PDA

View Full Version : Scary XP Fax !?!?!

BLUE SKY THINKER
20th Oct 2004, 14:32
Courtesy of Add/Remove Windows Components I have just installed the 'Fax Services' facility. .....I've tested it and it works perfectly, outbound. .....Two questions...

1) Why, when I activate the 'fax console' even when not connected to a phone line, does 'Norton Internet Security' firewall go completely bonkers, not only indicating "High Risk: Attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy Trojan horse blocked", but doing so six times one after the other (same when connected). .....Details show coming from my IP address? .....'Norton Internet Security' & 'Spybot' fully up to date.

2) I'm new to fax from computer, so excuse my ignorance and what is probably the blindingly obvious. .....I can see the mechanics of sending a fax from my laptop and it coming out printed on a fax machine on the other end. .....But what about receiving a fax without a fax machine at my end? Do I assume...

i) provided laptop is connected to the receiving phone number, fax will arrive in 'fax console' inbox? .....and...

ii) presumably, if this is the case, it will arrive via any number the laptop is connected to, provided sender knows which particular one at that particular moment?

Thanks.

YYZ
20th Oct 2004, 15:37
Ive just done the same with my Laptop, providing it is connected to a phone line and turned on it will accept the fax and save it to a designated area providing your settings are correct.

Any phone line will do to receive as long as the person sending it knows which one to use, you do not need a special line.

YYZ

BLUE SKY THINKER
20th Oct 2004, 16:47
YYZ.....

Thanks.

Are you having the same previously highlighted problem with the firewall, if fitted? .....Particularly curious about this.

YYZ
21st Oct 2004, 12:50
no problem with the firewall at all?
I do not use the windows firewall in XP SP2 though i use Sygate Pro Firewall, seem to work quite well?

BLUE SKY THINKER
21st Oct 2004, 17:14
YYZ.....

Thanks again.

Likewise, don't use XP firewall (Norton).

Still doing it. .....Curious. .....Anyone else got any ideas?

Ta.