PDA

View Full Version : RAF Kinloss

snafu
20th Oct 2004, 07:06
What's going on in the North?

BBC News about Kinloss (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3758624.stm)

Mad_Mark
20th Oct 2004, 07:21
Don't know the answer but reading between the lines...

"Started at the main gate" = armed guards?

"at 4am" = p!$$ed up individuals?

"security matter" + "roads in and around the area closed" = make your own mind up ;)

Wish I were still there, could have had the day off :D

Mad Mark!!! :mad:

Dimples26
20th Oct 2004, 07:27
A colleague just told me a guy (idiot) pulled a pistol on the armed guard and nabbed his rifle, and is now walking around the camp. At least something interesting is going on up there!

ppf
20th Oct 2004, 09:26
At least something interesting is going on up there!

Not quite interesting you :mad: .............frightening maybe but not interesting.

ppf :mad:

G-ANDY
20th Oct 2004, 10:41
It must be all that radon gas "leaking" out of all the granite driving everyone loopy up there!!

Captain Ratpup
20th Oct 2004, 11:09
Let's all just hope it ends without big bangs.

ppf
20th Oct 2004, 11:26
Without big bangs and soon.

ppf :(

ORAC
20th Oct 2004, 11:31
"A colleague just told me a guy (idiot) pulled a pistol on the armed guard and nabbed his rifle"

Well that fills me with confidence..........

c-bert
20th Oct 2004, 11:38
But it's OK, because pistols are illegal and I'm sure he'll need to apply for some sort of licence before he can use that rifle.....

The English Passenger
20th Oct 2004, 12:39
It's not very funny when you are stuck in your quarter behind the wire and you and your family were due to be going on a flight at 11am on your hols!

Silly Bugger has cost me a lot of money and lost us our holiday, It will make an interesting travel insurance claim!!!

:* :( :*

zedder
20th Oct 2004, 13:14
Hopefully they will now finally re-route the fence so that these Quarters end up outside the wire. Having said that, with the roads being closed as well, it may not have helped you get to the airport.

The most worrying thing was that I had to find this out via a call from a mate and the BBC News rather than a knock at the door warning me of the danger.

grousehunter
20th Oct 2004, 13:27
At last a helo is up looking. You'd think that they would have got the Regiment out looking for this guy, they love all this and it means we can all get out of here!!!!!! Its like SAR but without any food!!!!!!

Razor61
20th Oct 2004, 13:34
He's probably sat inside a Nimrod scoffing the food!

zedder
20th Oct 2004, 13:42
Don't joke Razor61. If it's another AEO gone wibble that might be exactly where he'd head for. I can't think of any at the moment that fit this description though:

"The man is described as 6'3" tall, of medium build with short cropped hair and a moustache. He is wearing black jogging trousers, a red anorak and a red woolly hat. "

From the same BBC Update:

Local councillor Jeff Hamilton said: "We're very concerned about any breach of security and with everything that's going on elsewhere in the world at the minute maybe it's even more worrying.

"But I would like to think the RAF are trained for issues like this and the situation can be resolved without anyone being harmed."

I'm sure we'd all like to think that Jeff. But the reality is .......

ppf
20th Oct 2004, 13:46
The disconcerting part about the helo search is it’s currently based around the quarters and buildings and not over the north side.

ppf :sad:

rivetjoint
20th Oct 2004, 13:52
Even if you do send the Rocks out looking for him would they be allowed to threaten or use lethal force these days when we're not at war or would they have to use colourful language and a feather duster to get the rifle from him?

Dimples26
20th Oct 2004, 14:13
Well I know the rumour network must be melting down over this, but I've just heard that it is a flight sergeant. No idea what trade.
Commiserations to the English Passenger, gutted! All part of service life I guess....yeah right!

ORAC
20th Oct 2004, 14:15
BBC:

"The man is described as 6'3" tall, of medium build with short cropped hair and a moustache. He is wearing black jogging trousers, a red anorak and a red woolly hat."

ppf
20th Oct 2004, 14:22
ah rivetjoint there is a flaw to your plan......will the rocks be trained to used the feather duster and will the risk assessment be done in time?

ppf :D

Flap62
20th Oct 2004, 14:36
The fluffy liberalism is really taking hold now - no "big bangs" indeed!!

Frankly it's a job for trained armed police (that'll be them setting up a control centre in Elgin then!) to go in and get him out and frankly if it was my family on base I'd want him dropped on sight.

althenick
20th Oct 2004, 14:51
It couldn't possibly be the same guy who held his family up in Lossie a few years ago? :confused: - Ex Crab and serving aux kept it up for about 36 hours I recall. I went to Lossie that weekend for a break and it was ruined! I believe he got 10 years so he'd be out by now...

I Hope no one is hurt (even the Miscreant) some Tooled-up Nutcase wandering around a base with family quarters within it doesn't bear thinking about:(

English Passanger - Hope you get a full refund mate - it'll no doubt be heart - breaking for the kids.:{

zedder
20th Oct 2004, 14:54
Base is now open. Don't know what the outcome was though.

Jacks Down
20th Oct 2004, 15:01
Unfortunately the local contingent of Rocks (51 Sqn at Lossie) are busy at Basra! I'm sure any left in the area would love to oblige but what orders/ROE would they have?

I suspect this would be treated as a criminal matter - it certainly would be if God forbid anyone gets shot - and Rocks (or anyone else in the military) aren't trained to operate in a civil police environment. Far better to wait until whoever this is gets cold wet and tired (shouldn't take too long, eh) and gives himself up than try to hunt him down amongst the married quarters.

wub
20th Oct 2004, 15:37
Reported on BBC website that the body of a Flt Sgt has been found on the base.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3760744.stm

lippiatt
20th Oct 2004, 17:28
My condolences to the family of FS Herring, what a terrrible shock it must be to them and to his colleagues at ATC Kinloss.

Ali Bongo
20th Oct 2004, 20:58
I worked with Phil a few years back in the tower at Benson. Nice guy and only been married a few years.

Desperately sad for his family ....

Chilli Monster
20th Oct 2004, 21:07
Condolences to the family - Phil and I went through Swinderby at the same time and were on the same Assts course at Shawbury. Bumped into him again at Lyneham a few years later just before he went on the JATCC course.

Whatever it was mate - hope you're at peace now