PDA

View Full Version : UK AOC "type" removal

Ed Thrust IV
19th Oct 2004, 11:44
Here is a question for all you UK operators. You have a helicopter "type" on your A.O.C which due to lack of work or availability (owner sells aircraft) has not been operated for a while.
You have paid all the CAA fees, (Thousands of pounds) made all the Operations Manual amendments. (We all know how long that takes) Paid for the aircraft hire to conduct the CAA required proving flight. Paid for that aircraft to be included on the A.O.C on an annual basis.
Now the CAA are saying that maybe this "type" should be removed from the A.O.C. Granted they are giving a time period (Normally 1 year) for you to start operating the type again. However as we all know working in the on-shore industry you never know what aircraft will be available to you from year to year.
The basis for the CAA’s reasoning for removal of the "type" must be based on safety. However for any operator to start flying on a type they must have conducted all the necessary tests on any pilot prior to him starting Public Transport Operations. (L.P.C, O.P.C, Line and Area check, Emergency and Survival, CRM, I/R, engineering authorisation etc.) Except for the CAA proving flight these are exactly the same tests as when you put the type on the AOC in the first place.
So why cannot the type be made dormant indefinitely, as we all know the moment it is removed from the A.O.C (Full fees required to put it back on) a customer will walk through the door, buy an aircraft of the type you have just removed and demand that you start earning revenue for him or he will go elsewhere.

I’m not interested in CAA bashing, but I am sure that many companies have been through this and have had types removed and have therefore lost potential revenue.
So here’s the question.
What would you suggest to the CAA to allow the type to remain dormant on the AOC and what if any other checks (Other than those outlined above) would you think necessary to start Public Transport Operations again?
– Discuss, no ranting please, - well maybe just a bit if it makes you feel better.

Shawn Coyle
19th Oct 2004, 14:11
It might be instructive to look at what the basic rules for an AOC include - if there is a 'preamble' to the reasons for the rule, it might help.
It strikes me from this geographical distance (and time lapse since working in the UK) that an AOC should be type independent - it's an Air Operations Certificate, isn't it?
Do the rules state that there is a time period?
You might ask them what is a reasonable time period for removal of an aircraft - one week? one month? one year? Is the time specified anywhere? Or is this yet another example of 'requirement / regulation creep' (and I don't mean the type of person....)?

Pete O'Tewbe
19th Oct 2004, 18:11
This is obviously flavour of the month at Handbrake House as I am having a similar discussion with our Ops Inspector concerning the removal of a type we are not currently operating. In a nutshell, I have stated that we would be happy to remove the type providing that at any stage in the future we could reinstate it without paying the fee again. He is looking into it.

Maverick Laddie
20th Oct 2004, 12:36
"Pete O' Tewbe"

Quote " Without paying the fee again"

You've Two Hope's of that and one of them is "BOB"