PDA

View Full Version : Ikea Product Names

spork
20th Oct 2004, 01:28
Am I the only one mystified by Ikea’s product names? Some examples of everyday items with peculiar names: Mysa Arstid – A Duvet, Karkel – Chrome drawer handles, Micky – A mirror, Plutt – A set of Wall Pockets, Funka – A Coffee table, and Groggy – A pack of Drink mats. Although some of these seem appropriate like Groggy, I thought us JBers could probably come up with far more suitable names for household items.

My immediate ideas: Scuff - A Doormat, and Plop – A Toilet roll holder.

pigboat
20th Oct 2004, 01:33
I won't even tell you what 'plotte' pronounced plutte, means around these parts. :ooh: :D

Disguise Delimit
20th Oct 2004, 07:26
SPORK -

I thought I saw YOUR name in an Ikea cattledog.

TamedBill
20th Oct 2004, 07:55
VaaastLuuuttttrrrhoooldddrrrr - bin

flapsforty
20th Oct 2004, 08:45
Spork, Ikea names often make playful but eminent sense in Swedish; the language of the people who started and still to this day run the company.
I'll take your examples to show you what I mean.

Mysa arstid for a duvet sounds weird until you realise that that 'mysigt' can mean cosy, cuddled up in front of the fire and arstid means season. Suddenly the name 'Mysa Arstid' becomes 'Cosy Season' and gives Scandinavians a message that this simple cheapo made in Kazachstan duvet is something that will keep them happy warm and toasty during the long scando winter.
Makes sense right?

Funka Coffee Table. The architectoral movement that reduced objects to their function which I think was called minimalism in English, is kind of revered in Scandinavia. People don't generally live in houses like that, but what they call 'Funkies Design' is well loved here. Calling a coffee table 'Funka' immediately gives it extra cachet, making it more attractive.

Generally speaking, Ikea names are just names in English or any other lingo, but become clever and amusing bits of neurolinguistic marketing if you speak Scando.
For the rest of the world, giving inanimate objects names, just makes them a bit more 'warm & cuddly'. It makes it easier for people to have a relationship with their wall to wall wardrobe if it has a name. ;)

eal401
20th Oct 2004, 08:54
simple cheapo made in Kazachstan
Is that true? Mrs 401 (A Kazakhstani) would be most interested.

spork
20th Oct 2004, 11:08
So Groggy and Plutt mean something? Disguise Delimit, my nephew has a cattledog, but he lives dunnunda.

Having wrestled with a hot bun this morning, I think Ouch could be a good name for a toaster!

As for having a relationship with my wall to wall wardrobe? I'll have to think about that for a while. :eek:

Mariner9
20th Oct 2004, 11:22
eal401, could you ask your missus for recomendations for hotels in Aktau, Shagyr, and Kzyil Orda - got a business trip there in a couple of weeks.

Big Tudor
20th Oct 2004, 11:28
Got me thinking about how places and objects get given foreign names to make them sound more attractive. Would Lake Bueno Vista in Orlando be quite so appealing if it were called Lake Nice View? Who would prefer to drive a Ford Party rather than a Fiesta?

spork
20th Oct 2004, 11:41
To convolute a tad more, what about RR promoting the Silver Mist in Germany and wondering why it didn't sell?

eal401
20th Oct 2004, 12:16
Mariner9, she might know somewhere in Aktau, as for the others I'm not sure.

{Edit}
No, she doesn't know. Thought she'd been to Aktau, but she hasn't.

Gainesy
20th Oct 2004, 12:31
Do Scania trucks make a mobile crane called Derek?

fishtits
20th Oct 2004, 18:19
I have a hat named podge...

EDDNHopper
20th Oct 2004, 20:17
Years ago, IKEA was selling a bed (or was it a mattress?) in Germany named "Gutvik".

What looks like a Swedish word or name actually means, when pronounced the German way, "good f*ck". The best marketing idea I have ever come across.

Boss Raptor
20th Oct 2004, 22:06
u think that is bad - I forget the actual verb/phrase but in Spanish it means I want/or want to go/take in Chile/Argentina it means, same phrase, exactly 'I want a f!ck' - you try learning I want to take a bus or similar!

pigboat
21st Oct 2004, 03:25
Dunno about the Rolls-Royce Silver Mist in Germany but after enduring a colonoscopy, an advert for the Ford Probe is the last thing one wants to be subjected to. :ooh:

djk
21st Oct 2004, 06:38
my storage cubes for my records are from the Akrobat range. can't seem to find the same ones over here in the US

simon brown
21st Oct 2004, 12:20
I remember Vauxhall were marketing a car in Spain and the name they came up with loosely translated meant "Bl*wj*b".

They came up with Corsa in the end...

Onan the Clumsy
21st Oct 2004, 13:54
my storage cubes for my records are from the Akrobat range. can't seem to find the same ones over here in the US Different sized records mate. ;)

CyclicRick
21st Oct 2004, 23:19
If I'm not too misinformed doesn't "Pajero"( a Mitsubishi 4x4) mean w*nker in Spanish? They didn't sell very many of them apparantly!
I heard a great story that the old Colt "Starion" was supposed to be "Stallion" but one of the Japanese sub-contractors misunderstood it 'cos he couldn't pronounce his L when they where asked to make the name plates.
The japs also have a packet of crisps called "Bum"!! Dunno what flavour they are, I was afraid to ask :uhoh: