PDA

View Full Version : Q about GA and survival kits requirements in Canada

fernytickles
20th Oct 2004, 19:09
What are the rules on carrying a survival kit when flying a small twin in Canada? Is it a requirement, or a suggestion?

Thank you.

Chippik
20th Oct 2004, 19:59
I think Alaska has requirements I remember my uncle looking through some documentation a few years ago when he was planning on going to Alaska. Regarding the rest of Canada, I dont really know but I dont believe that there are any requirements (maybe reccomendations).

Kensiko
20th Oct 2004, 20:48
Probably not a requirement for GA, but this is the basic required for 703 commercial over land:

Survival Equipment - Flights over Land
602.61 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an aircraft over land unless there is carried on board survival equipment, sufficient for the survival on the ground of each person on board, given the geographical area, the season of the year and anticipated seasonal climatic variations, that provides the means for

(a) starting a fire;

(b) providing shelter;

(c) providing or purifying water; and

(d) visually signalling distress.

Mish Nish
20th Oct 2004, 22:53
Chippik - call me a pedant, but last time I checked, Canada still hadn't annexed Alaska from our neighbours to the south!

Fernytickles - :cool: Joe says go to Transport Canada's website www.tc.gc.ca look for Nav Canada - a booklet (mebbe online) called CARS - Canadian Aviation and Regs, or summat.:ok:

CD
21st Oct 2004, 00:32
fernytickles...

As was noted, the regulatory requirement for survival equipment in Canada can be found here:

CAR 602.61 - Survival Equipment - Flights over Land (http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/REGSERV/CARAC/CARS/cars/602e.htm#602_61)

The Canadian AIP contains suggested survival kit contents. You can also refer to the old ANO for a specific list of kit contents:

Old Air Navigation Order, Series V, No. 12 - Sparsely Settled Areas (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/Old-Regs/aa39.htm)

fernytickles
21st Oct 2004, 01:15
Thank you everybuddy, my question is answered now :ok:

MLS-12D
25th Oct 2004, 21:43
The old ANO (link provided by CD; thank you) is no longer law in Canada; but many would say that it should be. Certainly, the list provided in the ANO is much more comprehensive and realistic than the skimpy one in CARs 602.61.