame...

And now, welcome to the era of THE CURSE OF A-ROD!

Top Ten Secrets to the Red Sox Comeback:

10. Unlike the first three games, we didn\'t leave early to beat the traffic.
9. We put flu virus in Jeter\'s Gatorade.
8. Let\'s just say Pete Rose made some phone calls for us.
7. We asked Pokey Reese to be a little less pokey.
6. It\'s not like we haven\'t won a big game before - it\'s just been 86 years.
5. Honestly, I think we were tired of hearing about the Patriots.
4. The messages of encouragement Martha sent on prison napkins.
3. We pretended the baseball was Letterman\'s head.
2. What\'d you expect - we have a guy who looks like Jesus!
1. We got Babe Ruth\'s ghost a hooker and now everything\'s cool.

Ozzy
28th Oct 2004, 03:51
The Curse is lifted!!!!!!

Red Sox are baseball champions!! A clean sweep of the Cardinals.

Ozzy

con-pilot
28th Oct 2004, 04:38
Yeah, I can’t believe it, the Sox’s won 8 games in a row, that’s got to be some kind of record.

Came back from 3 games down and then won the next 4 games. I would have really liked the Cards to have won, but I have to admire Boston winning in such a great fashion.

And thank GOD it wasn’t the goddamnyankees!

Well-done Boston!

ElectroVlasic
28th Oct 2004, 06:48
Right now, at Logan International Airport, winged pigs are taking off on their journey to the frozen lakes of Hell!

Thank God I'm here to see it!

Although I'm just a bit past the half way point of my expected life time, I really thought I may never see this day.

I witnessed the tragedies of 1975, 1978, 1986 and 2003. And some may say that 2004 is anti-climatic, and I say, "So be it!"

I can't wait till the first home series of 2005, when the Red Sox hoist the World Series banner, in the company of the visiting team, the New York Yankees!

--ev--

T_richard
28th Oct 2004, 18:02
EV

Sorry but anyone who claims that 2004 is anticlimatic is living in a parallel universe. Was that fake blood in Schilling's sock from surgery "to hold his tendon in place" not once but twice? Did Lowe come back from the land of mediocrity to pitch the "must win" game or risk wakinging up the sleeping Cards? Did I see three of our best starting pitchers leave the dugout in the middle of a "do or die" game with the Yankees like gun fighters at the OK Corral, willing to literally give their right arms to bury the punks from the Bronx?

We came back from 0-3 deficit to beat the most historied team in baseball, then won 8 games straight to beat the "Best" team in baseball in 4 (count them FOUR) games straight. What is better than that. Ohhh and Boston's finest let the kiddies celebrate without letting them burn down the town.

Red Sox Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wino
28th Oct 2004, 22:08
Rest in Peace Babe,

The ghosts have been put to bed and the curse is over.

They picked a great time to get hot...

Kerry must be livid that Shilling is out stumping for Bush now...

Cheers
Wino

West Coast
28th Oct 2004, 22:12
Now what will the sportwriters have to write about when the Redsox play the Yankees next time?

Wino
28th Oct 2004, 22:36
Its STILL the greatest rivalry in sports.

And because it isn't just personalities, while the ghosts may be dead, the rivalry will live on.

Its great for baseball. Look at the ratings for the post season this year. Phenominal. As opposed to the ratings for 02 when the yanks got eliminated in the first round. Dismal ratings, even though it was a Gripping post season for a true fan of baseball, and not a particular uniform...

Love or Hate the Yanks, They sell tickets and drive up ratings, and that is GOOD for baseball.

Cheers
WIno

OneWorld22
28th Oct 2004, 22:58
Baaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

Godamn Red Sox.....My first memory was sitting in awe as my dad told me all about his beloved Yankees.....He infected me with his enthusiasm right there and it's never gone away.

My poor old dad.....he'll be spinning in his grave right now!

Wino
29th Oct 2004, 00:23
Yeah,
But don't worry, The beauty of Baseball? Pitchers and catchers report in 4 months....

We'll get em next year. And if you go to the cathederal of baseball and look at all the penents listed there you realize....

Chances are we win it all next year <G>...

I'm a huge yankee fan, but I am also a fan of the sport itself, I finish training on Nov. 1. IOE starts soon. Then dominican layovers...

You know what that means? WINTER BASEBALL! Yeah baby... Dominican baseball is a lot of fun....

Its kinda like when you sneak down to South AMerica in August with your Ski's cause you can't wait 4 more months for ski season in America. Your just sort of stealing something somehow...

Cheers
Wino

OneWorld22
29th Oct 2004, 08:06
Sounds good Wino! I love the game as well. I have strong memories of the smells of Yankee stadium, the Hot dogs that summer smell in the air, even the grass.

Baseball helped so many Father-Son relationships back in the old days, when the younger generation became so different to their parents, they still had Baseball to talk about!

One of my favourite films is "Field of Dreams" maybe because I'm a soppy old fool. I love the way James Earl Jones' character said why we love Baseball, "Because it reminds us when things were good"

The Red Sox-Yankee is one of sports great rivalries allright. I've been in Europe a good while now and it's comparable to the great Soccer rivalries like Celtic-Rangers, Barca-Real Madrid, Inter Milan-AC Milan and now Man U-Arsenal.

To me its better, it's more enjoyable as at those soccer matches there's always a threatening atmosphere and heavy police presence.

Ozzy
29th Oct 2004, 12:49
Yep, the Red Sox is no longer the team that hasn't won the World Series in 86 years - it's a target now. Anyway, it will be nice to see the team get its rings and hoist the banner in front of the Yankees on April 11th, 2005 at Fenway :ok:

To me its better, it's more enjoyable as at those soccer matches there's always a threatening atmosphere and heavy police presence. What, like Yankee stadium during game 6 of the ALCS???:E :E

Ozzy

Sailor Vee
29th Oct 2004, 13:48
For all the Yanks who do get pi$$ed off with derogatory comments regarding the 'World Series', one rejoinder is why did GREECE (Asia) win EURO 2004 and who the **** let ISRAEL join Europe for the frigging song contest!!:E

BALIX
29th Oct 2004, 14:28
Erm, since when has Greece been in Asia?

Back on topic, I hope I will get the credit I deserve for lifting the Bambino Curse from Fenway. I mean it stands to reason, doesn't it? My first ever baseball game was at Fenway in August. The Sox beat Tampa 6-4 which started them on a winning streak that closed the gap between them and the Yankees by the end of the regular season. This gave them the confidence to, erm, demolish those damn Yankees in the ALCS and then pyss on the Cardinals in the World Series.

So it was all down to me. I think 5% of the takings of the World Champions merchandise is a small price for them to pay. Anyonne got the phone number of the owner???

Go sox!

con-pilot
29th Oct 2004, 14:37
Ah you guys, Wino and OW I really liked you guys and now I find out you’re YANKEES fans.

Heck I think I was 12 or 13 before I found out that goddamnyankees was not one word. However I must blame me poor now passed dad for this. He hated the Yankees, he never told me why however, when I would ask he would yell, “Boy that is just the way is by God and don’t ask me again if you want to see your next birthday.” Actually he said that on most occasions when I asked a question on why he did things.

I tried using that same tactic on my own sons, didn’t work. Kids are smarter nowadays.

Astra driver
29th Oct 2004, 20:13
I'm a Yankees fan, but I've got to say;

"Way to go Red Sox!"

I must agree it is a bit of a cheek calling it the "World Series", but hey, to most Yanks the USA is the known world!

Ozzy
29th Oct 2004, 20:52
Interesting to note that in, most of, the news reports I read of the games, the team from the Bronx was referred to as the "hated Yankees"! I'm a Red Sox fan, but can't bring myself to hate an entire team; only A-Rod (fecking punk, slapping Arroyo's mitt like that), Jeter (cheating scum), and Matsui (fecking great batter),...fer starters :E ;)

Ozzy

ElectroVlasic
29th Oct 2004, 21:18
I must agree it is a bit of a cheek calling it the "World Series", but hey, to most Yanks the USA is the known world! Well, to most Yanks outside California, that's not a part of the known world either! Same for Texas too, at least in my book :)

Astra driver
29th Oct 2004, 23:02
"Well, to most Yanks outside California, that's not a part of the known world either! Same for Texas too, at least in my book"

What can I say, I just live here!